CZ-52

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

tgfang
    Unregistered User
    (2/25/01 7:14:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All CZ-52
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have experience with CZ-52 pistols? Fun to shoot? function reliably? anything else?

Tom Merring

tgfang
    Unregistered User
    (2/25/01 7:29:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del CZ-50!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Darn it! I meant CZ-50 pistols. Sorry for the misleading post.

Tom Merring

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/25/01 7:56:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ-50!
    Welcome Tom!

I don't but I'm sure someone around here might.

Welcome aboard, happy to have you here!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/26/01 8:23:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ-50!
    The CZ-50 is one in a line of progressions in 32ACP pistol development by the Czechs. Most notable models were the CZ-27, CZ-50, and CZ-70. A large quantity of the CZ-27 pistols were consumed by the Nazi war machine, and a lot of them are on the market today with Nazi Waffenamps. The pre-war CZ-27 pistols are beautiful works of art, and the war time productions are rougher with more poorly fit pieces. After WWII, the various Soviet Block countries were looking at refitting their armies. Many of the countries adopted the Soviet designed Makarovs and Tokarevs. The Czechs looked at their old CZ-27, glanced at the Makarov, then came up with the CZ-50 as a small, concealable officer or police issue pistol. The CZ-70 is a later refinement of that design. The CZ-27 and CZ-50 pistols are C&R eligible, the CZ-70 is not.

Whew - long winded intro. I picked up one of the recently imported CZ-50s. I was suprised to see the pistol was practically brand new - quite a bargain for the low price on these. I like the feel of the grips, and the balance of the pistol as a small concealed carry type. I have only had time to run three magazines of ammo through it, but it functioned flawlessly with ball ammo. I am happy with the pistol so far, need to get some different ammo to run through it. I am really ashamed to say, I probably have 30 to 35 pistols in my collection that fire 32ACP, and have almost no ammo for them. I must be nuts.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

tom merring
    (3/3/01 6:21:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del CZ-50
    Thanks for the information. I recently saw a couple of CZ-50's at a gun show and was tempted to buy one. Both of the ones that I saw loooked very nice on the outside. I would use one for casual target shooting, but thought that my wife's arthritic hands might be able to handle one.

Tom Merring

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (3/3/01 8:25:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ-50
    I think you would be happy with it. Try it out for awhile to get a feel, then you may want to use it for concealed carry. Like I said, mine works fine the little I have fired it, but I would want to put another couple hundred rounds through it before I would be comfortable depending on it for concealed carry. I currently have a Hungarian PA63 in 380ACP that I depend on for that function. The PA63 is the spittin' image of a Walther PPK.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/3/01 10:04:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ-50
    I agree with Bob,

I have owned a few Hungarian pistols made by FEG I think
    and they have functioned flawlesly.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/31/01 9:41:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ-52
    Besides not being C&R, what difference is there between a 50 and a 70? They look almost identical in SGN...

I always intended the 50 to be my first C&R pistol purchase, but SOG was out when I went to order one..got my EG Makarov instead and love it, but I'm trying to justify a CZ-50 "for my wife." Yeah, that sounds good...think she'll believe it?

Bob In St Louis
    (4/1/01 9:52:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ-52
    Basically, the CZ70 was just some minor modifications on the CZ-50, and as it was a later production date and many more made, it is just not a listed C&R.

Rich in Lincoln
    (2/5/02 3:02:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del A problem with a CZ 70
    I have a cz70 that doesn’t work in double action but functions fine in single action and has been sitting in my safe forever. I guess why it looked so good from the importer, is the only use it got was when someone was trying to figure out why it wasn't working (it would also explain the nut on the hammer pivot being so worn) I was going to take it all apart (push out the pins and so-on) and see if I could make sense of it. It seems to work double-action when the slid is off, or the main spring (for the hammer) is removed. I'm guessing
    Something is slightly tweaked down in the frame.
    Has anyone had the same problem, and does anyone know how to fix it? I am also looking for a parts supplier and an exploded view of the gun.
    -Thanks

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/02 3:25:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ50s
    Just a word of hearsay on these....over on the c-r-ffl email list, there was a discussion on these when they were widely available from the distributors. Quite a few people mentioned that they noticed signs of soft steel in the slides - notably a lot of peening where the slide rides over the hammer. There were so many reports that a lot of the listers either sold them off or relegated them to infrequent or non-shooter class.

Now I had a CZ50 once, and I noticed some peening, but didn't think much of it. I no longer have the gun, but I do have a CZ-52 (a whole different beast!).

Oh, and you'll also come across some CZ50/70 hybrids - guns made up of parts from both models (like a CZ70 frame and CZ50 slide, or vice-versa).

RobC in Missouri

polishshooter
    (2/5/02 5:09:04 pm)
    Good info, Rob, maybe I WON'T be buying one soon...

Now how about them 52s? Should I get one soon?

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

velvetnsteel
    (2/5/02 5:44:46 pm)
    My brother had a CZ-50 for a time. His worked very good, but he only put ball ammo thru it. May be a different story with commercial hollow points.

About the CZ-52..........I have been looking really hard at them too. How are they doing for y'all that shoots them?

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/02 6:36:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ52
    The CZ-52 is definitely an attention-getter at the range, what with the muzzleblast and all. I have one in the original 7.62x25 (there were also some available with 9mm barrels, and aftermarket 9mm barrels are out there), along with a Russian Tokarev TT-33 in the same caliber. Seriously, last time I had them at the range I had people from neighboring benches stop shooting to come over and see what was making all the noise and ejecting those bottleneck cases.

Oh, and a lot of that Tokarev ammo chronos fast, or so I'm told. Definitely don't want to shoot that hot stuff in an old broomhandle Mauser. A lot of the surplus out there is also reportedly armor-piercing - I'm surprised most of it hasn't been banned by ATF yet.

As the gun rags say, these used to be $1200 guns - now they can be had for $125 or so, and I haven't really heard any negative reports about them. There seem to be two variations in finish - a light grey color, and then a darker blue-black finish (perhaps a rearsenal work?).

One more thing - early on there was a batch imported by Century that they recalled due to a safety issue - IIRC, the safety is of the decocking type, and some guns would actually fire when decocked with the safety. A basic test for this is the pencil test - stick a pencil down the (UNLOADED GUN!) barrel, cock the hammer, point it straight up and decock it using the lever. If the pencil jumps, it's defective.

Myself, I don't take any chances with the decocker - I always shoot 'til it's dry, or lower the hammer slowly with my thumb while using the decocker.

RobC in Missouri

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/02 7:42:26 pm)
    What's the deal with that aftermarket slide stop or whatever that you modify the grip to install? Is it needed?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/02 11:15:36 pm)
    I was saving up for a mannlicher but I might just need one of these first....swede
    Wyoming Swede

Boogalou
    (2/6/02 12:00:53 am)
    Polishshooter - If you mean the slide stop from Makarov.com, I have heard they aren't very good, but that's just what somebody told me who got one. My Cz52 is accurate and has never failed to feed in over 500 rounds. I put some walnut grips on it and the competition firing pin from Makarov.com. That being said, I'm going to sell it. I don't like the way it fits my hand and its to loud for my tastes. I've decided to concentrate on collecting Makarov's and Spanish pistols. I enjoy shooting my Maks and Stars much more then the CZ52.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 1:00:26 am)
    Well Boogalou, you just made a coupla friends, I'm a died in the wool Makarov guy, and Bobin StL likes ANYBODY what likes Spanish stuff....

Just picked up a commercial Baikal IJ-70 Makarov at a show a couple of weeks ago, adjustible sights, all accessories, in the box, with 60 rds ammo, and it's like new...I think probably only fired the 40 rounds missing from the two boxes! $125...that's what I gave for my East German VG+ over a year ago when they were plentiful!

It shoots better than the EG did....

velvetnsteel
    (2/6/02 4:25:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del cz-52
    Thanks for all the info. Bugaloo. just out of curiosity, what are you going to ask for your CZ-52?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:33:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: cz-52
    Boogaloo - The field of collecting Spanish pistols is wide open right now. Lots of collectors for Colts, Winchesters, S&W, German guns, etc. - they drive the market up. There is a stirring of interest across the country now in the Spanish stuff due to the vast variety of items, and the little known about them. Len Antaris came out with his book on Astra pistols about ten years ago, and since then, the market on the Astras has rapidly gained in value. He is due out now with a book on Star pistols. I would say get them Spanish pieces now because it is a sleeper's market - in ten years the value will really jump on a lot of them!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

velvetnsteel
    (2/7/02 4:40:21 pm)
    BOOGALOU - I am sorry I screwed up your name.......I was typing from memory and at my age my memory is like something else - short and slow!

Bob In St. Louis - tell us more about these Spanish pistols. Please. Caliber, models, etc. Are any C & R eligible?

Thanks so much for the info.

Page 1 2
    Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/7/02 4:48:58 pm)
    Most of the Spanish pistols I collect are C&R eligible. One of the best buys going right now is the Star Super in 9mm Largo. SARCO has these for $139, and describe them as a "gunsmith special" because the hammer may fall from half cock when the trigger is pulled hard. These are C&R eligible, and I ordered one. Man, I was suprised! The gun looked in excellent condition, and the barrel looked practically unfired. Hard as I tried, I couldn't make the hammer fall from half cock. Now compare this to the Astra 400s they are selling now - only in "good" condition, and $229! After Len Antaris new book on Stars come out, the Stars will be up there in price with the Astras.

There are many, many, many more different Spanish handguns out there in the C&R realm - all of the Ruby types in 32ACP, numerous varietes of 25 and 32ACPs made right after WWI, Campo Giros and Jo Lo Ars - I don't even know where to start!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

velvetnsteel
    (2/7/02 6:28:19 pm)
    Thank you very much for the info, Bob. I believe I will check Sarco out.

Boogalou
    (2/7/02 9:49:56 pm)
    Velvet Steel - Concerning the CZ52, right now there is a guy in Texas who would like to buy it but his company has taken an economic downturn so he's a little strapped for cash right now. I was going to sell the gun to him for $200. If you're interested, let me know and I will contact him. He has told me if I find another buyer to not wait for him. The gun would come with both firing pins, both sets of grips, two mags, and a holster. If you reload, I have around 275 rounds of 7.62x25 brass also. Don't worry about the name, If you remember the baseball players Boog Powell & Matty Alou, that's where the name came from. My two favorite players when I was a kid.

velvetnsteel
    (2/7/02 9:59:12 pm)
    Thanks Boogalou, but I believe I will pass right now. I, too have been off work since the last of September. But I appreciate the offer...............now if you know where I can get a job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boogalou
    (2/7/02 10:00:36 pm)
    Bob - I didn't know Sarco had Super A's for $139. Holy Crap! I'm going to have to get one. Thanks for the info regarding Star collecting. These pistols are overlooked by collectors. I just hope most of them still think Spanish steel is junk because that will leave more for me.

Polishshooter - Yeah, I like those Maks too. I got my EG for $100 last February. I'd still looking for a good price on a Arsenal S.E. Bulgarian. How do you like your Baikal? I'm kind of hesitant about that adjustable sight.

Take care & safe shooting,

Boogalou
    (2/7/02 10:02:59 pm)
    Velvetshooter - No problem. Good luck with job hunting.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/7/02 10:04:12 pm)
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!

When I was a kid, my favorites were Bud Harrelson, Carl Yastremski, and Boog....

Are 7.62x25 cases Berdan or Boxer? And are they brass?

That's why I never save any Makarov, they are Berdan and mostly steel...but, as cheap as they are, it's cool to not have to scramble around on my knees chasing nickles either, like when I shoot the .45...

Boogalou
    (2/8/02 7:41:57 am)
    Polishshooter - They're S&B brass with boxer primers. I promised them to the guy in Texas if he buys the CZ52 as he is a reloader.

I always liked the Yaz.... That man had class.