Cut away Welrod build thread

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Enfield 577, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Enfield 577

Enfield 577 Active Member

Hi All,
    Thought I might share this as I go, I always wanted to build a WWII Welrod pistol copy and now I have an original the journey has started. I decided for the initial one to build a cut-away version so you could see the guts of it. But being non firing version makes it simpler to make and no issues with heat treatment etc.

No doubt this post will get moved even though this in not about the NFA item suppressed gun, more the manufacturing process....keep an eye out for updates as it progresses.

First stage started the receiver.

Attached Files:

BlackEagle, Kvasir, tuckerd1 and 2 others like this.
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

What are the original wipes made of? Have heard they last about 15 shots prior to replacement before making a non sealing hole in them and how hard is it to replace them. I know these are not high rates of fire weapons, so would think the low round count would be just fine for its intended purpose.

With all the new makes of suppressors the wipe has all but been removed and this is understandable for high volume fire, but I have always found older models that used wipes are much quieter, certainly in that style of suppressor.

3. Enfield 577

I understand that the wipes were made of rubber, I can just about see some red rubber material looking down the bore but, as yet I have not been able to get the front end cap off.

I ever do manage to get the cap off I think it is an easy job to pull out and replace them (there were three) mixed with steel washer type baffles. When new the gun came with new rubber wipes and a long hook to remover the baffle stack.

Kvasir likes this.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Enfield, have you seen this site?

http://www.timelapse.dk/welrod.php

All KINDS of information. Eighteen metal baffles set a quarter inch apart. Three rubber washers. The baffles, obviously, have holes in them, the washers don't. Fifteen of the baffles have a hole just slightly larger than the bullet diameter. Three of them have half-inch holes. These three go on the muzzle-side of the three wipes. The bigger holes allow the rubber someplace to be pushed to by the bullet. I thought that was cool - never considered it.

And since rebuilding one could be dangerous - put a small-holed washer where a big one should go could cause the bullet do deflect through the side of the can, or plug the barrel, causing a KABOOM on the next shot - they came up with a replaceable ready-made innards kit. Pull out the old one, drop in the new one, good to go.

[​IMG]

5. Enfield 577

Yes I know that site well thanks Alpo, lots of good information.

6. Enfield 577

A bit more done, though as you would expect a long project, interrupted by customers ha ha

Attached Files:

Grizzley1 and BlackEagle like this.