The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is now mine and I couldn't be happier.

My dad saved up his pennies and waltzed into the local neighborhood hardware store in Dennison, OH at the ripe old age of 12 without an adult, mind you, laid down his $22 and walked out the door with a rifle. He and his best friend would tape flash lights under their foregrips and shoot rats at the local dump. He kept it at this friend's thinking mom & dad would never know. Then, one day when they were packing for a trip to the grandparents in the country they swung by his friends to pick him up and take him along. As the boys were getting in the car his dad (my dear departed grandpa) said, "why don't you boys brings your guns along?" No tellin how long the cat had been loose, but they did grab their guns and had a blast in the woods.

She needs a fair bit of TLC, but as far as I know it still slings lead. Its been about 6 or 7 years since the last outing tho. For sitting in a corner basically untouched its in ok shape. Light rust is all I've found so far and a rub down with 0000 (4 ought) steel wool and Rem Oil should fix that up fine. I recall there was an issue with the extractor and we'd have to dig the spent case out of the chamber fairly often, so I figure an extractor spring at the very least when I can find one, Numrich is OOS. The front site is loosie goosy and the screw head is buggered up. I'll pull the Grace screwdrivers out tomorrow and see what I can do with that (fighting the post Turkey day food coma, atm). The original butt plate got busted (I think my brother still has it) and the replacement needs some serious "fitting" (its at least .75" too long lol), but the screw holes match up so we're good there. I'm going to see if there's a scope mount I can attach to the rear site screw holes as these old MK Is don't play well with irons any more, I like to avoid drilling and tapping, but will if needed (by a gunsmith).

This old rifle is the first gun I ever shot and all us kids learned to shoot and respect forearms with it under dad's tutelage. I was 6 or 7 at the time, I'm 64 now. A lot of good memories shooting cans off the fence posts in the backyard. Dad swears he bought it when he was 12 (he's 90 now) so that makes it a 1944 model, him rolling off the line in '32 and all, but where did they put the Ser# on it? All I can find that resembles one is 4 digits on the barrel just forward of the receiver. According the info I've found so far there should be an "A" there somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.

I think I'll give your eyes a break before they start bleeding now. I just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone might enjoy it.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I sure did.
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a few BEFORE pics for you.
She needs a serious deep cleaning and the front site screw is too buggered to move, I think I'll have to knock the whole thing out and try to get at it from the bottom.
As it turns out we don't have rain forecast today. We have snow on the way, but just light snow, which in Maine could be 4" or more. :D Actually I doubt if we'll see any accumulation.

Air gun Wood Camera accessory Shotgun Gun barrel

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Wood
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood
Office supplies Wood Bicycle part Trigger Office equipment
Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Rim Automotive tire
Hood Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door
Tent Textile Wood Shade Lamp

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! you lucky guy. Dads gun. my best [most loved] guns are the ones that came down to me from Dad, grand Dad, and great grand Dad. they do not have to be pretty, just in your hands. i can feel the love. shoot her often and remember all the good stuff that came with her.

rick
I think the lucky part is that I have a little time to get her back together and shoot her with him again before he moves to GA with my sister next year.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
:cool: Do yourself a favor and DO NOT use steel wool on the ol girl. Get some bronze wool from Brownels. The bronze is softer than steel and the steel wool can leave micro pieces on the gun that start rust.
Welcome to TFF.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
You can also find Chore Boy bronze wool or stainless steel wool scouring pads in the kitchen aisle at most grocery stores, stainless pads are, like bronze pads, softer than the steel and the gun's bluing. Use them without oil, using oil will turn the rust you remove into an abrasive paste. If you use them dry it just falls off (and get's your clothes dirty). Beware of bronze and stainless colored plastic scouring pads, they don't work. You can ask me how I know this :)

I think the lucky part is that I have a little time to get her back together and shoot her with him again before he moves to GA with my sister next year.
Having your father's rifle is priceless, being able to enjoy shooting it with him is even better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:cool: Do yourself a favor and DO NOT use steel wool on the ol girl. Get some bronze wool from Brownels. The bronze is softer than steel and the steel wool can leave micro pieces on the gun that start rust.
Welcome to TFF.

Too late, already rubbed her down. I'll keep her clean from now on and will get some stainless and/or bronze wool for future jobs though.

I have it back together except for the front site that I drift punched out. I don't have the tools to tackle getting that messed up screw so will take to my LGS and pay them to do it as well as grind the butt plate to size for me. If I drop it off on Monday it should be ready when my Glenfield 20 gets there.

Priceless indeed. I'm very blessed to be able to make a few more memories with him. Tomorrow we're doing THE Game together one more time. Buckeyes gonna curb stomp that team up north........again.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
My dad's 22 rifle I taught my kids to shoot with it and my gran girls are in line also . It will be passed to my son after I go . Hope can do the same with your rifle . Ifeel the love amd memories when it and when I shoot some other rifles . Even thou not their issued rifles I have a few rifles from WW2/Korea , WW1 and since dad , gran dad , unlces use those type I can think wow this is what they carried .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts