The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,852 Posts
Very nice rifle.

If I might ask a silly question - why is it called an At-One?

I was on Boyd's website yesterday, looking at a wood stock for my Savage MK II and they had what they called At-One stocks that looked like yours. I could not figure out what stock might fit my rifle so I gave up! What might the At-One mean?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accord to them, the stock is designed so your at-one with the rifle, you and the rifle meld into one an thus shoot better, or some crap like that. The stock is very comfortable, hopefully I’ll get to shoot it soon.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Very nice rifle.

I was on Boyd's website yesterday, looking at a wood stock for my Savage MK II and they had what they called At-One stocks that looked like yours. I could not figure out what stock might fit my rifle so I gave up! What might the At-One mean?
GD, the customer service at Boyd's is second to none. I have bought three stocks and I am very happy with them.
By the way one of the stock was for my Savage 93R 22 MAG, great upgrade, fair price, and good delivery.

Good Luck

Larry

Reactions: gdmoody

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very nice rifle.

The choices for the menu in the 3rd step can make you wonder.
for mySavage Mark II FVT it was the heavy barrel magazine fed if I remember right
Very nice rifle.

My best guess for the proper choice is probably the Magazine Feed Heavy Barrel (depending on the Mark II model you have.) It was the right choice for the MK II FVT I have.
The AtOne is a great stock. Great finish, solid build and adjustable to fit you. I love mine.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I planed on getting to the show yesterday, replaces a rear wheel bearing instead. N8iceShooters.I hear they are great shooters.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Always nice to bring home a new Firearm. 👍

I like your CZ Varmiter.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Nice CZ, Boilerjack22. The short barrel gives you options and sure makes it handy, like my Scout. These CZs are great shooters. Are those Skinner sights? How do you align the front post?
bought a CZ 457 At-One Varmint 22LR instead. I have it set up for iron sights

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The rear sight is a LPA sight that clamps directly to the picatinney rail, the front sight is a Mossberg tactical shotgun sight, that clamps the bull barrel, alignment is a slight trial and error session.

I’m not thrilled with the stock, basically the CZ parts are excellent, the Boyd part is junk. The fit and finish is on the level of a 7th grade wood shop project, that got a C-.

my fault, I have a Savage Mk II Minimalist, with a Boyd’s laminated wood stock, that’s rougher than a cob, I should have known better. The adjustable cheek and butt plate need a pry bar to move, the adjustment button, barely move and I got slivers off the poorly finished stock.

I took the action out of the stock, and buffed the stock completely with a series of 3 different grades of scotch-brite pads, it’s now duller, but it won’t now extract blood out of me, when I handle it. I put the rifle back together, and shot it again.

the rifle is extremely heavy, the balance is terrible and the foregrip is way too fat. If shooting with a bipods or and bags, none of this would matter, but I bought it to shoot in a open/iron sight league, where the gun has to be hand held, it akin to shooting a 2x4 with a barrel attached.

it’s my fault, I own the Minimalist, I know the laminated Boyd’s stocks. It a Gun show purchase, I held it for about 2-3 minutes, Did I think it out clearly, NO!. Am I sorry I bought it, MAYBE, maybe it will grow on me, maybe a new stock or maybe a life of a safe queen. Basically a great CZ action, trapped in a crudely fabbed 2x4 stock.

·
GUNZILLA
8,030 Posts
I could not figure out what stock might fit my rifle so I gave up! What might the At-One mean?
Which rifle. At the home page you select which make, model, and action you want and than click go, anything that pops up with different stocks is for your selected rifle.

·
Super Moderator
43,852 Posts
Which rifle. At the home page you select which make, model, and action you want and than click go, anything that pops up with different stocks is for your selected rifle.
It's a savage MK II FV-SR. I did all of that and find ONLY two fugly stocks available, which I do not want. When it gets to "Choose Action", that is where I get somewhat confused. To get those two fugly stocks I chose "Bolt action-clip feed-any action".

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Dang! It's a shame that you didn't find that rifle to be more acceptable. Still, very interesting job you did with the sights. This is the CZ Scout I mentioned earlier. It's a very basic model that shoots quite well offhand with fine open sights. You'll note that it presents a short LOP, but it's quite fun to shoot at the siluetas. I will say that the stock developed a small crack at the fore end, but it was easily glued satisfactorily.

Wood Textile Sleeve Bag String instrument

The rear sight is a LPA sight that clamps directly to the picatinney rail, the front sight is a Mossberg tactical shotgun sight, that clamps the bull barrel, alignment is a slight trial and error session.

I'm not thrilled with the stock, basically the CZ parts are excellent, the Boyd part is junk. The fit and finish is on the level of a 7th grade wood shop project, that got a C-.

my fault, I have a Savage Mk II Minimalist, with a Boyd's laminated wood stock, that's rougher than a cob, I should have known better. The adjustable cheek and butt plate need a pry bar to move, the adjustment button, barely move and I got slivers off the poorly finished stock.

I took the action out of the stock, and buffed the stock completely with a series of 3 different grades of scotch-brite pads, it's now duller, but it won't now extract blood out of me, when I handle it. I put the rifle back together, and shot it again.

the rifle is extremely heavy, the balance is terrible and the foregrip is way too fat. If shooting with a bipods or and bags, none of this would matter, but I bought it to shoot in a open/iron sight league, where the gun has to be hand held, it akin to shooting a 2x4 with a barrel attached.

it's my fault, I own the Minimalist, I know the laminated Boyd's stocks. It a Gun show purchase, I held it for about 2-3 minutes, Did I think it out clearly, NO!. Am I sorry I bought it, MAYBE, maybe it will grow on me, maybe a new stock or maybe a life of a safe queen. Basically a great CZ action, trapped in a crudely fabbed 2x4 stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shot it again today, its very accurate, my buffing made the stock usable, a friend is coming over tomorrow to see if he can whittle down the fore-end area of the stock. To cut the huge width down and to lower the weight and in turn improve the rifle’s balance

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I shot it again today, its very accurate, my buffing made the stock usable, a friend is coming over tomorrow to see if he can whittle down the fore-end area of the stock. To cut the huge width down and to lower the weight and in turn improve the rifle’s balance
Jack you had the wrong stock for your use good or poor quality aside, that huge width is part of the stock’s design. Too bad you “worked it” probably could have sold it for a fair percentage of the price of your new stock. You should still be able to sale it to someone.
Hope your KRG Brovo works out well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I probably could have learned to lived with the extra width, it just the the fit and finish was/is extremely poor. I buffed the crap out of it, with a series of scotch-brite pads and re-oiled it, it looks lots better. No more slivers or lost blood. That doesn’t cure the adjustable piece needing a pry bar to move. As I post earlier, my friends model of the exact same rifle, is perfectly finished and everything works as intended, I got a lemon.

I talked to CZ, they said it was a Boyd issue, talk to Boyd, they said send the stock in and they would “check it out, IF substandard, they would either replace or repair”, with absolutely no time frame, on turn around. There is no way I‘m waiting weeks or months, with an barrel/action assembly and no stock. So I bought the KRG.

I can’t sell anything, I ‘d have something worth $300, selling it for $10 and someone would counter $9, and I’d dig a pit in the backyard and bury it before, I’d lower my price. So I don’t even try, the At-One will collect dirt and grime in the basement, along with a few other of my failures.

While it shoots great, I can not wonder why CZ let it out, with that stock.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I probably could have learned to lived with the extra width, it just the the fit and finish was/is extremely poor. I buffed the crap out of it, with a series of scotch-brite pads and re-oiled it, it looks lots better. No more slivers or lost blood. That doesn’t cure the adjustable piece needing a pry bar to move. As I post earlier, my friends model of the exact same rifle, is perfectly finished and everything works as intended, I got a lemon.

I talked to CZ, they said it was a Boyd issue, talk to Boyd, they said send the stock in and they would “check it out, IF substandard, they would either replace or repair”, with absolutely no time frame, on turn around. There is no way I‘m waiting weeks or months, with an barrel/action assembly and no stock. So I bought the KRG.

I can’t sell anything, I ‘d have something worth $300, selling it for $10 and someone would counter $9, and I’d dig a pit in the backyard and bury it before, I’d lower my price. So I don’t even try, the At-One will collect dirt and grime in the basement, along with a few other of my failures.

While it shoots great, I can not wonder why CZ let it out, with that stock.
I was pretty surprised by your experience with the Boyd stock. I own one, not that one, very nice. Seen a few all seemed high quality. Seem to get very good review. I would think you could get $100 for your stock pretty easily. It retails for $227.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was pretty surprised by your experience with the Boyd stock. I own one, not that one, very nice. Seen a few all seemed high quality. Seem to get very good review. I would think you could get $100 for your stock pretty easily. It retails for $227.
I have about 25, 22LR rifles, all but 5 of them have either fiberglass, plastic, carbon fiber stocks or chassis systems. 3 of the 5 are the classic walnut stock, the other 2 are the laminated Boyds, on the Savage MkII Minimalist and the CZ 457 At-One Varmint. I’m not a huge fan of wood stocks, but I’m even less of a fan of the laminated plywood “wooden” stock. I bought both of those stocks, looking back should I have known better, probably, in both cases, it a very good mechanisms caught in a bad 7th grade wood shop project.

Is the Minimslist stock as bad as the At-One, no it’s light yrs ahead, quality wise, but its not even close to the level with the walnut models I have. Will I ever buy another laminated stock, probably not, unless I knew I could immediately replace the stock. I’m probably one of the very few that actually prefers a non-wood stock of any kind.

I know my opinions differ from the majority. I also shoot differently from the majority of the members. Groups or grouping, mean nothing to me unless that group is 10 shots, in a 1“ diameter bullseye, with iron sights, at 50 ft, using CCI HP mini-mags, with a hand held rifle. It’s 5 targets a week for about 30 weeks or 150 targets for the year, it’s the yearly average that counts. A couple of bad weeks can be rough to over come.

I have all the respect of people that shoots groups, the distance, the precision and the obvious skill needed. It just not me.

I hope KRG Bravo chassis allow me to get the best out of the CZ.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The KRG Bravo chassis arrived today, it took all of about 15 minutes, to remove the CZ 457 action/barrel assembly out of the At-One stock and to install it in the KRG bravo chassis. The hardest part was getting the stepped washer in position, then getting the Anarchy Outdoors mag well filler piece aligned. I then installed the 3 LOP adjustment plates, to get the LOP in a comfortable range. As soon as UPS delivery’s the parts for work, needed for tomorrow, I going to the range, to try it out. An added bonus was the KRG box, was perfect for the storage of the At-One stock.

Luggage and bags Bag Material property Beige Musical instrument accessory
Luggage and bags Bag Trigger Motor vehicle Military camouflage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts