The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the way things are going with reloading supplies I came up with an idea. I have a bunch of LRP and running low on LPP. I wonder what would happen if I used a primer pocket uniforming tool and made the pistol pockets the depth of a rifle pocket. Hornady and RCBS both make an adjustable depth uniformer. I know the difference between large pistol and rifle primers is a little over .010". I guess I should cut a 45 case in half and see what kind of base thickness I have.
What do y'all think, is this a recipe for disasster?

·
TFF Chaplain
19,677 Posts
Would that make the "base" of the pocket too thin?

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would that make the "base" of the pocket too thin?
That's my main concern. I guess that I am going to have to split a 45 acp case and a rifle case and measure the difference of base thickness'.

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
That's my main concern. I guess that I am going to have to split a 45 acp case and a rifle case and measure the difference of base thickness'.

There is only one way to find out, sacrifice a couple of cases for the greater good. :)
Cut one as is and cut a second one after deepening the primer pocket. Too bad you don't have a lot of different headstamped brass to slice in half to get a feel for the tolerances on web thickness of the pockets and if different head stamps are thicker or thinner than others.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
If I were to try this, I'd cut the powder charge by some amount.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
587 Posts
I haven't found anyone local that's willing to do that.
I may have you confused with someone else, but if memory serves me you travel to Michigan some. At any rate if this is accurate, and you are ever in So. MI along the I-69 corridor, I would be interested in trading LPP for LRP. I have CCI 300's and would trade 1k for 1k.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may have you confused with someone else, but if memory serves me you travel to Michigan some. At any rate if this is accurate, and you are ever in So. MI along the I-69 corridor, I would be interested in trading LPP for LRP. I have CCI 300's and would trade 1k for 1k.
I'm going to take this to a PM.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've reloaded .45 acp using lrp my load was 6gr unique under a 200 cast swc and mixed range brass. This load works well in my colt gold cup. I don't know if it will work in any other gun. I forgot the col but it was as long as I could git and still get reliable function ( seated long then shortened till I got function). Also had to seat the primers firmly (slow). Hope this helps lost...

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've reloaded .45 acp using lrp my load was 6gr unique under a 200 cast swc and mixed range brass. This load works well in my colt gold cup. I don't know if it will work in any other gun. I forgot the col but it was as long as I could git and still get reliable function ( seated long then shortened till I got function). Also had to seat the primers firmly (slow). Hope this helps lost...
You didn't have a problem with the primers being to high?

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
If you gotta ask, you know the answer already. Don’t do it. I just experienced my first head case separation from Winchester ammo on my 10/22. My whole face was sprayed with powder. Don’t want to imagine what would have happened without my glasses and this was just a 22 lr round.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you gotta ask, you know the answer already. Don’t do it. I just experienced my first head case separation from Winchester ammo on my 10/22. My whole face was sprayed with powder. Don’t want to imagine what would have happened without my glasses and this was just a 22 lr round.
No, actually I don't. Sorry about your issue with your 10/22, but if people didn't experiment and try things in the past, we'd still be using clubs.

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
TRUE! How do you plan to core out the primer pocket.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
Doh! Forgot about that.

Reactions: howlnmad
1 - 20 of 24 Posts