custom muzzleloader pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by grandprixlover03, Apr 10, 2009.

1. grandprixlover03

grandprixlover03 New Member

Hello I am very new to this so bear with me. I have a custom muzzleloader pistol. My husband got it from an older man in Paducah Kentucky. He said he had received it from the singer tom jones. I have no idea if this is true but he did have pictures of himself with several famous people include president Regan. It has no model number or maker stamped on it but it does have a gold metal heart on the handle. I have included pictures. Any information anyone could give me would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Remove the lock and see what's stamped inside. If no info, remove the barrel and see what is stamped on the bottom barrel flat.

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Don't know, from the pictures it looks very much like a standard CVA reproduction.

4. Shooter45

RJ, we are both thinking the same. Look at the design on the lock. As I recall, those are Italian made pistol parts.

5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

From the furiture, to the stamped ( not engraved ) design on the sideplate as both Shooter45 and I suppect, you have a modern reproduction flintlock. not an original. These were made in Spain by a firm called Jukar. It is called a Kentucky Style sold both in Flint Lock and Percussion. Valued is listed at around 125-150. Sorry about that.

6. grandprixlover03

thanks so much for all the information guys. I am going to try what you suggested about the lock and barrel. I really appreciate your help

7. grandprixlover03

OK I got the barrel off and stamped on the bottom of it is

GETZ
    Beavertown, PA

So I am assuming it is just a basic replica. I am interested in selling it if anyone knows a good place online to do that. It seems to be in perfect working order.

8. Shooter45

Getz Barrel Co is still in business in Beavertown,Pa. They have been used in many custom built ML rifles and pistols. Any info on the back side of the lock ? None of the Spanish replica company used barrels of that quality.

9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Go to show, pictures can lie.

10. grandprixlover03

no there was nothing on the back of the lock that we could see.

11. Shooter45

Judging from the barrel, it's a modern repoduction. Are you anywhere near Indiana ? The NMLRA range is in Friendship and someone at one of the National Matches could probably identify the builder or at least tell you if it's a kit gun. It also a great place to buy and sell. I'm still questioning the lock.

12. Contenderizer

Contenderizer Member

I agree that its likely a reproduction. Contact Getz and see what they can tell you. By the way, it's a quality reproduction based upon the grade of the wood I think I'm seeing.

13. Shooter45

I don't think Getz ever built any guns.

That lock still looks like a CVA lock but I hope I'm wrong. I just can't imagine why someone would build a pistol with a quality barrel and a nice piece of curly Maple wood and that lock.

14. AR1911

AR1911 Member

I agree. CVA kits never came with wood that fine, nor American barrels.
    But it sure looks like a CVA lock.
    I suspect it is a custom, but probably built to a price.