CZ pistols

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by glocknut, May 1, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I have allways wanted a CZ pistol probably in 9mm. They had a batch of them at the gunshop today. Pretty good triggers on them and they had nightsights that were so bright you could see them glow a little bit in the light. They were priced cheaper than i thought they would be. From $500 to $550 depending on caliber and sights. I think a couple of them had novak type sights if i remember right?

Tempting...very tempting.

They also have a 45acp Kahr pistol that was just plain cute!

mike
    gn

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

can't go wrong with a cz75 , well made been around along time, very reliable

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The CZ75 9mm guns can be shot all day without pain whereas a light little 45ACP gun will start your hand to hurting in a couple of magazines. Do you want "cute" or practical. Only you can decide!

I have several CZ pistols and rifles and without exception all are the most guns for the least money, made to a standard not seen in American made guns.

LDBennett

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The CZ75 is a classic, which has now been much copied. I recall the late Col. Jeff Cooper thought very highly of them and at the time regretted they were not more widely available. Trust me, for the Col. to speak so well of a 9mm 'crunchenticker' is high praise indeed.

This typing from bed isnt so easy...sick today!

5. punchie

punchie Active Member

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery the CZ75 should rate right behind the COLT Gov't model.

6. pawn

pawn Active Member

another vote for CZ 75

7. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

HOLY CR*P....Tranter has SWINE FLU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::D:D:D;)

I woner if lead bullets could be shot thru a cz 75 ?

mike
    gn

8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Yes, I am sick and in bed, but not the dreaded swine flu mike. Doctor says I will be up and about in a couple of days...Unpleasant, but nothing serious, a virus. Perhaps I have spent too much time on TFF and have a computer virus?

I will tell you how bad it is, I have a box of reloading bits that arrived a couple of days ago by the bed, and cant get too it!!! too dizzy :mad:

Back to thread, yes, you can shoot lead through it but if too soft or too hot you will get leading, which can be cleaned out anyway.

Also, with due respect to punchie above, while the CZ shares some features with the 1911, they both owe a good deal to the great JM Browning, it is a very different beast.

The CZ has a double stack mag (not single), cammed barrel lock (not swinging link), double action (not single), an internal railed slide, and very different lockwork to the 1911.

The only gripe I had with the CZ75 was the internal running slide left less to get hold of than with the 1911 and Hi Power. But its a minor gripe on a superb weapon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yes. That narrow CZ slide takes getting used to if you slingshot. I call it "inside-out" rails.

p.s. Go get some chicken broth. ;) Get well, Tranter.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thank you Delta...
    You must be clarvo, clerevoy, a mindreader. Thats just what I did have, two plates of Mrs Ts finest, with dumplings.

And not letting the 'gun nut' label slip, while in bed I have been fishing out steel cases from a bunch of brass with the help of a compass. If the needle moves, its in the bin. :)

11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Nah not claravoiant, some remedies are just universal because they work. :D

Compass...very smart. We used to drill/tap a 1/2" dia bolt in the tip of a broomstick, then weld the bolt head to a 2 lb magnet. Through a day of shooting we'd go through around 20,000 rounds of 5.56mm and another 20,000 of 7.62mm and maybe that much .50 cal. During tobacco breaks we'd use the magnet sticks to pull all the steel links out of the piles of brass. Then at the end of the day we'd just have to box up our brass and scoot. (Everything must be separated and crated for turn in.) Cut clean up effort in half. I suppose it would work separating steel cases from brass.

Back on CZ75. Bought mine used, a bit dinged, commie style sights, West German Polizie stamps everywhere from previous registration, the old-school black East European finish common until around the 80/90's/new American import era...$300. I say $500 NIB sounds good.

12. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I cost me $525. It has fairly weak nightsights on it. The medium sized one had better nightsights but i wanted the full size...

mike
    gn

13. punchie

punchie Active Member

Tranter said
    I didn't realize that I was so ambiguous, I should have said the CZ is probably the 2nd most copied semi-auto design after the Gov't Model.

14. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Well-Known Member

IMHO one of the most unsung but sturdiest and most reliable pistols ever made (behind the 1911).
    If I am not mistaken, when the govt was moving from the 1911 to the 9MM and had all interested manufacturers send in their entries, the CZ75 was the only entry to pass ALL of the govt test requirements. Beretta finished dead last and passed only one or two of the tests yet was chosen for the issue firearm for the military. (figures)
    Remember also that upon issue the first Berettas were breaking and injuring the operators very seriously at that.
    The slide locks were shearing allowing the slide to come completely off striking the shooter in the face or neck area.
    The top gunny for the army was trying one for demo for the secdef and his broke. The slide severed his carotid artery and nearly killing him. If not for the secdef having his chopper at the ready, I have heard they ay not have saved him.
    The military apologized later saying they had been using the sub gun ammo in the pistols and therefor weakened these slide locks, (BS) but that was their story and I believe I still have a copy of the article and the apology.

All this trivia which is for the most part worthless, but still as I said the CZ is one of the finest pistols made.

UF

15. 22dave

22dave New Member

I have .22 & .45. They are very similar and both are favorites in the Gun family. Very well made and worth the money.