The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Crescent Firearms Co., New Empire model .16 gauge side by side hammerless shotgun. I'd like to find out: 1) The age. 2) Should I be shooting this gun? 3) Reloading data for .16 gauge shotguns. My 3rd Edition of Lyman's Shotshell Handbook is probably out of date.
Thanks.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
Please read the link below. A few pictureswould be helpful.

·
Premium Member
12,431 Posts
I don't know.

Your Lyman book should be just fine. I'm still using Phil Sharpe's book from 1937.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pix. It has some rust on the end of one barrel. This shotgun was my GGrandmother's field gun and I have used it the last 25 years as my Pheasant gun. The forearm is not original b/c I made it to fit me in 1992. I believe this to be a 1926 model b/c the serial# is S15610.

CrescentFirearms.16 (1).JPG gun.

·
Premium Member
12,431 Posts
One of the best looking Crescents I've seen!!! Still, it ain't gonna take 3 or 3 1/2 shells. Were it mine all it would get fed is light field loads.

The forearm and adjustable butt plate aren't to my taste but, it isn't mine and, if a shotgun doesn't fit you....they're very difficult to hit with...at least for me....and I don't hit too good if they do!!! That and it isn't as if you modified a Purdy or Boss.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Have the chamber length checked. If it is not marked 2 3/4", there is a fair chance it's chambered for the older
2 9/16" 16 ga. If so, 2 9/16" is available for a price or you can have the chamber lengthened for not much money.
I've had two old Crescents lengthened to 2 3/4", both had plenty of barrel metal to allow it.
Interesting that an old Crescent has a Morgan adjustable recoil pad on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have the chamber length checked. If it is not marked 2 3/4", there is a fair chance it's chambered for the older
2 9/16" 16 ga. If so, 2 9/16" is available for a price or you can have the chamber lengthened for not much money.
I've had two old Crescents lengthened to 2 3/4", both had plenty of barrel metal to allow it.
Interesting that an old Crescent has a Morgan adjustable recoil pad on it.
Hi Bill.
I put the adjustable butt plate on and I made the forearm so I could use it Back in 1992 when my dad gave me the gun. My GGrandmother was a smaller person than I so I modified to make it fit me. I ran many boxes of 2-1/2" shells through it and have no intention to rechamber the gun. I like using this shotgun for Pheasant hunting b/c it's light and quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts