The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that we're halfway through 2013, what would you say is the average price for the common rounds, .22LR, 9mm, .45acp, .223, .308 and 12 Gauge ~7-9 shot clay shells?

Gun ranges are ghost towns... Have you been doing any shooting? Is this really the new norm? Stalking Walmart for shipments?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do a google searchon line. This will give you an ideal. Also check GB.
I shoot however i have been stocking ammo since 1994.

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
I was at my LGS yesterday. They just built a new range and it is empty. I have been able to get ammo some times. I was able to buy 2 boxes of 9 mil yesterday for $20 a box. I never pass up on any 22 and have built up a nice supply. I go to my LGS and 2 big box stores every week in search of ammo.

I have been paying $30 a brick for 22. $20 for 9 mil. $40 for 44 mag. I have cut down my range time to once a month so I can build a supply of ammo.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Don't look for things to get any better any time soon!

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Don't look for things to get any better any time soon!
I dont know carver, 223 ammo has dropped 200.00+ a case on auction sites and its continuing to drop and its plentiful. This is a good sign. I see several sites offering ammo now that have been out for months. The tide is slowly changing, but it is changing.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Dan, I can't speak for the on line sites, I don't order on line because I don't (can't afford to) order in bulk. But the LGS are still empty around here. No hand gun ammo at all, what little comes in is sold with in minutes. Same thing applies to rifle, or shotgun ammo, and .22LR is usually only found in 50 - 100 round boxes, and don't stay in the store more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I was at wallyworld sunday, and I saw the largest amount of 7.62x39 that the store has ever had- about 40 boxes or so, at $5.18 a box. It was $4.95 before the mess.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Dan, I can't speak for the on line sites, I don't order on line because I don't (can't afford to) order in bulk. But the LGS are still empty around here. No hand gun ammo at all, what little comes in is sold with in minutes. Same thing applies to rifle, or shotgun ammo, and .22LR is usually only found in 50 - 100 round boxes, and don't stay in the store more than a few minutes.
i also don't order online anymore as I can't set at the house and wait for ups to bring it and sign for it.

it's great that it's making it to online dealers. but if local retailers, especially the large giants, can't get it. the problem is far from solved.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I am not saying the problem is solved. But its better than it was. Many people are forgetting back in 08 we had a similar problem. It wasnt quite this bad but it was similar. Just seeing the prices drop online is a good sign. This means demand is being met and people are done paying panic prices. As soon as they quit paying these prices they are getting now, it should start getting back to some sort of normal. I look for somewhere around the end of the year or so...as long as the dems dont create another panic situation....

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
not nearly as bad.

I still have a good bit of my bulk order I placed back in 08 that me and my stepdad split.

·
Super Moderator
28,052 Posts
I stopped in the LGS the other day and he had a large supply of PMC 223 for 12.95 a box of 20 and American Eagle at 19.95 a box for 30.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I am not saying the problem is solved. But its better than it was. Many people are forgetting back in 08 we had a similar problem. It wasnt quite this bad but it was similar. Just seeing the prices drop online is a good sign. This means demand is being met and people are done paying panic prices. As soon as they quit paying these prices they are getting now, it should start getting back to some sort of normal. I look for somewhere around the end of the year or so...as long as the dems dont create another panic situation....
"As long as the dems dont create another panic situation". I wouldn't bet any money on them not causing some more problems. They ain't thru yet!

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
not nearly as bad.

I still have a good bit of my bulk order I placed back in 08 that me and my stepdad split.
Well that's even done better than gold which has dropped from $1900+/oz. to $1410 (today) and some guessing maybe down to $1100-1200? (we'll see on that)

And ammo also can protect you. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just wanna say something. It looks to me that the Democrats are beginning to understand that there's no way in hell that they'll get any gun control passed through the Senate, much less the GOP controlled House, so it looks like they're shutting up about it now, for the most part.

So, can everyone do me a favor? Can we stop compulsively buying ammo now? I've been stuck with two boxes of 9mm forever now, and it would be nice to be able to buy some more sometime before I kick the can. :)

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
.......So, can everyone do me a favor? Can we stop compulsively buying ammo now? I've been stuck with two boxes of 9mm forever now, and it would be nice to be able to buy some more sometime before I kick the can. :)
That's right!!

Crazy demand creates crazy prices and shortages. Remember the crazy toilet paper shortage years back? Store shelves were cleaned out....all bogus.

.....and somebody makes a killing $$$. :D

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
If people will stop paying gouger prices. Than the price will go down. The NRA had a good article about ammo shortages. Also a lot of congressmen are facing mid term elections so there trying to get on the good side of voters. They don't want to go get a real job and have to work for their paycheck.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, can everyone do me a favor? Can we stop compulsively buying ammo now? I've been stuck with two boxes of 9mm forever now, and it would be nice to be able to buy some more sometime before I kick the can. :)
I'm with ya there. Except I'm only 21 and just got myself a rifle last year. Me and my buddies can't even find .22LR to go have fun on a Saturday.

Yet there are people with tens-of-thousands of rounds stockpiled, collecting dust, buying more and more for their own "use".

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I buy ammo just like I did before...when I have money and see it. I don't buy it from the gougers, and the only thing I've changed is that I use the Walmart app to see when my calibers are going to be in stock in the morning. I actually have more ammo on hand at the moment than ever before, a combination of being in the right place at the right time and buying online. I have yet to have to sign for an ammo delivery other than my spam cans of x54r from SOG.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I buy ammo just like I did before...when I have money and see it. I don't buy it from the gougers, and the only thing I've changed is that I use the Walmart app to see when my calibers are going to be in stock in the morning. I actually have more ammo on hand at the moment than ever before, a combination of being in the right place at the right time and buying online. I have yet to have to sign for an ammo delivery other than my spam cans of x54r from SOG.
Do you shoot any of it, or just accumulate?

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
I used to only buy ammo that I intended to shoot relatively soon. After seeing the last shortage and now this one, I've been stocking up. I've slowed down now, but even through the worst of it I was able to find deals to build my stash without breaking the bank. I'll probably start shooting again real soon here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts