The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I certainly can understand a small bump in the price. But to double, and triple it? No reason for that. Everybody is outta stock and not everybody is tripling their prices. I have been diligant in checking websites nightly and have been lucky enough to catch a few at the right time and paid regular prices for Remington UMC, Winchester white box, and a few others at regular prices. But it seems every time something drives the prices up CTD is at the forefront! Though I must say did I buy it anyway........yes i did. But I dont have to like it!! I agree with Sparks134 " It's better to have ammo in times of no money than to have money in times of no ammo"

· Premium Member
20,199 Posts
I don't feel sorry for any of these guys. They sold 6 or more months of inventory in less than a month. They have made huge profits already. What I do know is a lot of these sales are what they call forward sales. Once the shelf's are full and the panic stop's sales will be very slow. Lot's of people have bought a year or more supply of ammo that they are sitting on. They won't be looking for more.

· Premium Member
9,191 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I got a CTD catalog in the mail. I only saw the back cover, there, proudly displayed, was one (1) metal 30 round AR-15 magazine for ONLY $99.99. I thought WTF and threw the thing in the trash, not taking any time to browse the catalog as I usually do. I have never bought much from them and I can guarantee you that I will never spend another penny with them.
Got the same catalog and had a similar reaction to the AR magazine. And they listed a ton of ammo with no prices. I've bought much from them in the past but am rethinking about future purchases.

· Registered
77 Posts
I just scored 500 rds if Hornady 223 bullets for 15 bucks per hundred and 250 Nosler 40 S/W for 40 bucks from CTD. Should arrive by Friday.

Cabelas on the other hand: I thought I had scored some Hornady and Sierra 223 but right after I completed the order process the status went to backorder. This happened on 2 separate orders before I found the Hornady actually in stock at CTD.

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,524 Posts
...This happened on 2 separate orders before I found the Hornady actually in stock at CTD.
You might have actually had to pay more to get the items too, shudder the thought... :eek: Yeah, I agree that CTD has helped me on more than one occasion during this availability crisis. It's simple economics.

· Registered
4,716 Posts
About a month ago I wrote CTD a nice email telling them that they'd lost a long time customer because of their price gouging. Of course no reply, so obviously they don't care. Well maybe they will when they are all stocked up again and no one buys, even at bargain prices. Just remember what they are doing when that happens and don't give them your business.

Of course I've noticed others jacking their prices up too. Of course they are in business to make a profit and it could be argued that they have a right to charge anything they want, but there is such a things as loyalty to your customers, and charging 4 or 5 times the MSRP for items is not what I'd call loyal.

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Even though most of the small gun shops may be run by folks that are good, honest, shooting types, they are still in business to make a living. I doubt if anyone is saying "lets see how many we can screw today". Large chains have set profit margins and will bump the price according to how much they are paying. So this obummer thing is a windfall for ammo/gunreloading supply sales, but there will be a day soon when inventories get back to "normal" and nobody is buying 'cause they all over purchased during the panic. Where does that leave the small businessman? Shelves stocked but no buyers. Hurt time...

So, how do you determine what is "gouging" and what is regular business sence, ie. supply and demand (the LGS is prolly paying bunches more too).

Getting all emotional ain't gonna help anything and "getting back at" the dealer who you think charges too much won't hurt anybody but yourself.

· Registered
19,354 Posts
About a month ago I wrote CTD a nice email telling them that they'd lost a long time customer because of their price gouging. Of course no reply, so obviously they don't care. Well maybe they will when they are all stocked up again and no one buys, even at bargain prices. Just remember what they are doing when that happens and don't give them your business.

Of course I've noticed others jacking their prices up too. Of course they are in business to make a profit and it could be argued that they have a right to charge anything they want, but there is such a things as loyalty to your customers, and charging 4 or 5 times the MSRP for items is not what I'd call loyal.
good point.. after the chaos is over.. if it ever gets over.. CTD need to find out that it lost customers...

G

·
CTD has banned sales of banned items to state governments of states that have banned them. But go ahead and keep boycotting. That will make my reloading supplies more readily available and cheaper.
So that makes it OK to raise prices 3000% in a matter of hours?

I have never shopped there just because I could find it cheaper where I did shop.

· Registered
882 Posts
We keep saying that we won't use their service any more, but the on line store seems sell out of anything we want. I don't buy anything from them on line because I think their shipping charges have always been excessive. If I go to their "brick and mortar" store in McKinney, Tx. I usually find the store full of people. I haven't been there in a couple of months so that may have changed. I did have a guy that came into Academy last week that said CTD was out of everything we were looking for at Academy though. Apparently we gripers are not enough to affect their current business. :eek:

· Registered
18,148 Posts
nope theres far too many city folk that are willing to shell out the big bucks blindly for the ammo they want, or the 2500 dollar AR that cost 800 a month ago.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
There is a LGS here that keeps a steady supply of re-manufactured ammo in just about all calibers except .22 LR. He will only sell to people that have bought their guns from him and has started limiting those purchases to 100 rounds per week.

He told me that he has dealers come in and offer him 25% over his asking prices for everything in stock. He says he is in the business of selling guns and keeping his customers supplied with ammo sells guns. No one wants to buy a new gun if they can't get ammo to shoot.

He has kept his prices low and only raised them when wholesale prices go up and most wholesale prices have only risen by 10 - 15%. Another shop in town has raised their prices by 40 - 100% on everything.

· Registered
5,262 Posts
If someone is willing to pay the price for items that are really marked up. Don't blame the seller, blame the buyer who will pay the price and keep prices high. If sheeple wouldn't pay the high prices than prices would come down. Companies lose money if the stock just sits there.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.