Cute little revolver!!

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sharps4590, May 29, 2020.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had to go to a neighboring town to get license for my Solstice. The licens in our town is beneath contempt for how disorganized and slow they are. 2-3 hours to get plates..I don't think so. Anyway, down in Salem where I went there is a big, pretty darn decent pawn/gun/reloading supply/outdoor equipment shop. It's never safe for me to go in there but I don't get to Salem very often, though it's only 22 miles.

Welll...I saw a rack of about a dozen percussion revolvers, Colt and Remington's from little pocket pistols to the 1860 Army and 1858 Remington. They even had two 1849 Pocket Pistols or, as they're also known, the Baby Dragoon. I carried one of those with a 6 inch barrel as my trap line revolver for a couple years and always did like the little pea shooter. I got to looking at one.....wrong move on my part... and it accompanied me out the door along with 1,000 large rifle primers. I knew it was rough internally, you could feel it. Got home, tore it down and on the back of the hammer, where the main spring rides on the roller, there was a fairly large, by comparison, piece of flashing from the casting that never got ground/filed/polished off before assembly. The main spring was riding over that and felt as if it added two mor clicks to the four there normally is. Really felt weird. I cleaned that up, took a bit off the tip of the main spring, lubed it up good...it was a bit dry...put the little devil back together and it's like new money! Here it is next to one of my 1860 Army's for perspective. AIN'T IT CUTE!!!!....lol! Oh, this one has a 4 inch barrel rather than the 6 inch of my previous one. Thought I had some balls or a mold.....nope. Evidently sold the mold with the other revolver and melted down the 1/0 buck I also used in it. Soooo...gotta order a mold.

P1010013.JPG

2. Driverdan

Driverdan Well-Known Member

.....now I want one....

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

What caliber is that? If it is a .36, PM your address to me and I will send you a mold!

4. sharps4590

Thanks George but it's .31 and I have a .375 mold for my Navy. If I remember right my other one only used 12 grs. of Fffg. I never chrono'ed it but I think books give them a bit over 600 fps. I think that's about like the 32 S&W...except for bullet weight. It's a pea shooter, that's for sure!!

Mold is ordered. Doggone Mid-way, they wanted $3.00 more for a single cavity than Mid South did for a double cavity.

mudman35962, tedwitt, flboots and 3 others like this.
  5. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Fun lil chooter

Mid-South is my 1st go-to.

mudman35962, tedwitt, flboots and 2 others like this.
  6. sharps4590

Mine too Wild but, I had to check. Graf's was the same as Mid-way, Natchez didn't have one. Wasted my time checking bass pro.

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have an urge for one, along with the conversion cylinder.

Problem is, last price I saw for the gun was $200, and the price for the conversion cylinder is another $200.

I just don't have a $400 urge.

But it would be neat. Would not have to mess with caps and balls and loose powder. Just shove 32 Smith & Wesson rounds in it.

mudman35962, tedwitt, flboots and 3 others like this.
  8. Driverdan

Driverdan Well-Known Member

Isn't that what the stimulus check was for ??

9. sharps4590

Not my stimulus. I gave all mine away.

I know Alpo. I've kinda lusted for one of the replacement cylinders for either my 44 Army's or my '51 Navy. Just not enough to spring for one. I didn't know they made one for the 31's.

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Apparently they no longer do. Every place that shows one on a web search says discontinued when you're at the actual website.

Kenny Howell, who made them, lists them on his website, but if you click on it you come to an error page, saying that page has been discontinued.

mudman35962, tedwitt and flboots like this.
  11. sourdoughjim

sourdoughjim Member

What is the date code? It appears to be an Uberti (with the reddish wood) but it may be an Armi San Marco.

Nice looking revolver!

My ASM 1848 Pocket date code XIX/1963:

[​IMG]

Jim

12. sharps4590

Ahh, ok Alpo, thanks. It's unlikely I would have bought one but, who knows....I get a wild hair every now and then......got a safe full of them...lol

sourdough, I don't know who made it. There's no name on it and I had it down to pieces yesterday. I thought maybe one or more of the stamps would tell me but they're all the same as my other repros except for one of two letters in a square. My first one was an ASM and a 6 inch...which evidently yours is also? 1963!?!?! I didn't know they were making 1849's that far back! Lemme go get mine out of the safe and see if I can find a date code now that I know what it's supposed to look like.

Boy, I don't see anything like that on it. It doesn't have much more than what appears to be Italian proofs. I'll check them later. Under the lever it says "31 cal., black powder only, made in Italy" and that's it. The S/N starts with an "A" if that means anything and it's 5 digits.

13. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Now ain’t that a cute little thing. Good on ya Vic, I’m sure you’ll be making smoke in no time.

14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you don't already have a copy of this, you might want to save it.
    Italian date codes.jpg

15. sharps4590

No Alpo, I don't. Thank you!

mudman35962 and tedwitt like this.