The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is so much crime these days. Every morning there are multiple attacks---many fatalities---in my County.
I'm tempted to EDC something more tactical than my usual gentleman's pocket knife.
I have a Benchmade Presidio but it spends most of the time in a desk drawer.
(I do carry a Spyderco Delica when visiting my daughter in the big city of Los Angeles, along with a licensed CCW)
I wonder how many others have upped their knife game, as it were, in response to all the crime we're seeing?
Up to now I've always considered my carry knives to be simply tools for cutting errant threads, slicing apples or cheese or for more mundane uses,
I'm not knife fighter by any means----too old and fragile to even train much for that---- but for a last ditch defense a knife might offer some usefulness.

·
Premium Member
20,310 Posts
I carry a S&W Boarder Guard every day. Last winter a lady in front of me drove into a pond. Other people got her out before I got to her car. I went to Cabelas and bought this knife so I could get someone out if need be.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Never been stabbed but I've had knives pulled on me and I've been held down and cut. I'm my experience reach is everything. If two 200lb boxers get into the ring the lankier guy is going to get more hits. That's why they always mention the reach advantage. A person will block a knife until their hands are gone and their forearms are ribbons. Just can't fight that instinct. Sure a 3.5" knife to the heart would be good enough, but you will never get the heart. Especially when forearms keep getting presented before you. Is a single good slice on the wrist/hand/forearm followed by running away going to stop the fight? If not I'd go bigger. It's gonna be much harder to justify in the eyes of our law than dumping a magazine though. They frown on knife use. Best case scenario he gives up and sues you. Worst case he keeps fighting and you have to justify why he has two dozen stab wounds and why one wasn't enough. It's easy to yank a trigger 17 times because you are scared but a 60 second struggle where the other guy gets a bunch of holes in him is different. They are gonna ask "How do you know the third stab wasn't enough and he needed a fourth? Did you step back to see what you have done and if he was incapacitated or not?" But twenty times. Gonna trip up as some point even if you didn't do anything wrong. With that being said, the cold steel xl vaquero voyager is weightless, huge, razor sharp, and has the largest and strongest tri-ad lock you can get. I won't carry anything else.
Can't teach ya how to knife fight over the internet but I can say that karambit philosophy is fake BS. Reverse grip has zero uses on your feet. Keep your arm low and straight and swing straight up inside under the guard. That way he has to go past your blocking arm and past you to stop your knife hand that he won't be able to keep an eye on. You have great control at your arms natural resting position and it's much harder for them to guage reach. Just gotta surprise em once to make them think maybe it's not a good idea to jump you. The click of a big knife opening will usually do it better than a stern talking to, but guns are the way to go.
IMG_20180809_034025349.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking a knife on the off side would be useful if an attacker grabs your gun hand, preventing you from drawing.

·
11,742 Posts
Never been stabbed but I've had knives pulled on me and I've been held down and cut. I'm my experience reach is everything. If two 200lb boxers get into the ring the lankier guy is going to get more hits. That's why they always mention the reach advantage. A person will block a knife until their hands are gone and their forearms are ribbons. Just can't fight that instinct. Sure a 3.5" knife to the heart would be good enough, but you will never get the heart. Especially when forearms keep getting presented before you. Is a single good slice on the wrist/hand/forearm followed by running away going to stop the fight? If not I'd go bigger. It's gonna be much harder to justify in the eyes of our law than dumping a magazine though. They frown on knife use. Best case scenario he gives up and sues you. Worst case he keeps fighting and you have to justify why he has two dozen stab wounds and why one wasn't enough. It's easy to yank a trigger 17 times because you are scared but a 60 second struggle where the other guy gets a bunch of holes in him is different. They are gonna ask "How do you know the third stab wasn't enough and he needed a fourth? Did you step back to see what you have done and if he was incapacitated or not?" But twenty times. Gonna trip up as some point even if you didn't do anything wrong. With that being said, the cold steel xl vaquero voyager is weightless, huge, razor sharp, and has the largest and strongest tri-ad lock you can get. I won't carry anything else.
Can't teach ya how to knife fight over the internet but I can say that karambit philosophy is fake BS. Reverse grip has zero uses on your feet. Keep your arm low and straight and swing straight up inside under the guard. That way he has to go past your blocking arm and past you to stop your knife hand that he won't be able to keep an eye on. You have great control at your arms natural resting position and it's much harder for them to guage reach. Just gotta surprise em once to make them think maybe it's not a good idea to jump you. The click of a big knife opening will usually do it better than a stern talking to, but guns are the way to go. View attachment 255381
I would hurt myself with one of those.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It occurred to me Sharps when we only had 5 20 round mags for the new to us M16s and we thought we might be over run that night. I went and got a machete just in case. I still think that night had a phycological affect on me. I've been comfortable with a large knife ever since. For many years working all i carried was a stockman myself so I know where you are coming from.

Also, growing up in Brooklyn in the 1950s and 1960s I also took comfort in a knife in my pocket or even a rolled up magazine. I was always traveling on the subways and exploring the museums and loved the coin operated shooting machines they used to have along Times Square. I learned early that bullies will backdown if they think they might get hurt themselves.

Mostly my pocket knives have been 3" to 3.5" folders of all kinds. Lately though I'm enjoying a few Spyderco knives. I lost a really nice PM2 and while grieving, I ordered a couple clones on line; a PM2 clone and a Military clone. I've already given the smaller PM2 away but am enjoying the nearly 4" blade of the Military. That thing is a workhorse with plenty of room for your hands, even if you are wearing gloves. For serious cutting chores I've found the large blade and handle to be well designed. The problem with them though is other folks who gasp when you take it out. That's because they most likely have never used one.

Would it ever come in handy? Who knows? If someone knocks me down and is stupid enough to let me hang on to the foot they are kicking me with, I have no idea how long those tendons on the back of the foot and calf take to heal up - if they even can without surgery.

As to an actual knife on knife fight - forget it. Even with training it will be very ugly.
Below, top to bottem, Spyderco Police, Military, Delica and Stretch. The pink Delica has a 3" blade. (Photo copied off the internet.)
R (1).jpg

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Ted. Illinois finally legalized those auto knives if you have a firearms owner's id card. I never would have dreamed it possible. I have an out the side but haven't been drawn to an out the front yet. It's a shame you couldn't have retrieved it before someone else laid hands on it.

·
11,742 Posts
Ted. Illinois finally legalized those auto knives if you have a firearms owner's id card. I never would have dreamed it possible. I have an out the side but haven't been drawn to an out the front yet. It's a shame you couldn't have retrieved it before someone else laid hands on it.
Probably for the better, my Grandson has had two and the springs broke in both.
I may get another one.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
My father carried a small folding pocket knife ever since I can remember. He kept it sharp enough to shave with. The only thing I ever saw him do with it was cut strings or an errant thread. Occasionally he would use it to open a letter or package. I guess that's why I took to carrying one too. The only change I made was to carry a Kalashnikov Stiker since it has a belt or pocket clip & doesn't rattle around with my keys. The only problem I have is that I can't begin to put an edge on it like my dad did, but I am addicted to knife sharpeners.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I've shed a lot of blood with a stockman pocket knife, lots of it. Nearly all of it with the spey blade and at the expense of the testicles of a lot of bull calves. Then we started clamping them. As with a lot of things, those days are over as well.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My Grandfather who was in the Spanish American War had a pretty small pocket knife. He was also a machinist and I'd often watch him sharpen the knife. The thing I noticed him do most with it was sharpen pencils back in the old days. He'd use a pencil till you could barely hold it anymore. I'm sure he opened letters with it along with other things but that was just ordinary stuff to a kid. My family gave me his pocket watch that he received when he retired but I sure wish someone had held on to his pocket knife and that small stone he used. I was too young back then to have thought of such things.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I always carry an OTF and spring assist knife. If you see me running you"ll beat me. I stand to protect my family, friends and innocent.

Reactions: tedwitt
1 - 20 of 33 Posts