The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
My favorite line was told to me by a gun store clerk. “The reason cops went to 9mm is because .45’s don’t have the velocity to penetrate the skull.” That one left me dumbfounded for a while.

·
Premium Member
19,199 Posts
It is fun when I'm at the indoor range shooting my .40s then break out the .357, you get looks from all over, it sounds like a cannon goung off in there.
I do that with my 44 Magnum everyone in the range ends up in back of me wondering what I’m shooting

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not a firearm one, but I have heard this statement from time to time:
"He was beside himself"

How fast do you have to be to do that?. I've tried. Never even got close.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
Well Mike, why didn't you run down to the shop on Sunday and pick up your messages? How rude of you not to......:rolleyes:

A 45 won't penetrate but a 9mm will? Someone needs a basic education in ballistics, huh.

I do that with my 44 Magnum everyone in the range ends up in back of me wondering what I’m shooting
I love their reaction.
Back when I would occasionally go to a club or public range it was....fun...interesting...when someone would set up next to me when I was shooting my Ballard in 45-100. Comments, exclamations, dumbfounded looks....all the above. 90-95 grs. of black under a 520 gr. bullet has a nice, deep, LOUD throaty report...with lots of smoke. If they were lucky they set up, upwind of me. If downwind, they'd move....:D

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
I rarely go to a range. Last week my buddy and I went to and indoor range. Never been, he has. He said "bring what you want, you can shoot anything". So there's 12 lanes. We're in 8-9. I have a couple handguns he's never tried so we start with them. A Bersa Thunder, which is great BTW, and a couple 9mm. The lanes on either side are shooting similar. After a bit, most everybody is shooting .22s at those targets that are games. Bowling, baseball, shoot the bugs, etc. Everybody is at about 20 feet-ish. I'm noticing this as all you can hear is faint pops. I look at my buddy.."anything?"..."yep" he says.
So I pull out a Garand and let her rip. The targets on the adjoining lanes are fluttering from the muzzle blast. It was a riot! Until a couple of my vintage enblocs pinged downrange :(
Ultimately everybody in the place was shooting the Garand and having a blast! Worked out well, everybody agreed to a break and the RO let me retrieve my enblocs.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,863 Posts
someone would set up next to me when I was shooting my Ballard in 45-100. Comments, exclamations, dumbfounded looks...
When I start setting up my .45-70 people call it my "anti-social" gun because of the noise and the smoke.

I've seen people jump when one of those or a muzzle loader goes off, want to know that that was. BP has a particular "thump" when it goes off. .22 goes off with a "crack", rifles with a silencer make their own noise, a rifle with a muzzle brake...well I can sometimes feel the concussion a couple of lanes down, and loud?? I just about need extra ear protection. That's an anti-social gun. Gallery rifles in .38, .357, .44 bark when they go off.

Apologies. This is thread drift. Let me try to bring it back.

My son worked on an electronics store and really got frustrated at the same kind of questions. The mental midget customers would come in asking for some impossible piece of equipment and demand to know why it wasn't available.

·
Premium Member
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well Mike, why didn't you run down to the shop on Sunday and pick up your messages? How rude of you not to......:rolleyes::D
I did go into the shop but after 10 messages asking for ammo and guns I just turned it off.
Got one today that I answered and was asked.
Do you have any 9mm ammo?.
No
Can I use .40 caliber in my 9mm.
No
WHY!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????
I tried to explain but after being interrupted 5 times I just said Thank you for your call and said started to say goodbye.
But before I said goodbye he called me a AH and was asked why does a gun shop not carry 9mm ammo?.
I said we do but have been sold out for 6 months so you should have gotten off your butt 6 months ago and gotten some. You do know this is a election year don't you?
CLICK........
Then a call came in.
I want to go hunting this year do you have any guns I can use for deer.?
No
How do I get my license for hunting?.
You need to take the course for it but you should talk to a dealer that sells lic.
WHY?.

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
Madman, I trapped a hog a short time ago and just for giggles took my Colt .25 Auto and popped a 200 # feral boar in the head......went straight down just as fast as my .45 would do.
Many, many years ago a LEO acquaintance was present when a local farmer was getting ready to pop one of his monster (as in MONSTER) hogs prior to butchering. He always used a Winchester 94 30/30 for this task. Acquaintance asks to do it with his Smith .357 service revolver. Farmer opines that wasn't a very good idea, but if he felt it'd do the job go right ahead and give it a try - which he then proceeded to do. So, now we've got a prehistoric hog with a gawd-awful headache running around the yard trying to trample and kill everything in its' path. Five more rounds of .357 didn't improve the situation. The farmer finally put the porker down with the 30/30.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've been in retail pretty much my entire life (crafts and furniture).
The other night I got a message on our stores Facebook page with the question "How much do your products cost?".
I really wanted to be snarky but I kept it civil by asking what type of products was she was looking for and explained we have & can get things ranging from 3 cents to thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Not a firearm one, but I have heard this statement from time to time:
"He was beside himself"

How fast do you have to be to do that?. I've tried. Never even got close.
Believe it or not its a pretty normal figure of speech here...

But I have always wanted to know how to scare the living day lights out of someone?

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
While filling out the paper work on a rifle I was picking up a Young loud kid was impressing his friend (and the salesman) with his knowledge of the Glock he was fondling.
"It will even shoot under water!"
under my breath I said "It shoots through trees, around rocks, and aims itself."
The salesman helping me had to step into the back room until he stopped laughing.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts