Customizing a 10/22 stock

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Virginia Patriot, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

I have a black nylon stock from a Ruger 10/22 laying around here and I have the notion to paint it. What kind of paint should I use? Do I need to prime it and put a base coat of white first? Any help and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. About all that I have decided is that I would like patriotic red, white and blue. Thanks in advance.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Depending on how you want to paint like dipping or spray paint. You can prime but, don't have to. If your stock is already a color that you plan to incorporate for example: like black, or od green and you want to do a camo paint job, I would just remove the action and barrel and use a cloth and alcohol to wipe the stock. This removes the gun oils and hand and face oils. I've used sponges before for my patterns. I prefer like a natural sponge with big pores and pull a piece apart while the sponge is dry. For paint use Krylon and the colors you like. Spray a little paint into a piece of wood or cardboard and from the wet spot of paint, dip the sponge on the paint than dab it around the stock. Repeat process with different paints and a different piece of sponge each time. Afterwards if you like the flat color leave it be, or you can spray a couple of coats of clear coat to protect it.

Virginia Patriot likes this.

3. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input. Now all I have to do is decide what design and colors I will be trying. Of course, once I get it done, pictures will be posted.

ms6852 likes this.