Cute little revolver!!

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sharps4590, May 29, 2020.

1. sourdoughjim

sourdoughjim Member

Mine is an ASM, even there are no ASM markings/logo. Dr. Jim L. Davis (RPRCA, who passed in September last year) verified it as an ASM first year of manufacture as a supplier to the importer Replica Arms El Paso Texas. On the older guns the date code will be a Roman numeral stamped on the right side of the frame. After 1974, Italian date code stamps became two alpha characters in a rectangle. Usually, by that time, ASM moved all of the frame proof marks, logo, and date code to the bottom of the frame near the barrel lug.

The SN prefix "A" is an indicator that is an ASM. Uberti did/does not do that and Pietta never produced a Pocket revolver. I see another member (thanks Hawg, your sig gives you away) has posted a date code list. This one is more up to date. There is an error in it as the 1996 date code should be BH, not BD.

[​IMG]

Keep us informed. We all like other members' guns. More photos would be good.

Regards,

Jim

tedwitt, BlackEagle and ms6852 like this.
  2. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

In case you don't read Italian the statement on top simply states: Note: Prior to 1954, the test year was indicated by Arabic figures

tedwitt, BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.

3. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Nice pocket pistol! If I recall, those .31 cals are actually .323? First one I shot was years ago after replacing a hand spring in it. Took it for a test fire and used O buck, or maybe OO buck.

tedwitt likes this.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

sourdoughjim, thanks for the updated list

tedwitt and BlackEagle like this.
  5. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Both of you nice looking guns.

tedwitt and sharps4590 like this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Trap, I don't think so, at least the one I had wasn't and as sourdough's and this one are also ASM's they shouldn't be either. I measured the cylinder mouths on mine and I already forgot what they were....:confused: The mold I ordered is .319 and I believe that's what I had before. I'll try to get a groove diameter measurement tomorrow. I bet you used 1/0 buck because I had a 5lb. bag of that I used in it as well as cast round balls. That's also the bag I evidently melted down....:(

Thank ye kindly 'boots!

tedwitt likes this.
  7. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Nice looking little revolver, I always liked the looks of the pocket dragoons.

tedwitt, joe45c and sharps4590 like this.
  8. sharps4590

Hey TRAP, I just slugged the bore. It has an odd number of lands and grooves so my measurement isn't as precise as one would prefer. Best I could guesstimate is .315-.317, which would be right for a .319 mold. It isn't remotely close to .323.

The date code is exactly where sourdough said it was and is "CA" under a magnifier. That equates to 2006 according to sourdough's chart. Obviously these aren't hot seller's. It's new as the bore is still blued.

When looking down the short little tube I remembered a few years ago a friend had bought an original. I remember his being a 6 inch and asked to look at it and that barrel had gain twist rifling. IF I remember correctly most, if not all, the original Colt revolvers had gain twist rifling. Bearing in mind I frequently disremember things.....:oops:

Manny, I do good to read English!! Thank you!

9. sourdoughjim

sourdoughjim Member

That date code rules out ASM as the manufacturer: ASM went out of business in 2002, so it is an Uberti. The Ubertis I have seen usually are marked as such on the underside of the barrel hidden by the load lever. Alternatively they should have the Uberti logo somewhere on the revolver:

[​IMG]

If you have not priced a new Uberti 1849 Pocket lately, they don't give them away! That may be why they don't move many of them.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...oduct_name/RH0454+Uberti+1849+Pocket+Revolver

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...1/product_name/SS1179+Uberti+1849+Wells+Fargo

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/han...volvers/pocket-models/wells-fargo-pocket.html

Regards,

Jim

tedwitt likes this.
  10. sharps4590

Ok Jim, that logo is on the revolver. It's so faintly stamped as to almost be illegible until You posted a likeness. I couldn't tell if it was a crown or what.

I didn't give quite that much for mine. It was priced at $299.00 and I just paid it. I wasn't going to dance fro a twenty dollar bill.

sourdoughjim, tedwitt and Grizzley1 like this.
  11. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Now that looks like a fun little shooter! I do enjoy a fun cap and ball shooter. Something about the feel and smell just brings a smile to this country boys face!

BlackEagle, tedwitt and sharps4590 like this.
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Reason for the question mark, too long ago! I had both sizes at the time, but I do remember the cylinder shaving a ring off the ball. I was using some that were thumb pressed into a .32 S&W case with a light charge, for a breaktop revolver I put together from parts. Took a box of those camping, and shot the whole box up, popping horseflies from my camp chair.

13. Grizzley1

Sharps, here's how to get an accurate groove diameter on a bore with an odd number of lands & grooves.

On your lathe turn a piece of brass or aluminum that fits exactly in the bore, measure the rod diameter, now you know the bore diameter, next with an accurate set of calipers measure from the top of one land to the bottom of the groove opposite. Subtract the number you get from the bore size, this gives you the groove depth.

Bore size plus twice the groove depth equals groove diameter.

If you are unsure of the accuracy of a set of inside jaws on a caliper, make sure they are zeroed out when closed then you can open them up to a random number you pick and measure the inside jaws with a micrometer. If both the caliper's dial and the micrometer's measurement of the inside jaws are the same, you're good to go.

BlackEagle, tedwitt and sharps4590 like this.
  14. sharps4590

Well thanks Griz! I shall have to remember that.....uh-huh. I hope I do!!!

Well TRAP, I would think that qualifies under Ruark's book, "Use Enough Gun."

BlackEagle, tedwitt and Grizzley1 like this.
  15. Grizzley1

I've had to make plenty of barrels with an odd number of grooves and I have to be able to measure them. :) I'm lucky in that I already know the bore diameter as I was the one who drilled and reamed it to caliber, so custom making a guage pin to measure the bore is a step I get to skip. :)

BlackEagle, sharps4590 and tedwitt like this.