The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old and notoriously unreliable Erma LA22. I think it is all original but it needs a new firing pin spring. I have ordered a replacement spring from two different and reliable parts sources and they do not fit. The spring goes over a guide pin, and then inside the firing pin extension which is a hollow cylinder. The problem is, the wire gauge of the replacement springs is slightly too large to fit without binding between the guide and the spring. I am certain I have the model number and series correct. Does anyone have enough experience with these to know if there was a version that took a lighter spring? My best guess is I have an early model which Erma later modified so they could put in a stronger spring. Maybe the original spring was not strong enough to reliably punch the cartridge rim. When it is working it is fun to shoot.
Thanks for the help, this is a great forum.
N.D.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sorry, no idea. I vaguely recall reading a quite detailed article about the LA-22, its successor, the KGP-69, and the centerfire "baby Luger" KGP-68, but I don't think it would have the information you're looking for.

Do you think replacing the striker (or the guide pin, if possible) would do any good? If the parts suppliers you have dealt with sell them, they might be spec'd to work with their replacement striker springs.

I know you'd rather have facts than speculation, but that's all I've got. Good luck!

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Hi N.D. and welcome to the forum.

Bob's gun shop lists both the firing pin and firing pin spring available - $35 for the firing pin, $10 for the spring.

Here's the link: http://www.gun-parts.com/erma/

They list the spring for each model separately. If you order one from them, make sure you let them know the model (i.e. LA-22)

Have you tried simply stretching the original spring a little? That may help. It isn't a permanent or long term fix though.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
sometimes the recoil spring and the firing pin spring get confused. They look very similar and sometimes mistaken for one another. The recoil spring is higher gauge

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was thinking about trying Bob's. The recoil spring is enough different that they can't really be confused. Stretching the spring does not work, the wire is still too big, but I tried putting it on a mandrel, spinning it, and reducing the outside surface with 600 grit sandpaper. That actually worked, but there is something "just not right" about that kind of fix (or do we just call it, smith-ing?). It is possible the striker and spring are a pair. It would not be possible to increase the size of the cylinder since it must fit in the slide, but I suppose it could have been made some with a slightly larger I.D.? Will update later if I find the answer. Thanks again, there is a lot of expertise here!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Possible but no guarantee solution. You know the length you need right? Just need a slightly smaller diameter? Check Wolf Springs. See if they have something that you can buy that might work. Or buy a variety spring pack of various size springs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been wanting a spring assortment of this and a dozen other projects, bnut was not sure where to look for one. The stuff at the local hardware store is all to big. Wolf Spring it is then.
Thanks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have been wanting a spring assortment of this and a dozen other projects, bnut was not sure where to look for one. The stuff at the local hardware store is all to big. Wolf Spring it is then.
Thanks!
brownells or gunpartscorp .com sell several diff spring assortments diff kits have diff spring sizes for smithing,,call them and tell them what you are looking for ,, am sure one of the kits has what you need,, they usually have what i need

1 - 8 of 8 Posts