The Firearms Forum banner

Daily off the wall questions

13K views 137 replies 43 participants last post by  DCman 
#1 ·
With all the off the wall questions I get every day I thought I would start this thread and add to it as the days go by.
There might be more then one per day but will only post the ones that make me laugh.
8/28/2020 -
I have a double barrel side by side shotgun and want to know if I can make 2 shotguns out of it?. :confused:

#6 · (Edited)
Sister had a Baby Browning
I thought at first you were going to ask about the father.:eek::yikes::confused::duh:

goofy, I'm looking forward to hearing what other inane things people ask. They can be entertaining. You just have to keep a great sense of humor.

#7 ·
8/29/2020
This is more of a conversation with a few stupid questions in it.
Him- I just bought a pistol in PA and they said I have to have it transferred to a NY dealer.
Is this true.
Me- Yes
Him- So I can have it sent to you and I just come up and pick it up?.
Me- Yes we do transfers all the time.
Him- What do I need when I come to pick it up?. And how much does it cost.
Me- You need to bring your drivers lic. and your pistol permit and it cost $45.
Him- OH I need a pistol permit?.
Me- Yes and I need to do a 4473 back round check on you.
Him- I do not have a pistol permit and when I bought it they did not do a back round check so why do you need to do one?.
Me- Because it is up to the dealer giving you the pistol to do it but it does not matter because if you do not have a NY pistol permit you can not have a pistol in NY.
Him- But I already paid for it. Can't you just get it and give it to me?.
Me- NO I have to follow the law. You do live in NY right?.
Him- Yes. Can I just tell you I have a pistol permit or do you have to see it.
Me- Not only do I have to see it but the pistol has to be added to the permit before I can give it to you.
Him- Do I have to pass the back round check to get it?.
Me- YES but it does not matter if you do not have a NY pistol permit you can not have a pistol in NY.
Him- I think you are being a hard A** and I will find someone else to get it for me. F### YOU.
Me- HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!!!!
And I hung up.
This was not a young person. It sounded like a middle aged person who had no idea what they were doing.
Just another day for me.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Guys, STOP!...PLEASE!
My gut is just achin' after reading that PA-NY pistol post.
...and then Joe45c just put the icing on top.
Oh well, I guess I got some exercise today after all.
LORD, that was funny!
:rotfl::lol:

You should've sold him some '06 ammo, and told him, its better ammo because it hits harder but shoots softer than the Norma. ;)

#14 ·
Guy on the other side of the counter: "Do you fix double barrel shotguns?". Me: "Sure, bring it in and let us take a look at it". "Here" says he, presenting a paper bag containing a bunch of parts, whittled down butt stock, forend, and a set of barrels about 12" long. My buddy Sgt. Bob disappears into the back room on the pretext of checking heaven knows what, while I engage the doofus in conversation. Troops from the 3rd precinct arrived in fairly short order and took it from there. This bit of nonsense occurred back in the late '80s.

#19 ·
My brother in law took a three week mail in gunsmithing course.
An acquaintance back east squandered most or all of his GI Bill education $$ on a mail order "Gunsmith Course". He showed me one of their textbooks and after glancing through it I pointed out some info that was just plain wrong. I also ventured an opinion that if one bit was wrong there were probably others. He was kinda miffed by that but listened to what I had to say and eventually called the mail order school. After some back and forth they finally admitted to having "simplified" (their term) some of the content to make it easier for their students to understand. After "graduation" he was mailed a fancy looking "GUN PRO" diploma. What a waste.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have told most of you that I worked for a company that manufactured AR15/10 uppers. I would sometimes answer the phones for inquiries and orders along with helping at a few gun shows. Man there are some really stupid people that should not own guns that I had the misfortune to talk too or meet. Some were uninformed, or misinformed, or just plain ignorant. The ignorant were the worst, and most taxing of my patients. Like the ones who blow up their gun do to bad reloaded ammo. It was always the guns fault for a bulged barrel. I had to deal with this one moron who bulged his barrel.
Customer - "Your company uses inferior barrels."
Me - "No we don’t. We E.R.Shaw barrels made from certificated 4140 CM.
Customer - It’s the barrels fault. I have loaded thousands of rounds of ammo.
Me - So have I, and I always inspect every case prior to bullet seating for proper amount of gun powder. What do load on ?
Customer - A progressive.
Me - So have I, and I have had cartridges that didn’t get the correct amount of powder that I caught.
Customer - It’s still a bad barrel. I’m sending it back for a replacement.
Company’s owner tells me too have him send it back and to tell the customer that this is a one time offer. We replace the barrel as the other parts were undamaged. A week latter he calls complaining because we used his original upper receiver and other parts. Three or so months later this same guy calls to claim another budged barrel. Owners tell him that they will not replace the barrel do to his shooting his reloaded ammo, and if he has a problem with that, he can contact the company attorney. Never heard from him again.

If I could remember all the dolts we had to deal with, it could make for a best selling book for gunsmiths and gun store owners, and don’t get me started about all the idiots I have seen at gun ranges or run across while hunting on state lands.

#17 · (Edited)
While staining yesterday I did not have my phone on me and this message was left by someone.
"Hello, (pause) Hello, (Pause) Hello, (Pause) Are you there?. (Pause) Do you fix guns?. (Pause) My gun was shooting just fine but it has a bullet stuck that will not fire and will not come out. (Pause) Hello are you there?." (Click)
Then did not leave a number or name.
This could be a real winner.

#18 ·
I would get that once in a while, Mike. Often it started with, "I've been meaning to call you for a couple weeks and...." then go into great detail about their electrical problem. Often ending with, "can you get out here or send a man today, I'm taking off this afternoon".....and never leave a name or number and my phone doesn't usually capture the # unless it's in my contacts. Not that we could usually get there that day anyway.

#21 ·
8/29/2020
This is more of a conversation with a few stupid questions in it.
Him- I just bought a pistol in PA and they said I have to have it transferred to a NY dealer.
Is this true.
Me- Yes
Him- So I can have it sent to you and I just come up and pick it up?.
Me- Yes we do transfers all the time.
Him- What do I need when I come to pick it up?. And how much does it cost.
Me- You need to bring your drivers lic. and your pistol permit and it cost $45.
Him- OH I need a pistol permit?.
Me- Yes and I need to do a 4473 back round check on you.
Him- I do not have a pistol permit and when I bought it they did not do a back round check so why do you need to do one?.
Me- Because it is up to the dealer giving you the pistol to do it but it does not matter because if you do not have a NY pistol permit you can not have a pistol in NY.
Him- But I already paid for it. Can't you just get it and give it to me?.
Me- NO I have to follow the law. You do live in NY right?.
Him- Yes. Can I just tell you I have a pistol permit or do you have to see it.
Me- Not only do I have to see it but the pistol has to be added to the permit before I can give it to you.
Him- Do I have to pass the back round check to get it?.
Me- YES but it does not matter if you do not have a NY pistol permit you can not have a pistol in NY.
Him- I think you are being a hard A** and I will find someone else to get it for me. F### YOU.
Me- HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!!!!
And I hung up.
This was not a young person. It sounded like a middle aged person who had no idea what they were doing.
Just another day for me.
Maybe it's antifa!

#33 ·
Well heckfire. I try to learn something new everyday, so I reckon I can go back to bed now, cuz I done learned something new.

Thanks ral357, for educating me. :)

#35 ·
shooting my 686 yesterday.
OH wow you have wooden grips on that monster.
i must have had a very puzzled look on my face as the
guy asked me how i can hang onto it.
so i one handed it and shot it DA just to make a point.
seriously it's a .357 mag and i was shooting .38 plus + loads
so not that big a deal. but having a guy half my age asking how
i could hang onto a gun... guess i'm still a bit puzzled.

#36 · (Edited)
shooting my 686 yesterday.
OH wow you have wooden grips on that monster.
i must have had a very puzzled look on my face as the
guy asked me how i can hang onto it.
so i one handed it and shot it DA just to make a point.
seriously it's a .357 mag and i was shooting .38 plus + loads
so not that big a deal. but having a guy half my age asking how
i could hang onto a gun... guess i'm still a bit puzzled.
It is fun when I'm at the indoor range shooting my .40s then break out the .357, you get looks from all over, it sounds like a cannon going off in there.

#38 ·
Yesterday I got the call (From another area code) about ammo he was looking for 25-06 and when I said I do not have any he asked who did and when I said "I do not know" he asked.
"Can you call around and ask other dealers and give me a call back when you find some"?.
I said no.
And I got the "Why"
Me-Because I do not have the time and that is your job not mine.
Him- Well I guess I will have to look up numbers and make calls. You sure you do not have any?.
Me- Yes and have a good day.
CLICK........

#39 ·
Good grief! Sounds like that commercial where a neighbor asks a neighbor if he knows a good contractor....then says good, call him and set up an appt., get references, etc.

Had to be under 40....

#41 ·
My favorite line was told to me by a gun store clerk. “The reason cops went to 9mm is because .45’s don’t have the velocity to penetrate the skull.” That one left me dumbfounded for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.