Czech 98/22 rifles

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 10:31:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Czech 98/22 rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am contemplating picking up a couple of these rifles - anyone have a good source/ best deal going on these?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

mauserman454
    (7/5/02 12:23:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Czech 98/22 rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I got one that came from century arms a couple of months ago for $89. It is in absolutly beautiful condition, perfect bore, but nothing matches on it, I was a little disapointed by that, but I have plenty of matching rifles in much worse condition.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 12:26:22 pm)
    Sounds a lot like the Turk T38 rifles - nice looking with great bores, but mismatched. Obviously arsenal rebuilds sometime in the past. These are out of a Turkish arsenal, aren't they? Any Turkish markings on them?

mauserman454
    (7/5/02 1:39:58 pm)
    I have seen ones at gunshows with turkish markings on them. These one seemed to be "whooped", very little blueing ,bad wood. This one I got from century has no turkish markings on it. My theroy is that the Turks got the 98/22's before they started building thier own t-38's, so naturally after having them longer they have seen more use.
    I saw that SOG had them a while back for $69, but I passed up on them beacuse my collection is outgrowng my house. I don't recall them saying anything about turkish contract, and i think I rember them advertising them as in "good condition", with a hand pick for another $20

"Pig in the poke" my father always says, don't know where he got that from, but I guess it means that sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont
    Good Luck

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 3:49:58 pm)
    A "poke" is a burlap sack or bag....so if you buy a "pig in a poke" you're buying it sight unseen, and don't know what you're getting.

mauserman454
    (7/9/02 7:53:03 am)
    Bob, did you ever take a chance and order a 98/22, SOG still lists them in their new flyer for $69.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/9/02 8:00:14 am)
    I am still counting my pennies - there are a couple of auctions I am currently following and I am reserving my cash for that, and if those don't come through, then I will order some rifles. I am thinking of getting both some 98/22s and VZ24s from SOG.

skratch
    (7/11/02 10:03:30 pm)
    I recently got a VZ24 from SOG, very little blue, scrubbed receiver crest, stock had war bumps stem to stern, none very bad just lots of em, and black with cosmo, bore dark but strong rifling. The screw that holds the rear barrel band was missing.
    After a lot of work the stock turned out to have some really nice grain, some tiger stripe. The bore cleaned up fairly good so far, the more I shoot and clean ya know. Also cleaned the metal and did a bit of re-blue. Not bad for the money as a shooter, it does shoot good with the Romanian ammo. Not a real good pic but here it is.

Edited by: skratch at: 7/11/02 11:24:17 pm

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/11/02 10:51:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Czech 98/22 rifles
    Very purty skratch - very purty.

Looks like I'm going to have to ask advice from you for my VZ24 (or whatever it is). Mine has absolutely no bluing - everything is silverish on it - and I mean everything.

Still haven't bothered to clean out the cosmoline of the barrel and I'm finding it very difficult to figure out how to tear the whole rifle down. Stock has as much cosmoline as everything else and to top it off is so covered with dings and dents not sure I can steam them all out.

Still if it shoots nice I probably won't care (lol).

ps - I'm envious that you got one with tiger striped grain!