The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 5706 Posts

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Chaplains Corner

Actually, I did sleep in!
And then, I deleted a SPAMMER that Jack had caught.

But I am here now, guys!

Today is National Arbor Day. Started in January of 1872 by J. Sterling Morton who was then the Secretary of the Nebraska Territory, the first celebration was on April 10th of that year, and it is estimated that Nebraska planted more than one million trees that year.
As time passed, the date for Arbor day has become different for different states to suit their local climate, but the last Friday in April is the most common one, so has been picked as the day for the National Arbor Day.
Morton once said “Each generation takes the earth as trustee's.”
How exactly right he was. It behooves all of us to utilize our natural resources wisely, so future generations can benefit from them as well as ourselves. Planting trees is an excellent way to do this. We must ensure that we always plant as many as we harvest, or we are reaping benefit that will be paid for by our children's children.
Arbor Day is nothing new to a Christian. We call it Stewardship, which is something that extends far beyond obeying God's directions in regard to our money. Stewardship extends into every avenue of our lives, from personal time and resources to group time and resources.

We are to have dominion over and the use of the Earth:

Genesis 1:27-29 (KJV); So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

And we are to care for it:

Genesis 2:15 (KJV); And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Let us all be good stewards today of ALL living things which God has blessed us with. All were created for our use and for enjoyment - but NONE were created for our misuse or for us to thoughtlessly waste.

God bless all of you -

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts

AMEN

Thanks Terry and Jack for keeping the forum clean of spammers. I know it's hard to catch each and every one, but ya'll are doing a great job.
I hope I didn't sound to impatient, I had just checked the thread a couple times and was wondering where you were.
Good reading, and a great way to start the day.

·
Super Moderator
13,018 Posts

Its really nice having jack around at night while the rest of us sleep!

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

AMEN

Thanks Terry and Jack for keeping the forum clean of spammers. I know it's hard to catch each and every one, but ya'll are doing a great job.
I hope I didn't sound to impatient, I had just checked the thread a couple times and was wondering where you were.
Good reading, and a great way to start the day.
I thought of it as concern rather than impatience. And with the storms and flooding all around us, I APPRECIATE that!

Just worked REALLY hard yesterday to get our drive back in shape after the flood; I can now get out with the wifes 4X4, and today hope to get it good enough to get my car out.
Hard work -
Caused SOUND sleep right up until 6 AM, which is VERY weird for me!!

·
Banned
17,476 Posts

yes

I liked the Aboriginal outlook , the land was a similar status as mother , the lands bounty not to abused or wasted . and they learned to fit in with it

In His greatness He has provided all we need , of that i am sure, we just have to realize it

and yeah the timezone works out well for the spammers ;)

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Carl, that is beautiful. Thank you!

I read a story several years ago about an incident that happened in Russia. Under Stalin, all bibles had been confiscated in the 30's, and with the dissolution of the USSR, a team from CoMission had arrived in Stavropol for ministry work. Their shipment of bibles had been held up, and they were told that a warehouse outside of town still contained confiscated Bibles from all those years ago, where they had unexplainable been stored instead of being destroyed as was Stalin's intent. Remarkably, the team was granted permission to open the warehouse and distribute them! They hired several local Russian workers to help with this work, they began to load their trucks.
One young man, a hostile non-believer, came only for the day's wages. On seeing the Bibles, he thought he would steal one for himself, since they were rare and valuable. The team soon noticed the young man was missing, not helping with the work of loading the trucks. When they searched for him, they found him in the corner of the warehouse, weeping, a Bible in his hands. He had stolen it, then flipped it open to the title page. There, he had found his Grandmothers signature. He had picked his own Grandmothers bible, confiscated from her many decades previously.
Today, that young Russian is in the process of being transformed by the very Bible that his grandmother was persecuted for, but still held dear.
Coincidence?
I don’t think so!
The Word of God speaks often of the power of the Bible:

Jeremiah 23:29 (KJV); "Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?"

Romans 1:16 (KJV); "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

Hebrews 4:12 (KJV); "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

There are many countries where the Bible is illegal to own, where people never get the chance to read one. And here we are, with perfect freedom to own and read the words of the creator of the universe, and most people won't bother with it; if they own one at all, it is a dusty book on the shelf. Do whatever you can to change that. Start inside your own home, and move outward from there.

May God bless each and every one of you.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts

AMEN !

"Coincidence?
I don’t think so!"

I agree, this was not a coincidence, but the hand of God that directed this young man. Very moving story. Thanks Terry.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

The word is quick and powerful...and now available online in almost every language.

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Today is Loyalty Day and Law Day in the United States. And this year, sundown begins Yom Hashoah, a Jewish holiday. I find it fitting that these three days would coincide today.

In 1930, ten thousand VFW members staged a rally in Times Square, NY, to promote patriotism on this day. The observances continued and grew until Congress officially designated this day as Loyalty Day in 1958, and set it aside to foster loyalty and love of the United States.

Law day is dedicated to appreciate our liberties, especially with regard to equality and justice. It also aims to cultivate respect for the law, which is vital to our way of life. It began in 1958 when Eisenhower established this day by proclamation at the urging of the American Bar Association.

And this year, today is Yom Hoshoah. The Jewish calendar is lunar, so specific dates in their calendar will, from year to year, move around on our calendar just as Easter does. The full name of todays special day is Yom Hashoah Ve-Hagevurah, which means the "Day of (remembrance of) the Holocaust and the Heroism". This day is dedicated to remembering the six million Jewish people who were slaughtered by the Nazis between 1933 and 1945. Something which it is vital for us to understand, and the reason that I find it so meaningful that these three holidays coincide today is this:
The Nazi's were patriotic. They loved their country, and sacrificed for it.
And they had respect for their laws, and conducted the Holocaust in accordance with the law of the land. Yet, in spite of patriotic people carrying it out in accordance with their laws, it is one of the darkest events of human history.

What is the lesson here for us? It is explained in this passage:
Mark 12:13-17 (KJV); And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the Herodians, to catch him in his words. And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not? Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it. And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's. And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Every one of us in this group loves our country. But we must be sure that this love of country is second to our love of God.

Almost all of us here also strive to obey the laws of the land. But our obligation to do that does NOT extend to the point of following those laws when they conflict with the laws of God.

And as for the Holocaust, I join with my Jewish brothers and sisters when I say: “Never Again!!”

I am not trying to be a rabble-rouser (Or, considering my location, perhaps that is Rebel Rouser!), but I am attempting to show that, important as both are, love of country and obedience of the law are not always paramount for us.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Thanks Terry,

Great start for this Sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts

AMEN,

Another great story Terry, Thanks.

I hope you don't mind my AMEN each morning. I was raised to say AMEN after reading Gods Word, or hearing it read. I just can't get away from it and don't think I need too. You do such beautiful work, I believe it deserves a big AMEN each and every morning.

I am a little late this morning. I too had a hard day of physical work yesterday and slept until after 6:30, which is very unusual for me. Normally I am wide awake at around 5 AM or a little sooner.
Hope every one has a Blessed Day.

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Thank you, guys!

Carl, I appreciate the "Amen", because I have always felt the same way.
I have visited churches where it was not appreciated -
But mine is NOT one such!

Have a seat right over there in the 'Amen corner'.

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Have you heard of the Cargo Cults? They sprang up on several primitive islands after WWII. The islanders had received many marvelous things from the soldiers who came to their islands on airplanes. There were strange and wonderful foods, and many marvels of technology that seemed magic to them. When the war ended, the soldiers quit coming to their islands. The natives considered these visitors to be gods, and they worked to entice them back once again by building airstrips in the jungles, and even making passable models of their airplanes out of jungle materials, which they placed on these airstrips. Their work was in vain; the soldiers did not return, but the Cargo Cults continued for many years afterward.
Superstition!
But those who realize that their lives are missing something can certainly restore their relationship with God by following Jesus Christ, and patterning their lives after him.
On the first of May in the olden times, according to annual custom, many inhabitants of London would go out into the fields to wash their faces with the early dew upon the grass. They believed that it would make them beautiful.
More superstition!
But those that bathe their face every morning in the dew of heaven by prayer and communion, are sure to obtain true beauty of life and character.
There is superstition, and there is Christianity – and the two are very different! Superstition seeks some formula to improve ones life. Christianity seeks to walk more closely with God, who has ALREADY given his life out of love for us, that we may live eternally with Him in paradise!
The Word of God tells us:
Psalms 5:3 (KJV);
"My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."
Psalms 90:14 (KJV);
" O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days."

God Bless each one of you here -

·
Registered
2,830 Posts

Amen, brother, I truly appreciate what you're doing as Chaplain.

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Thank you all for your support, guys! I appreciate it!

The first full week in May is designated Teacher Appreciation Week, and Tuesday of that week – today – is National Teachers Day. Everyone has memories of certain teachers. Some remember the teacher as the ugly woman with a ruler that cracked their knuckles for no good reason. Some remember the beautiful lady they had a secret crush on, who helped them understand all things. Some remember the guy who thought all boys should learn how to fight, so staged fights in the back of the room. Some remember the one who, when caught in an error, would fly into a rage over it. Personally, I remember one of each of these.
But think about it. The Teacher stands in the gap between the parents who want one thing and the government that often demands the opposite. They are faced with a classroom in which the majority of students have never had any discipline whatsoever, and do not understand the meaning of “No!” They are pushed by one faction to crack on the kids and keep them in line and by another faction to allow them to express themselves in any way they choose. They stand between those who demand they never mention reproduction and those who expect them to teach the kids how to use a condum. And they do all of this for below average pay.
Arnold Toynbee, in A Study of History said that we are “never more than one generation from barbarism". That is because every child is born a barbarian, and must be educated into becoming a civilized person. We depend on the teachers to perform this miraculous transformation.
Remember that teacher that had such a positive effect on your life? Think about them today. If you can, give them a call or send them a card or e-mail, and say “Thank you!” for what they did for you.
Remember that teacher who treated you completely unfairly? It is your duty as a Christian to forgive them.
Scripture speaks often of the importance of education:

Proverbs 19:20 (KJV);
Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.

Thank you, Miss Serino, for lifting me out of Barbarism. And I forgive you for becoming Mrs. Oer.

May God bless each one here today -

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts

AMEN !

Thanks Mr Evans for taking me off of the wrong road of life, and straighting me out. Thinking of you.

Thanks Terry.

41 - 60 of 5706 Posts