The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a custom made Weatherby V in 375 H&H mag. Serial number dates it to early 1990's. Made in Japan. It is unfired mint condition. The stock is the real mystery. Hoping someone her can give me some info. From the pictures can someone tell me what kind of wood it is and what the grading would be. The checkering is 26 lpi fleur-de-lis style with ribbons. Forend has wrap around checkering and rosewood tip. Classic style with cheekpiece. Mint condition. Any idea who the maker might be? Any idea on value. I know I am asking alot. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
The stock is Grade AA Walnut, I would assume Weatherby makes their own stocks in house including the checkering. I can’t tell from the photos are they hand cut or pressed checkering. Considering the cost and value of a Weatherby I would hope they are hand cut. Others here may be along soon with a better answer.

·
Premium Member
17,650 Posts
I've never been much of a Weatherby fan but, didn't they have different style stocks over the years? I seem to remember that being one and taht being one of their checkering patterns. That looks like machine cut checkering to me. Please take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weatherby made a stock similar to this one called the "Classicmark II" in the early 1990's for only 1 or 2 years. Classic styling with cheekpiece and black round forend. The difference is in the chekering pattern. It had a more conventional pattern and it didn't wrap around the forend like on this one. Also the wood wasn't as nice. Here is a picture of one.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts