Crazy

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by chaswea, Jul 12, 2020.

1. chaswea

chaswea Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For fun I go to that big online Gun and ammo biding web page and just pity the poor amateurs over paying for trashy used guns. I just saw the winning bid of $220.00 for 300 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm. That comes to .73 cents a round. I reload 9mm for about .12 cents a round. These are sad times and seeing what is going on in the gun and ammo business makes me mad.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    SLICE, cec2, ms6852 and 5 others like this.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Back in NY during the '70s I used to drop in on gun auctions more for the giggles of watching bidding wars escalate than anything else - I never bid on anything. Always amazed me the way presumably rational individuals would go completely bonkers in efforts to one-up a rival. Hence $200 shot out Carcanos and the like. :)

3. chaswea

Nothing is rational in the current market place

4. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

If what's going on now makes you mad, you'll be livid when the upcoming election gets closer.....stay tuned, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Telcotech, rawright54, cec2 and 3 others like this.
  5. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Funny, wife asked why so many people were buying so much and why the shortages in stores. Than she asked about ammo since during the OBAMA drought I would have her pay for ammo also, since Academy was the only place that sold CCI brand still at regular price but with limits. She got worried and insisted that I immediately start buying more ammo. I assured her that we were fine for the next 20 years, she replied make it 25 years.

Telcotech, Gudaki, rawright54 and 7 others like this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

All auctions are like that to some extent, even in good times. At our farm auction 20 years ago, I had some new, 6 ft. T posts that sold for more than you could buy them at the local MFA or other farm & ranch stores.

7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

People kind of lose perspective when they get stuck in bidding.

8. chaswea

I love your wife

9. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

There is a guy, Ian McCullum, who has a YouTube video channel called Forgotten Weapons, were he visits various firearms museums, personal firearms collections, and firearms auction houses to review certain firearms. He not to long ago posted a video of the final auction prices on guns of various types and vintages and some that or rare. Some the sale prices were astonishingly high. One was some obscure revolver that sold for over $12,000.00 (U.S.).

I highly recommend watching his videos if you really like guns. His videos are vary well produced, were he will first explain the history of the type of firearm, explain its particular mechanical function, and then do a disassembly of it if possible, while explaining with the correct terminology for all the parts and how they interact. Also. Do not let his long hair tied back influence watching his videos. This guy really knows his stuff. His adorning fans gave him the moniker of “Gun Jesus”.

10. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

I love auctions.

The idgets over bidding are hilarious
    I have made some awesome buys at auctions. It is a matter of knowledge and self control.

BlackEagle and chaswea like this.
  11. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My better half who's down in Idaho going through post-op physical rehab said pretty much the same thing when she called about an hour ago. She senses (as do I) that events are in motion that are going to be getting a lot worse before they return - if ever - to some semblance of normalcy, and she wasn't talking about the virus.

BlackEagle, rawright54, cec2 and 2 others like this.
  12. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I saw a meme of father and his son sitting on a fence facing each other. The caption under the father reads, “So son, what have you learned from all of this ?”. The caption under the son reads, “Need more ammo !”.