Coyote Hunting tips

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Hasaf, Nov 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hasaf

Hasaf Active Member

First off, I am the words worst hunter. That being said, I mentioned having trouble getting to the range I normally use while I was having lunch.

One of the people there has a large ranch in Oklahoma and it was suggested that I come out and kill some random coyotes'. Apparently they had some people that regularly came out; but that group wasn't as careful about what was behind the coyote as the rancher would have liked.

As it is, the only rifle I have here is my AR. Beside that, my other rifles are in cartridges that are a bit heavy for coyotes', 30-06 and 8mm Mauser. As such I suspect that the AR would be a better choice.

Any coyote hunting tips? what are normal shooting distances for them?

One Shot likes this.
  2. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hunt them all winter. A lot depends on the terrain and how much hunting pressure they get. Coyotes are very wary, and the more pressure they get the tougher they are to get in range. They are really smart, especially older ones. Usually I get one or two chances at a given dog or pack on a given location.

I don't think patience is a huge virtue if you're calling. I think they come in or they don't. Half an hour is my calling limit at any location.

I have places where early in the winter I can easily call them in with a wounded rabbit or quail or fawn deer call. Later it gets tougher. Bait helps if it's legal, a stinky chicken and a quail call work on mid-winter hungry dogs. Be aware of the wind direction. Shooting them at night with a light works if it's legal in your area. I have sheep so I kill a couple very year in my pasture with a spotlight. I try to hide in boulders or brush to break up my silhouette. Wind direction, noise and camo are all important, they smell, hear and see very well.

Maybe it's me, but Coyotes rarely go along with my plans. Sometimes they sneak up close, lots of the time they stop out of range, pace back and forth and sniff and watch. If you get a good shot, take it, you may not get another.

A .223 is a good round, I use a .243 or a 22.250 mostly. Where we hunt you can easily get a 300 yard shot. Your rifle should be accurate to the range you will shoot. Sounds obvious I know. I like hollow point varmint bullets, most of the time they make a tiny entry wound and explode inside without damaging the pelt.

I haven't used the electronic calls.

Broot and One Shot like this.

3. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

Patience.
    Good camouflage and a good backdrop help a lot
    A caller is great, and if you can budget for an electronic caller they are worth it. (Not necessary, but they are nice to have)
    Know the area, and know where the coyotes tread most often
    And patience again.

When we go grab Yotes I have a friend who is a "Buy every gadget to be better" kind of hunter.
    He sets up a blind that is as big as my house, we have a shooting table, He has a remote controlled caller with like, maybe, 4 million different sounds. Then we sit and wait for dogs to come in close enough to take them cleanly. The area we go to you can easily get a shot at 1000 yards, but I prefer to stay within 400 yards.

And don't worry about overkill, you are not going to eat the meat, and probably not going to keep the coat.
    We bring a .223 auto, .243 pump, .308 auto, and a .300winmag bolt.

4. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I'm not really a coyote hunter but bought a call awhile back and gonna try it anyway this year. Have a 243 all ready to go. Well two of them, 75gr V-Max in one and 87gr spitzer in the other. But have though for a long time, fast CF would do some real damage to the hide, probably wouldn't save it anyway! But though for a long time than my 22 mag might be a good calling gun. What do you guy's think?

5. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I decided to try coyote hunting a few years ago and did quite a bit of research as to the gun to get. My .30-06 was usable but a bit of overkill especially if you are after hides.

What I found that many people liked was the .204 Ruger. Great speed and range, small entry wound and in most cases no exit wound. Very little recoil so you can actually see the bullet hit in the scope.

I'm still learning how to call so I have yet to take a coyote but I'm getting a little better with the gun by practicing on prairie dogs.

Good luck.

joe45c and Rae Harrison like this.
  6. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

HICKTOWN (AKA HAMPTONVILLE), NORTH CAROLINA
    The AR15 is pretty ideal for yotes. I got this one while deer hunting on black friday. I use 70 gr barnes bullet. As for calling, like was said call and give it 30 min- 1 hr and then move. It helps to go one night and just listen. Find out where they are dened up and hunt a few hundred yards away.

20171124_101507.jpg

joe45c and One Shot like this.