The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of old grandfather shotguns, including a Parker Bros double barrel, Winchester Model 12 16 guage, and Winchester Model 42 410.I have questions about those later, but for now I'd like to know if this lesser quality gun is safe to give my grandson as a first gun. It seems to be in good shape. The serial no is 06650.Does anyone have any information about this particular gun?

·
Registered
244 Posts
No one here can tell you if the gun is safe to shoot or not since we can not see the gun to determine its condition. Only a good qualified competent shotgun gunsmith can tell you that. Before attempting to shoot the gun take it to a gunsmith for a safety examination and to determine chamber size. Also you don't give enough information to determine just when the gun was made. Need to know if it is a outside hammer type or hammerless and the model number. Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1930+) made several models of both hammer and hammerless double barrels and when depends on the type. I came up with four dates based on .410 bore double of both types. Those are 1897, 1904, 1918 and 1928. For reasons unknown to me there is a demand for old shotguns both single and double barrels in .410 bore. The gun could sell for as much as $500 depending on condition and your location.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'll second Anchor Clanker, but add that if an early model it may have laminated (aka Damascus barrel's) and was likely designed for black powder shells. Do NOT shoot modern shells in it. The chamber design and barrel thickness will NOT tolerate modern pressures. Even a magnaflux or xray will not disclose internal faults in the barrels. It's not worth the risk. Get your grandson a modern .410 double or something, and hang this one on the wall.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If grandpa shot it within your memory, or even your dads memory, it's likely safe enough w/low brass shells. But have gunsmith look it over to be sure.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
If grandpa shot it within your memory, or even your dads memory, it's likely safe enough w/low brass shells. But have gunsmith look it over to be sure.
I'm not sure that is safe advise, Damascus barrels have been known to fire fine one day and the next day, oops, there gos another finger. There have been a number of excellent posts on the subject on this forum for more information.:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts