Crap. Opening Day was today and my season is over... ( 1 2 3 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/17/01 9:26:07 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Crap. Opening Day was today and my season is over...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another first for the '97!

Foggier than heck,couldn't see more than 75-100 yds til noon! From legal shoot to about 7:30, lucky if you could see 25 yds!

At about 8:00, nice doe crosses the bean stubble about 75-85 yds, crossing, I have the bead on her, '97 cocked, but I think she's moving pretty fast, pretty far, plus wait for the buck....No buck, I kick myself all day for not taking the shot, and thinking MAYBE she was closer, the fog screwed me up...Only deer I saw (I kicked one up from the briars while stillhunting, but didn't see it, it was THICK...)all day until...

4:00, back in the same stand, 4:05 nice doe comes out of the rasberry bushes running about 3/4 speed about 300 yds away in the cut beanfield and is hightailing it RIGHT at me...at about 75yds, with NO buck following,(I checked) she turns, heads for the fence that I straddle, she's gonna jump it at about 50 yds, I actually have time to think, I'm gonna get her in the AIR, I'll be able to brag about that shot for a LONG time, on the WING , she jumps BLAM ...I'm expecting a crumple, NOTHING...she hits the ground in SECOND gear, I let loose about 3 more times...out of frustration. I see her ears lay back, the ONLY indication she may have been hit, she goes over a little rise in the cut cornfield and disappears , at full speed. I'm thinking, way to go, Barnabus Blastalot, you MISSED!

I face front, kicking myself and DAMN, a young buck is coming in the SAME tracks, same speed! I decide, screw it, no fence jumping crap, as soon as he hits the 50 yd marker I put in the field at lunchtime (After wondering if maybe the morning doe was closer than I thought...) he's quartering but closing, I touch one off, a little right, hit hindquarter (crap), he stops and starts running in CIRCLES, I shoot again, MISS, and then CLICK. EMPTY.

I took my coat off because it hit 70 today, it's hanging over the side of the stand, and my slugs are in it, I'm fumbling, (throwing away candy bar wrappers and sandwich baggies) he runs right AT me (Thank God!) I load one and make a heart shot at about 20 yds, BUT he makes it to a ravine and tumbles in, CRAP, heart attack getting him OUT. Like 10-20 feet straight UP. I dragged him about 50 feet DOWN the ravine until I looked around, and decided it's getting worse, better go back the way he went in... Plus his horns ended up tangled in an old rusty fence roll the farmer threw in the ravine...on my way to him, I knew he was down, I first check the cut cornfield for blood JUST in case I hit the doe, NOTHING.

Thank God for cell phones! I call my buddy (my daughter's best friend's Dad who lives up the road from where I hunt) who was my Hoosier Deer Mentor, and he shows up with his grandson to help me drag...while I'm gutting, he sees two more deer, grabs the 97 and loads a couple of slugs...then the Grandson (about 7) says "There's a deer" and points, Bob says," here YOU know this old thing YOU take it. Get another one!"

It's too far, I don't shoot (THANK GOD!) (I only had the two tags)

We drag the buck, load it in his truck, he's about to drive me to my car, when I jump off and say I want to look for the doe...he says get on. I'll drive the field...I guess where she cleared the fence, had him turn...and RIGHT over the hill there she lay!

ONE hit, straight through (90 degrees) LUNG shot, I DID get her in the air! (THAT'S a story sure to get better with age!)

Filled BOTH tags, 4:05pm, and 4:06pm...

8 point, 1 1/2 year old 125lb buck, 115 lb 2 1/2 year old doe...

My FIRST two deer day...

Pictures on the way to GPostal, I'll see if he can post them for me...

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 11/17/01 9:48:47 pm

TallTLynn
    (11/17/01 9:43:02 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Crap. Opening Day was today and my season is over...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glad you got your deer (both of them). Sorry that it was over with so quick.

Still a two deer day is a good thing!

BlackGun
    (11/17/01 9:48:16 pm)
    If Dan doen't have time, I'll post them for you!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

MysteryMansShadow
    (11/17/01 9:56:58 pm)
    Glad your out of the woods early, wouldn`t want to be downwind of all those pumkin balls flying around day after day. Eat well and enjoy it. mms
    "?"

polishshooter
    (11/17/01 10:02:33 pm)
    I still have to see if any of them turned out. Just got done hanging them...what a PAIN.

It's supposed to get to 70 again tomorrow, so guess what I'LL be doing all day...

It's my first two deer day and MAYBE my last...it's a pain in the arse, twice the work...but every deer hunter should do it once!

I still haven't shot a really "big" buck, but my buddy is calling me "Davey Crockett" and calling all his brothers and bragging on me...none of them ever filed two tags on one day either...

They weren't big, BUT...I got over 200 lbs of TENDER deer....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 11/17/01 10:17:36 pm

AGunguy
    (11/17/01 10:03:37 pm)
    Hey, you got bambi and his girl friend...nice going. I'm green with envey. Me no can hunt anymore unless they let me shoot from a balloon. When they get ready to jump the fence...I'll just let some gas out and swoop down and catch 'em in mid air...hit um with a trunchon behind the ear.

Gunguy

polishshooter
    (11/17/01 10:06:14 pm)
    Wait a second, I remember, I did two in one day once before, right after I moved to Indiana...but I had two antlerless permits and got a 70lb doe in the morning and a 69 lb button in the afternoon on state land...(I know, BAMBI KILLER! ...not quite the same, though...and it was with a scoped custom 870,too, not the same there either....No bragging about that day, maybe why I forgot...and they weren't "At the same time."

This was my first two REAL deer day...

I have to keep reminding myself...you pay extra for veal....

Edited by: polishshooter at: 11/18/01 1:06:44 am

gpostal
    (11/17/01 11:07:09 pm)
    I guess crapping under your stand and peeing all around the place didn't work

I did forget to load up your shot gun with jb weld

shame on you for shooting at a running deer

this is the best i could do with them

did you know that 97 was a take down?

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/17/01 11:15:39 pm)
    Nice Polish, very nice......... I'll trade ya a pair of nice greasy.......I mean corn fed Mallards for the tenderloins out of either one.
    Browning-The Best There Is.

polishshooter
    (11/17/01 11:33:50 pm)
    Hey, I don't mean to gross anybody out. let me explain the blood. I check them in at the biggest bestest check station in Union County. The always do it up, free hats, deerburgers, etc.

They also have a DNR game biologist on duty all day helping check in, and he always asks if you plan to mount it, then if not, do you mind if he slits the cheek and checks teeth for age and health.

Since I have not yet shot one big enough to justify the $200 for a mount, I always say "Sure!"

(Those little racks on the fireplace mantle still look good, BTW, I call them "Tenderhorns" )

That's how he knew the doe was 2 1/2, and the buck was 1 1/2...hell, that's probably why she was running away from him so fast, she was probably his MOTHER...(I better not make any Kentucky jokes any more!

The Biologist dude is interested in the fact I and my son, (even though he hasn't hunted with me since he got his first buck, his loss, I'm getting these from HIS stand ) are the only ones with permission to hunt this farmers land, have ONLY shot 1 1/2 year old bucks, but the racks are getting bigger...spikes and forkhorns, to 8 pointers...

He says it's food, I say that MONSTER buck that walked RIGHT under my stand during bow about 3 or 4 years ago that I didn't HEAR much less get an arrow drawn on must only do diddly at night, and his kids are stupid...thus, I can shoot them...sounds scientific to ME!

But guess WHAT! They ran out of free hats they give away on opening day, when I checked them in! I gave them hell, said this was my BEST day and I didn't get a free hat, they said they ordered more, stop back in, they'd give me one, though...

And one other thing! (This story is getting BETTER!)

The fenceline I hunt over is the boundary of TWO counties...I got the Buck in Union, the Doe in MIDAIR between the two...you have to declare what county for doe, I had the DNR dude pick after I explained..."official" decision is "the county in which they DIE... "

That '97 SURE can shoot though, it can nail deer an ENTIRE county away!

Boy, the story is getting BETTER isn't it?!?! And I haven't LIED yet!!!

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/17/01 11:38:58 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Crap. Opening Day was today and my season is over...
    Good Show POLISH!
    I have never shot a deer flying through the air.
    Were you in a tree stand?
    How far did the doe run?
    I'll send you some dry ice with my address....
    I'm excited just reading your post. Thanks.
    Charlie D

polishshooter
    (11/17/01 11:56:08 pm)
    And sorry about the pictures...cheap digital camera, that my wife doesn't know how to work, long after dark after I got back from checking them in, and that same dense fog was rolling in again...the worst I ever remember in awhile...

HEY, I can sleep in tomorrow, don't have to be in the stand!

I told my Priest the only way he'd see me tomorrow is if I get my deer today...darn, I guess 8:00 mass it is...

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/18/01 12:16:21 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Congradulations PS!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
    (11/18/01 12:28:11 am)
    Yeah, Diff, I'm in the 2x4 wood stand I built for my son when he first stated hunting when he was 9 years old...he hunted hot and heavy until he was 13 and got his first buck, since then he's ALWAYS had sone extra curricular activity, sports or speech team or band or whatever on Saturdays, so he hasn't gone in about 4 years. He may have not liked killing it, either, which is OK, he still likes EATING it, so I'm not worried.

The stand is getting rickety, I didn't use treated wood...next year I either need to rebuild it, or buy a factory one...it's 9 years old....

I'm only about 10 feet up or so against a Walnut tree, but I'm at the end of a run of scrub trees, next to where two ravines start and run together, with creeks, and farther down is all hardwoods and cover, but actually over a BIG farmers field, with a smaller field wrapped in rough terrain and hardwoods..and both farmers seem to alternate...when one has beans, the other has corn...so they are "grain fed tender" ...

The Fence runs N-S, the Ravine to my South starts just West of me and gets STEEP quick running towards the East, the little ravine in front of me, just on the other side of the fence, (I face East) (the one the Buck ended up in) runs south for about 50 yds till it hits the other one... And I'm talking STEEP ravines...start as a "washout" in a field and drop 20 feet in about 10 yds....CLIFFS...

All the runoff ends up in a State Flood control Resevoir about 2 miles away...the Brookville reservoir, you can find it on a map...all around it is STATE (public) hunting land....I hunt the private land adjacent to it...

The soy field I face is about 500yds x 300yds, surrounded by GREAT deer cover...the field behind me (corn this year) is about 3/4 mile by 1 mile mile...surrounded by cover and hardwoods....

My stand is on the fenceline between the two fields, right next to decent cover...and parallel to (my right)the farmers lane between the woods and ravine along the fenceline to another small field just south, adjacent to another BIG field south of that...then the Dairy farm.

polishshooter
    (11/18/01 12:44:41 am)
    And, DIff, the doe ran about 75 yds in a strait line and died...perfect two lung shot BUT not blood trail, like usual with a lung shot...just a pool where she laid...

The Buck was a heart shot, he went about 40 yds after...blood ALL over, would have been easy to track...but in my experience, hearts usually go farther than lungs....this one was different, and if the ground didn't undulate so much, I may have seen her drop...

It's funny too, I've seen 12 guage slugs DROP deer in their tracks with a so-so hit at 100 yds, then have seen them RUN for a while looking like they haven't been touched with a great heart-lung-breadbasket hit at 20 yds...no rhyme or reason...

And thanks for the offer to post, Blackgun...but Dan did my last years, and I saw he was on line....

warpig883
    (11/18/01 9:50:01 pm)
    Congrats on the deer. Only one question.

Does that antique old thing your shooting have a damascus barrel and take percussion caps

cointoss 2
    (11/18/01 10:37:52 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Way to go Polish! You will have some fine eating this year. Congratulations!
    cointoss2

WyomingSwede
    (11/19/01 5:29:30 pm)
    Congratulations Polish...you and yours eat well my friend. ...and while you are at it ...get out you pressure canner and try canning some venison....never look at it the same way again. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

Zigzag2
    (11/19/01 6:18:04 pm)
    Great Goin' PS... Atta' Boy!

Bob In St Louis
    (11/19/01 9:12:41 pm)
    I'm all reved up to head back out tomorrow! Temperature has dropped, real fall weather now - hope I am as lucky as you!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

shooter22
    (11/19/01 10:45:11 pm)
    Way to go sharpshooter! Glad you got both your deer. I killed my fork last sunday. Dave got a huge doe this saturday. He cut his first finger almost off his left hand cleaning his deer. Had to go and have it reattached. Everybody in our party go deer, so we are happy. Nothing to brag about. My nephew that was at the BBq and shoot got three deer in ten minutes on opening morning(small buck and two does). His buddy who was hunting for the first time got a huge twelve point with a 20+" spread. Monster buck.

shooter22

polishshooter
    (11/20/01 12:03:16 am)
    Well, just got the last of the venison in the freezer...hung them Saturday with the skin on, and bags of ice in the cavity, wrapped shut...just in case I didn't get them both cut up Sunday...it was supposed to hit 70 again Sunday...

Got the doe cut up and in the freezer yesterday, but just skinned and quartered the buck, and put it in the old refridge I have in the garage on ice...(I know, I oughta get it FIXED.)

Just got done cutting it up, and it's all in the freezer...it's amazing how SELECTIVE you get when you have two deer...NO arm roasts this year...

Boy, that slug MANGLED the hind quarter on the buck...shattered the big bone, I only got around 5 or 10 lbs of meat from that ham, and I don't know if the slug split, or bone pieces made it over, but the OTHER side was bloodshot TOO!

Lots of what we call "Fry meat" instead of steaks from the buck...but that's OK, my family likes that best, chunks, floured, with lots of pepper, then fried...finger lickin' good...had to chunk it to check for bone fragments...sucks.

When you see the damage that 1 oz slug did to that leg bone, probably the strongest bone in the body besides the skull, you have a new found appreciation for "Big and slow"...

The good news is I DID hit the doe at least one other time, grazed the back...good thing I didn't mangle a backstrap...but there was ONE entrance hole in the chest, and TWO exits, you think the slug split?

the real fredneck
    (11/20/01 10:34:08 am)
    Congrats Polish
    The big-n-slow slugs don't tear things up like high velocity and explosive expansion. Several years ago a doe and button buck went running past where I was. Threw up the rifle saw deer in the scope and fired, button buck cleared the fence and just knew I missed, went up the hill to look found out the 7mm RM had engaged the "Auto-gut" feature, entrails hanging on brush and fence, left a trail a blind man could follow, found it about 70 yds away, prodded it with my boot to make sure it was dead, grabbed it by the ears and started to drag it out when it suddenly came back to life, jumped up and started to run away. In the best John Wayne tradition I quickly wheeled, thumbed the safety, fired from the hip at a range of about 15 ft. and hit the deer right in the ass with another hollow point. This experience broke me from those chancy shots, better to hope for another opportunity than have to feed most of your prize to the dog.

walrus1432
    (11/20/01 5:07:37 pm)
    you know...even with all this awesome venison added to the freezer...I AM still expecting TURKEY for Thanksgiving!!!
    Congrats Dad! And its a great story too!!!
    some of my floormates are really against hunting and weren't exactly too thrilled when I was talking about it and showing some of my friends the pics...but...they'll learn.
    At least I've convinced them that it is important to excercise your rights and guns are good!!! (that took awhile...so don't expect a quick miracle about getting them to like hunting!) But, I bet once they've tried some of that awesome authentic venison jerkey(which I ran out of in less than a week last year), they'll be more accepting at least! So...you'd better be making me jerkey dad!

shooter22
    (11/20/01 7:19:48 pm)
    Keep working on them Walrus, They will come around to a sensible way of thinking. It's sometimes easier for youth to hear that certain things are good from other youths. It is more readily accepted. You know, Us old fogies don't know all we claim.

shooter22

polishshooter
    (11/20/01 9:16:03 pm)
    I'll make my first batch of jerky tomorrow night...I already told Mom you'd want some to take back...

And I just picked up some more Largo ammo today, I'm going to let you shoot the Astra over the break and you can tell your friends you shot a HANDGUN! (Gasp!) I figured you'd like it, it's what I wanted you guys to bring back from Spain for me instead of the used fake swords from Toledo!

Mom fixed some frymeat tonite, the first time from this batch, darn was it TENDER!!!

A guy I work with said I just shot a 250 lb deer with 8 legs, that's all....

My boss took off the week to hunt in the UP...far as I know he still is skunked...I'm going to tell him he's supposed to get his deer opening day and get his @ss back to WORK like I did....

...of course, if I got skunked, I was planning on taking the cell phone and laptop into the stand on Friday and calling it an "office day..." (They didn't have to be turned ON, right?...)

polishshooter
    (11/20/01 9:31:40 pm)
    Oh yeah, and Fred? Had an old guy tell me a long time ago the way to tell a deer is dead is the eyes...take a LONG stick, stand to the SIDE (They KICK backwards when they get up,) and poke it in the eye, lightly...NO living thing can stand it without at least blinking...

I do that all the time now, WITH a slug in the chamber...

That's why when the finally allow rifles I'm going to use an M44...it has that bayonet...

the real fredneck
    (11/20/01 10:13:30 pm)
    Well Polishshooter
    The season ended for me at dark tonight didn't even see a tail for 11 days in fact this makes the 4th year I haven't filled a tag. I remember in my younger days when they were still trying to restore whitetails to the area you would see a lot more deer and there was a much more restrictive season. Much as I admire the work/good deeds they have performed, MDC has got deer season all fu*ked-up now. The majority of the hunting pressure is south of the MO river (as is 90+% of the public lands) and all the deer are north of the river on privately held lands where the landowners bitch about the excess deer but won't let hunters on them.

polishshooter
    (11/20/01 11:05:35 pm)
    Yeah, I hear that tune...Lots of state land here too, but too much pressure, while I did get one young buck on State land years ago, most I saw was buttons/yearling does.

In fact, I had a little finger of state land around a ravine surrounded by posted private that nobody knew was state, had it to myself for a few years (I got the topo map from the state), but as I was going to check in my deer Saturday,, I drove by it, it was just getting dark, and there were FIVE cars parked there, and a whole ARMY of guys coming out of those woods!

I stumbled on this land I hunt, the guy who owned it told me about it when I asked permission to hunt his main farm...he told me specifically (in front of his wife) NO, because his wife did not want "her" deer killed, and she hated hunting, but then a few days later, he saw me and said, "Don't tell my wife, but..." He told me about this other land he owned, and how the deer were tearing up his corn/beans...it was about 200 acres, but mostly farmland, but with a lane to drive back...I just went on my own to the dairy farmer who owns the land on the other side of the fence, told him I had permission from the first guy which he knew pretty well, and he said yes one year, then maybe not the next, he was afraid of getting sued, so I made up a nice "Release Form" for him that basically said I would NEVER sue him in return for permission to hunt, now he's my buddy...and he says ONLY my son and I, and asks me to run off ANYBODY else I see...and no driving on his land, he'll come with his tractor to get my deer if I need him too...and he "scouts" for me every year now too...really nice old farmer, who also wants me to shoot any coyotes I see...

The other guy sold his land, I sweated it out, it's next to impossible to get to the other land except by a LONG walk if I can't at least drive on his, and everybody said the guy who bought it would NEVER allow hunting...he did, (especially when I said the other guy had let me for years, and everyone KNEW he NEVER allowed anybody )...as long as I never drive or walk in the beans before he gets them out, and don't tear up the land driving on it, and don't mess with his live coyote traps... (he sells them to a preserve up north for $50 each where rich people hunt them on horses with hounds like in England...)

SOOooo...It took me a long time, but I now have my own "private" land...I still call them both every year to ask again, hat in hand, they both know me by name now and my vehicles...

You know, Ohio has it right, even though at first I didn't like it when I lived there...NO hunting on private land without WRITTEN permission from the landowner carried on your person...and the Sheriffs and Game Wardens enforce it, $50 fine! And ANY hunter can challenge another on private land, you HAVE to show the permission...and you can be run off or prosecuted if you don't have it...

It actually has made landowners MORE likely to give the permission, most gun clubs have preprinted permission/release forms all the owner has to do is sign, and he gets a copy, and the hunters actually police "their" own land they worked so hard to get permission to hunt, and keep the slobs in line...

I wish more states had it, and you'd see the farmers allowing more hunting.

It's other slob hunters making it tough to get permission, tearing up fences, shooting fence posts, leaving gates open, driving nails into timber, and SUEING landowners when they fall out of a tree that have them spooked...they DO want the deer killed off, they see the damage to the crops every day, BUT they want to control who is on their land too...

shooter22
    (11/21/01 12:02:26 am)
    OH Fred, don't start me about Missouri's Private landowners and their battle with deer. I hope the deer eat every crop they got in the fields. I had a nice offer from a member here but I had already taken my deer. Once again on public land with all the other nuts. I used to hunt a nice 1000 acre plot with no cattle, no fences, on building, nothing but grass chest high, and tree rows. Then a guy buys it and plants corn and beans. All I hear is how the states deer are eating him out of business. We offered to lease the land, put up gates and maintain fences, but he still refused. Now we hunt just south of his property and watch as the trucks drive through his fields and hunt deer. I don't know who tears up more the truck hunters or the deer. I am happy either way.

shooter22

Bob In St Louis
    (11/21/01 8:04:32 am)
    Where I hunt near Macon MO. is on private land. The landowner allows hunters on his property in limited numbers. He does sort of a lottery - you tell him how many days you would like, and he puts all the names in a hat, draws out the names and fills the week. I had one day last week, and two days this week - only needed one day this week though. Got me a big fat corn-fed doe yesterday.

the real fredneck
    (11/21/01 9:39:50 am)
    I don't hunt on public lands but the land use practices around here have changed in the last 20 yrs. Back in the 70's and early 80's there was still some agriculture in the area now every field has fescue planted for pasture, most of the mature woodlands have been cut so what we have is fields that have no food and woods (brush) that are so thick the only way to walk through them is behind a dozer, combine that with weather that was nearly 80 degrees and it makes for a piss poor deer season. Don't get me wrong, there were still a lot of deer killed around here but several were taken by unauthorized means. Wish I could find someone in north MO to do some trading, I take them spring turkey hunting and they take me deer hunting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.