The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently work in the Food Industry. (Meat dept., major grocery chain.) I get deals. One of my current deals was two 8 oz. plastic jars of fresh (pasteurized) Crab Meat. Came in with the case damaged. Two "leakers." (Even at a twofer deal at 40% off, what one cost. Not cheap.) [$20/8 oz.] I have always loved to cook, and have worked most positions in the Kitchen of some high end restaurants. (Leaning towards Seafood.)

I am seeking recipes involving the use of Crab meat, specifically, Bisque or Crab/Seafood Chowder. (Not really interested in using this for Crab cakes.) Crock Pot type recipes.

I have my own recipes and thoughts, (but) would appreciate hearing from others, on their recipes for a decent amount (1 lb.) of high grade Crab meat, in the above two dishes.

*One other question - would freezing the meat/containers be a viable option, or do I need to use it immediately? I am prepared to do so. I would prefer to use/grill some of the numerous Steaks I have been bringing home instead though.

Thanks in advance, for any input.

(I can google recipes, but would prefer input from you guy's.)

·
Super Moderator
30,474 Posts
The biggest problem with wanting to make a bisque is that you would want the shells to boil to make your base.

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,939 Posts
Crab prices are like triple this year.... I can see lots of boats out at night. I don't like our local crab. But seems like there would be a lot of wonderful things you good do with jarred fresh crab.

Reactions: KenK/84Bravo

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It's been soo long since i've had any fresh crab. We had blue crabs off Coney Island when I was a kid. I still remember trying to ease them in the boat before they let go an plopped back in the water. I think I was about 5 back then. Mom must have had some recipes because I developed a liking for it but they are long gone. The stuff from VN in a can is barely noticeable in a crab dip. Central Illinois is not known for crabbing off the bridges like I remember so many doing as a kid back east.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I make an awesome Seafood Chowder. I may just use that recipe with all the cubed fresh fish/seafood I have access to.(Flounder/Cod, Shrimp etc.) and simply add the 1 lb of Crab meat to it. (It would have to enhance it.)

Crock pot, Chicken stock, with diced sweet onions, diced fresh mushrooms, diced potatoes, corn, minced fresh garlic, butter, salt/pepper, dill. Etc. After everything cooks down, add cream/half & half and the seafood for a short duration.

Critiques/tips welcomed/solicited.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
West Indies Salad. It’s a marinated salad that needs to marinate for at least 24 hours. 48 is better. Best use for crab meat that’s been picked out. We make that and boil fresh crabs when we catch them.

·
Super Moderator
44,807 Posts
The only time I eat crab is when my wife makes what I call "egg rolls", other folks call it sushi. It is not sushi because I ain't eating anything raw. This is something that you might like. I will try to explain how to make it / them.

Buttered rice
Crab meat (meat from those big Alaskan crab legs work best. Imitation will work if you can't get real!
Eggs

Bust your eggs in a bowl and using a fork or whisk, whip them.
Heat your frying pan and pour a thin layer of the egg in the pan and cook it.
Lay your thin cooked egg on a flat surface (cutting board).
Spread a thin layer of the buttered rice on the fried egg.
Lay a couple of grab legs in the center of that, and roll it - IE: Egg Roll(ed up).
Slice the rolled egg "log" into about 3/4 to 1 inch pieces, it will look like sushi rolls.
EAT and enjoy.

Thought I had taken pictures the last time she made them, but can't find them!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
We grew up on the Chesapeake Bay In Maryland, the home of the Blue Crab. The below recipe has been handed down from my wife’s grandmother and it’s to die for. Living here in eastern NC we get crabs right off the boat from a waterman friend darn near every weekend through the summer. You can absolutely freeze crab meat. Hope you like it.

Handwriting Font Paper Paper product Writing

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @Goldenwarrior1, copied to my recipe files. 👍

There was a place we went to while i was in the Military, on the Chesapeake shore, that we ordered Blue Crab (in Season) would have them spread out all over the table, on Newspaper, and pig out. I've remembered that for many years.

Being in the Mtns. of extreme NE TN/W NC, we are not known for good Seafood at hand. 😢

Green's Seafood in Bristol , I've heard, fly's in fresh Seafood every day or so and supplies all the Seafood restaurants around here, is the only source. (1 hr drive ea. way.)

LOVE Seafood. 😍

Reactions: Goldenwarrior1

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Like MD style crab cakes and fresh steamed crab dipped in butter.

The imitation crab like sold in most grocery stores doesnt do much for me.

Large fresh crawdads and rock lobster tail go down pretty good also but usually steam or boil those.

Fresh fish is hard to get now days unless you catch it yourself or are standing on the pier when a local fisherman pulls in with it freshly caught. Not cleaned and in ice doesnt always mean its fresh.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,828 Posts
We go out and catch our own but we just steam them. Yummy!

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Crab pizza recipe from my Commercial crab fisherman buddy's over in Ilwaco Wa.

Thin Boboli pizza crust, Spread 1/4 cup feta cheese on crust.
Mix 2 Cups crab meat with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, add more Mayo if dry, sprinkle with seafood seasoning, 1/4 - 1/2 Cup grated onion (to taste), Spread mixture on the pizza, sprinkle Mozzarella cheese or three cheese on top, for some spice they add chopped jalapenos
Bake @ 400 for 25-30 min.
Food Ingredient Seafood boil Seafood Recipe

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
@KenK/84Bravo the ice water in this recipe has to be extremely cold. Also don’t substitute any other oil for the Wesson oil. Believe me it makes a difference. This recipe says marinate for 2 to 12 hours. It’s much better if you marinate for 12 to 24. We eat it as an appetizer with crackers. Bayley’s Restuarant at Fowl River south of Mobile came up with this many years ago. Now you can get it in most seafood restaurants on the coast
Font Material property Rectangle Paper Paper product

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
We do basically the same recipe as Larry but leave off the feta and add mushrooms to the mixture. Put mixture on an English muffin and put it under the broiler to melt the cheese.
Food Wood Fish Ingredient Cuisine

·
GUNZILLA
8,383 Posts
Here is a simple one I use because I am lazy.
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
1 small onion diced
1 cup diced potatoes
2 cups frozen corn
8 oz crab meat or more to taste
4 cups whole milk
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. I like mine more spicy so I add more, do it to your taste.
1/2 cup heavy cream more if you want it thicker.
Salt and Pepper to taste
chives thinly slice.
4 slices thinly sliced bacon fried
Fry the bacon to your liking, remove from pot and drain pot of bacon grease but do not wipe dry. Heat the butter over medium heat add onions and salt to taste sautéed until soft, add flour and mix until well incorporated and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the corn and potatoes Begin adding the milk a little at a time stirring well between each addition. Add the cream and season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste, simmer on low until potatoes are tender add all the crab you want and simmer for a couple of minutes to warm the crab and garnish with chives and the bacon bits.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks all. Some good tips/recipes there. (Copied to my Files.)

Making my Seafood Chowder now. (Crock Pot.)

1 1/2 qt. Chicken Stock.

5-6 fine diced Russet Potatoes.

2 large fine diced Sweet Onions.

A heafty teaspoonful of dry Crushed Dill and seeds.

4/5 tabs ea. Butter and Margarine.

Salt/Pepper.

A can of Mexican style sweet niblet corn with red/green Bell Peppers.

1/2 a large shredded Carrot, off a Mandarin.

About 5-6 dried garlic cloves, super fine diced.

Crock Pot on High, until vigorous boil. Low/simmer for another hour or two.

(After everything cooked down/softened) -

A quart of Half and Half.

About a cup of a friends homemade cream of mushroom soup, with a ton of fresh sliced fresh mushrooms in it, with some cooking Sherry in it (Fresh Mushrooms from another friend.) 😁

1 lb. of fresh minced crab meat.

1lb. of fresh finely diced Flounder.

1 lb. of rough diced Shrimp.

Possibly part of a pkg. of Loaded Mashed Potatoes, to thicken if needed. (Will see @ the end.)

Any further additions/advice sought/solicited encouraged.

Great Cold, Windy, Snowy Day's fare. Mmmnnnn.......................................😁

Held off on the 1/2 & 1/2. (It breaks down with heat in the Crock Pot on extended heat. Pour a little bit in to ea. Bowl at serving. (Much Mo' Betta.)

Reactions: ms6852

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chowder turned out AWESOME!! (Best I have ever made.)

(And) It should have. It has $60 (retail) of Seafood in it. (I did not pay that.) 😁

Two pints (8oz. ea.) of fresh Crabmeat @ $20/pint.
One lb. of rough diced shrimp @ $10/lb.
One lb. of fresh Flounder, rough diced @ $9/lb.

Have had 2 big bowls yesterday, and two big bowls today. Excellent cold snowy weather fare.
Mmmnnnn................................Mmmnnnn.........................................😚

Reactions: msheff

·
Super Moderator
44,807 Posts
I remember the one and only time I made clam chowder. It was shortly after being stationed in Rhode Island. We lived a couple of miles from Narragansett Bay so we went over there and dug up our own clams. Those Rhode Island folks called them quahogs so I started calling them goathogs. Anyway, since I had always liked canned clam chowder, I had the wild idea to make a pot of it.

Now, me being assigned there from Tennessee, the only cookbook in our house was one called "Minnie Pearl Cooks". My wife shucked all of the clams and I got the cookbook out and prepared all the ingredients and dumped them in the pot and cooked them up. I followed the recipe to the letter, the problem I had was that the cookbook did NOT say that the clams had to be cooked before putting them in the pot! That was the nastiest stuff I had ever put in my mouth, tasted like raw fish!! I have not eaten clam chowder since that evening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts