CVA Jukar Black Powder Pistol Question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Joy, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Joy

Joy Member

I've got two of these and both seem to have the same "problem." The hammer will not cock, and the trigger just kind of hangs loose and has no tension. IMG_0148.JPG

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

A percussion trigger is not usually spring loaded. The sear is probably not engaging. You'll have to remove the lock to see what's going on.

Grizzley1 and Kweeksdraw like this.

3. Joy

Joy Member

Okay, thanks. I'll plan to dig further.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Will the hammer move to the cocked position but it won't stay or is it bound up and won't move into battery?

Hawg likes this.
  5. Joy

Joy Member

It will move to the cocked position but won't stay.

6. Grizzley1

There are a couple of things that can cause this, the tumbler or the sear might be damaged or chipped, the sear spring might be broken or missing or something is "wood bound" in other words touching the wood inside the mortise preventing it from engaging.

Loosen the lock bolts and remove the lock and try to cock it, it the sear engages the full cock notch with the lock out of the stock chances are that something is wood bound. If the sear, spring or tumbler is damaged it will still not engage the full cock notch properly then something is wrong with the lock itself.

7. Joy

Joy Member

Thanks. That should help.

8. Joy

Joy Member

Seems like something is wood bound. Hammer will cock when I remove the lock. I re-installed it, and half-cock works fine now, but full cock will only catch now and then. Please see pictures. Thanks. IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG

9. Grizzley1

If you have an old kerosene lamp you can use it to soot the lock then you can install it and try to cock it. The soot will rub off on the offending piece of wood and show you where to carefully remove enough wood to make the lock function.

Hawg and soundguy like this.
  10. Joy

Joy Member