Customer Service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mjolnir, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

So I was recently shopping for a new gun and found that every store I went to the service was worse than on previous visits. I was not greeted when I walked up, in some instances I was not spoken to at all. When I did receive help I was treated as though I had never handled a firearm before. I understand that people who work at gun-shops are having to deal with a lot of first-time buyers but I don't feel that is justification for treating everyone like a first-time buyer. The shops I visited were small shops not parts of big chains either. If that is the type of service I can expect right now then I'm very tempted to stop shopping the independently owned places first. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

I do find the gun shops to be interesting places and typically the customer service being on the low side. It seems as if most of the counter people are too interested in strutting around making sure everyone sees their holstered carry.

On the other hand, I have been in several stores that understand that they are a retail business and need to treat their customers in a proper way.

3. Stays_Crunchy

Stays_Crunchy New Member

I'm relatively new to the firearms hobby, and I've had pretty good experiences so far.

The guy at the Army surplus store where I bought my M1 Garand was fantastic! He was genuinely friendly and let me handle every rifle in the place before I settled on the one I wanted. We ended up talking for quite a while.

When I bought my Taurus PT92 and my Springfield 1911 at two completely different pawn shops (both of which are regular gun dealers with new and used gun inventories, as well as your regular pawnshop items) they both took time to show me whatever pistols I wanted and took the time to educate me on them as well. They were busy as he11, so yeah maybe I felt a little rushed on the 1911, but she was never unfriendly and she still took as much time with each customer as she could.

4. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I have done business with 4 different gun dealers in the last year and have been treated well by all of them. Three of them were independly owned with two being branches of the same business. The fourth was a Dick's Sporting Goods which is something like a big box concept in sporting goods. They have all type from golf to fishing, hunting, clothing, etc. The staff was eager to serve but obviously didn't have the experience with fire arms and ammunition as the local folk. There is a local Wal Mart that employes a couple of clowns in the gun dept. but I can overlook them.

There were some recent letters in one of the shooting magazines on this. Sorry I can't remember which one as I subscribe to several. The issue was the one mentioned earlier where the clerk was more interested in showing off his knowledge, or rather what he thought to be knowledge, than learning the level of expertise if the customer and trying to assist in the purchase.

5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I've had widely varying experiences at the same shop depending on which employee was attending to me. The funny thing is that the one who treated me like I was an idiot was probably five years younger than me (I'm 25) and the most respectful one was probably in his late 70s.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

There is one particular gun shop in Athens, GA that I will not buy anything in, just because of the way they treat people. The last time I bought anything in that store, about 4 years ago, I was ignored for the better part of 45 minutes while the 5 employees at the cash register (6 feet from me) discussed what they wanted for lunch. I was the only customer in the store at the time, yet they did not help me until I finally had to physically grab one by the arm when he walked past me the third time. It took me over a year before I could even go back into that store and I have yet to buy anything there.

7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

There's a local store I've used quite a bit that is absolutely disrespectful most of the time. For instance, I've been in there once and bought a Taurus PT145 used. I went back a week or so later and wanted to buy some targets and a spare magazine. The full-size targets require someone behind the counter to get them from the back. I finally flagged down the guy I bought the PT145 from, and asked him for targets. He didn't remember me from the prior week, and acted like it was going to kill him to get the targets. When he got me the targets I asked about a magazine for the PT145, and even reminded him that he was the one who sold me the gun. He said, "they're over there," and left... I looked and found only magazines for PT745s. I went back and finally got his attention again. I told him there were no PT145 magazines on the shelf. He says, "well, we can order 'em and they're about the same prices as the 745s..." As I was about to say, "order one" he left again. I haven't purchased anything in the store since. I've purchased numerous guns, ammunition, a gun safe, trail cameras and clothing in there in the past. In fact, I emailed the president of the store and told him about the situation and he was appalled. They act as if unless you're buying a $800-$1000 gun they don't care for your business at all. He wanted the employee's name to take action but I assured him this attitude was prevalent in more than one employee, and that I had no intention to get someone fired. I also iterated that my wife felt that we were ignored on several occasions.

Gun shops are hit or miss (no pun intended). Some get it, and some don't... :eek:

8. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

there are two "local" gunstores here in my hometown. Ed & Dale's and Duncan Gun & Pawn. my experiences in Ed & Dale's have been less than desirable. when i was looking for a new centerfire rifle after i returned from basic training i shopped around a bunch of private gunshops to get the best price. for a while i was considering the ruger hawkeye in .338 federal. when i went to Ed & Dale's to get a price i was presented with a rather stern "What do you want that caliber for!?" from one of the co-owners, Ed. i ended up gettin a .308 hawkeye from Duncan's. the service is much better there. i have since came to be on a first name basis with pretty much everyone that works in the store and actually have classes at the community college with a few of the employees.

echoing what pony said...the local gun stores are "hit and miss" :p:rolleyes:

9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Locally, I have had the opposite reaction. Must have something to do with being the only female in the store. I walk in and they practically trip on one another to show me pink guns. After they realize I know guns, then they try to sell me used ones because the only new ones in stock are pink....

It's a bit tougher to get attention in Cabela's lately, it's so crowded in there you have to wait in line. They're generally pretty nice and manage to have patience if you're only looking. I don't know what they're all so happy about! LOL!