The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been checking all the usual websites daily for restocking of 9mm ammo. yesterday while looking i noticed that CTD stocked more and had in stock. It was ARMSCOR 124 gr FMJ 50 rds. price was $29.52! as i glance over my desk i see the January issue of CTDs catalog. And low and behold there is the same box of ARMSCOR on the cover for $12.29....wtf is that? talk about a markup! I will be hard pressed to buy anything from CTD again when you can go to Cabelas and pay regular prices with no massive mark up. they either have it or they dont.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's the problem. They don't have it. Regular price means nothing when there isn't anything to buy. Your choice is buy it now for $30 or POSSIBLY buy it 6 months from now for $20, it won't go back down to $12 for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
31,892 Posts
It's not just them. I drove by my LGS the other day and saw a sign that said "9mm .223 and 5.56 in stock". I stopped in looking for 124 grn 9mm. He only had 115's in stock for $35.99 a box

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
I cant complain much about the gouging. Im no better.. If I had stocks of 9mm ammo you can bet your biscuits id be getting what they'll bring. Somethings only worth what someone will pay for it..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It is mentioned all the time on this forum that when the SHTF ammo will be more valuable than gold. How can you be surprised about the price going up when it can't be found?

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
I, personally, don't see why anybody cares what cheaper than dogcrap wants for their stuff.

In 2008, when this happened the first time, and all guns and ammo went up 15% or so, CTD doubled and tripled their prices.

That kind of stuff should have made all gun-people swear off them for life.

2009, maybe 2010, when prices became sorta normal again, thye dropped back down to what others were charging, and PEOPLE BOUGHT FROM THEM AGAIN!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It makes absolutely no sense. I'll admit, I had quit buying from them a couple of years earlier because their customer service sucked. But even if I had been buying from them right along, I would have quit. I don't deal with people like that. Yes, it is their stuff, and they have the right to charge what they want for it. And I have the right to tell 'em to get stuffed, and truly don't understand why the whole "gun-community" didn't do just that.

·
Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,395 Posts
I don't blame them. It's very simple elementary economics. The demand is far beyond supply and they must run a business at the end of the day. With delivery dates for some calibers going out to May in some cases it would be asinine to honor December ammo prices. After inventory is depleted these guys still have to pay their staff, operating expenses and utilities. Just like a local gun shop, if they run out of inventory because they sell it at below market prices, they'll be starving for income for the next several months. Democrats cry fairness. They'd starve in these times. Businesses must keep a positive cash flow even as delivery is unpredictable.

This isn't unfair. It's just logical. Why do you think that everyone else is out of stock and not accepting back-orders?

I told some friends recently, I'm glad that CTD raised prices on some items to control supply issues, otherwise I never would have gotten those items.

·
Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,395 Posts
I used a local transfer dealer in January for an online purchase. I felt bad for the guy. He had just relocated to a new building and his inventory was DEVASTATED because they offered reasonable prices. Now, he can't back fill that inventory for months to come and he still has his operating costs to pay himself, his utilities and his employees. Although he was down about it, he still charged his normal $15 transfer fee. I believe his issues regarding supply to be legitimate. He was so down about it that he told one customer, "I've just moved in here and I have no reason to put a sign out front yet because I have nothing to sell." I had to call to ask about the color of the building to find them. I asked him about 2 M&P ARs on the wall and he said, "they're too expensive" in a disgusted tone. What does a business do when they have to sell goods every month to meet the bottom line and they cannot get inventory? Easy... They raise prices!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I don't blame them. It's very simple elementary economics. The demand is far beyond supply and they must run a business at the end of the day. With delivery dates for some calibers going out to May in some cases it would be asinine to honor December ammo prices. After inventory is depleted these guys still have to pay their staff, operating expenses and utilities. Just like a local gun shop, if they run out of inventory because they sell it at below market prices, they'll be starving for income for the next several months. Democrats cry fairness. They'd starve in these times. Businesses must keep a positive cash flow even as delivery is unpredictable.

This isn't unfair. It's just logical. Why do you think that everyone else is out of stock and not accepting back-orders?

I told some friends recently, I'm glad that CTD raised prices on some items to control supply issues, otherwise I never would have gotten those items.
While I understand the law of supply and demand, sometimes a business needs to take the high road and do what's right rather than do what's best for their bottom line. In essence, they are becoming part of the problem siding with those, for a few pieces of gold, who would take away a liberty we all enjoy.

I would not mind a normal bump in price, but this is greedy price gouging.

I wonder who owns them?

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,930 Posts
I'm sorry, but when CTD is $30 higher than Champions Choice on a brick of 22lr ammo I won't be buying from CTD any more. That is nothing more than gouging.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Those guys lost my business a long time ago, I can't believe they're still in business but it makes sense I'm sure they solidified their bottom line back in 2008 with their 500 percent markup.
I quit buying from them back in 2008 too. What they really need to do is get rid of their silly company name that mocks buyers with some of the highest prices in the industry. :mad:

·
Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,395 Posts
While I understand the law of supply and demand, sometimes a business needs to take the high road and do what's right rather than do what's best for their bottom line. In essence, they are becoming part of the problem siding with those, for a few pieces of gold, who would take away a liberty we all enjoy.

I would not mind a normal bump in price, but this is greedy price gouging.

I wonder who owns them?
I agree that a small bump is perfectly acceptable, and I wish that everyone would do it. Unfortunately, that's not the case. A few sites that I check still have the same prices listed from December but they're either out of stock and not taking orders or the back order ETAs are ridiculous. I don't get why so many are not raising their prices to maintain some inventory. After all, they're going to have trouble getting inventory back in stock. Since everyone has behaved like this, CTD has probably wagered that it's better to charge more and maintain an inventory than to sell out of everything and not be guaranteed the next delivery of goods to sell. You might call it gouging but I don't really think so. It's not like they're selling a good that you have to have to survive from day to day like a company that runs into a disaster area selling water for $45/gallon. If you want something, they might have it. It's a choice to pay more. The other guys don't even have it.

For example, I ordered some magazines directly from ASC on January 1 for their normal prices. I haven't seen shipping confirmation yet for those magazines. If they had raised prices a bit they could have maintained their income stream and probably have been able to more realistically keep up with demand. There's no telling when I'll get those magazines. I ordered 2 from CTD in the meantime for probably double the price. Sure, I paid more but at least I got them. It's not like I had to have them. I made a conscious decision to purchase them. I'm glad that someone was able to supply them.

Yeah, most might not agree with my logic on this but I don't understand those dealers who are sitting on no inventory of ammo, magazines, guns or other supplies because they wouldn't budge on their prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's better to have ammo in times of no money than to have money in times of no ammo.
Got a call yesterday a local gun shop had P-Mags Gen 2 for $17.
I've got more than I'd ever use but sure beats the $30 - 50 the gun show ripoffs are getting.
Told my bride when they get to $100 I'll sell 20...LOL
FWIW CTD, Midway, Brownells are and have been all over priced even before all of this,...on a good note they had a huge inventory

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I got a CTD catalog in the mail. I only saw the back cover, there, proudly displayed, was one (1) metal 30 round AR-15 magazine for ONLY $99.99. I thought WTF and threw the thing in the trash, not taking any time to browse the catalog as I usually do. I have never bought much from them and I can guarantee you that I will never spend another penny with them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's why I reload. The only factory ammo I have bought in the last seven years is shotgun and rimfire. To me it doesn't make sence to pay twice as much and during time like this four times more than what I can make it for. The best part is while the shelves are empty I can still go shooting any time I want.

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts
That's why I reload. The only factory ammo I have bought in the last seven years is shotgun and rimfire. To me it doesn't make sence to pay twice as much and during time like this four times more than what I can make it for. The best part is while the shelves are empty I can still go shooting any time I want.
Ditto, I don't shoot a shotgun very much so the only thing I have to worry about is .22, but right now I have plenty of that so I am not really worried there either.

I went over to Sports Academy yesterday. I wasn't looking for anything ion particular. I did look at their ammo section, I made the comment to my granddaughter - "I sure am glad I reload". They had NO handgun ammo and the only rifle ammo that I personally saw was .243. They did have plenty of handguns and bolt action rifles on hand. They had their Rossi Ranch Hand's in .45 Colt on sale for $350.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.