The Firearms Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's been a very, very long time since I hunted NYS. It just dawned on me that goofy has been waiting for Nov 21st and that when I was growing up, deer season in NYS was on Dad's birthday, Nov 15th. I wonder how many years ago it was that they changed the dates.

Here's hoping that those restless neighbors push a shooter his way and he gets to enjoy being out in the woods again away from all the cares of the day.

·
Premium Member
17,486 Posts
It's been a very, very long time since I hunted NYS. It just dawned on me that goofy has been waiting for Nov 21st and that when I was growing up, deer season in NYS was on Dad's birthday, Nov 15th. I wonder how many years ago it was that they changed the dates.

Here's hoping that those restless neighbors push a shooter his way and he gets to enjoy being out in the woods again away from all the cares of the day.
Grizzly depends on where you hunt in NY. Up here in the Northern part of the state the season opened on Oct.21st. But downstate southern tier where Mike is it opened today.

·
Premium Member
17,486 Posts
Didn't see any either this morning. But things are looking up. My buddy is sick and wants to take a break for the coming week. So since he saw a real big deer yesterday that he couldn't id he told me to give him a try out of his stand. I checked out his stand location later this morning so i can find it the dark tomorrow, and noticed 3 scrapes all around his stand. So hopefully tomorrow is the day for me. Rain isn't supposed to hit us up here till afternoon.

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I do not hunt around a feeder. around here that will get you a hefty fine.
It was snowing when I went out then it turned to rain with 10-20 mph winds out of the south east so did not see a thing intill 3:30 and all 9 that I saw were baby's. A spike, 6point (Smaller then the spiker) and a bunch of 1 and 2 year old does.
Maybe next time I will get to see Mom or Dad.

·
Registered
430 Posts
When I was doing academic tutoring for a living, I think the most stultifying question I was asked was from a blonde (VERY blonde) female economics student:
"Okay, so which goes up, supply or demand?"

·
9,339 Posts
I do not hunt around a feeder. around here that will get you a hefty fine.
It was snowing when I went out then it turned to rain with 10-20 mph winds out of the south east so did not see a thing intill 3:30 and all 9 that I saw were baby's. A spike, 6point (Smaller then the spiker) and a bunch of 1 and 2 year old does.
Maybe next time I will get to see Mom or Dad.
We hunt over feeder in Texas on private property and deer leases but not on government property.

·
Deer Stalker
6,174 Posts
We have muleys all over our backyard on the game cam. A nice 1-2 year old buck 2x2 as well. (Can't find the photo but he was here two nights ago)

I have been a meat hunter my whole life but now that I'm 60 and had my run on Elk and Deer in my younger days, I've decide "Holy heck, its a lot of work" I'd rather hunt the meat section at the Grocery store....

THAT said, I want bigger than 2x2 so I'm just holding out until the right rack comes along. Youngest son and I will scout out some more territory here in NW MT on Tuesday with the Jeep and on foot, into the high country around 4500 feet as we plan our big hunt next fall with both my sons here.
Big fish run deep, Big bucks go to higher ground.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mike, This is my first deer hunt in Texas after moving here this year, I have visited for several months each year prior to that and we trapped hogs and shot them at night from the stands. The feeders are for hogs and we fill them all year long so the deer just naturally use them also. Like you I have spent my many hunting years with a rifle, knife and two feet in the bottom of deep canyons or dense forests. Hunting in a stand with a bag of cookies, pocket book of cowboys blasting each other in 1879 and listening to drops hitting the peaked roof of the Fiberglas coated plywood blind ( inside is indoor/outdoor carpet) is not quite as demanding or fun as what you experience but in my late seventies is working for me. Wishing you great success in your hunt but I always came back with a happy face successful or not, just for the experience.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have been a meat hunter my whole life but now that I'm 60 and had my run on Elk and Deer in my younger days, I've decide "Holy heck, its a lot of work" I'd rather hunt the meat section at the Grocery store....
Right there with ya, Mak....why I took to upland hunting a long time ago...still, I hear you on waiting for a prized set of antlers to come along, too...kinda like my dad did back in 1960 in Japan.....

2020_1122_2055-00.jpg

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Mike, This is my first deer hunt in Texas after moving here this year, I have visited for several months each year prior to that and we trapped hogs and shot them at night from the stands. The feeders are for hogs and we fill them all year long so the deer just naturally use them also. Like you I have spent my many hunting years with a rifle, knife and two feet in the bottom of deep canyons or dense forests. Hunting in a stand with a bag of cookies, pocket book of cowboys blasting each other in 1879 and listening to drops hitting the peaked roof of the Fiberglas coated plywood blind ( inside is indoor/outdoor carpet) is not quite as demanding or fun as what you experience but in my late seventies is working for me. Wishing you great success in your hunt but I always came back with a happy face successful or not, just for the experience.

I used to park the motor home on the edge of our field and wait while having my morning coffee.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Please let me know the next time you go out hunting....;)

Reactions: joe45c
121 - 138 of 138 Posts