The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this is way out there so just humor me.

I have several hundred .311 WWII milsurp projectiles around 150 gn weight. The problem is they are tracers with an open bottom. Most won't trace and I have to de-mil them anyway because of where I live. They are extremely long to accommodate the trace material.

I'm having a hard time finding 123 gn bullets for loading in my SKS, so here is my idea;

1. De-mil the tracers by leaching out the trace material with a good soak in water. I've seen it done before.
2. Carefully trim the base of the projectile off and leave just enough of a copper lip at the bottom to fold over to make a lighter bullet. Or, just cut it to the base of the lead core.

I know it sounds like WAY too much work but where I live it's getting extremely hard to buy reloading materials.

I guess what I need is info from people who have had experience modifying projectiles on the bottom end. I understand that I need to go about it slowly so as not to separate the copper jacket from the lead core.

I know it sounds dumb and I won't be offended by anything so all feel free to chime in.

Michael

·
Registered
194 Posts
Seems to me that it would be extremely difficult to modify them all to the same weight within reasonable limits. But hey, if you got the time, go for it.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I think itll work just fine. I wouldn't expect fine accuracy but they'll do to to shoot rocks and beer cans with

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Try firing a few before before you do the work to several hundred. I would especially look out for lead building up in your bore.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe tracers are not lawful where I live.
Not sure where you live but in California, they are illegal due to fire hazard. Sometimes I get them in a box of Milsurp so I de-mil them by leaching it out in water. The trace material will dissolve after a day or so in water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts