The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spot appears on the left barrel of an older LC Smith shotgun that I am considering purchasing. I only have the picture so I can't examine it personally. Do you think the barrel has been "patched" and is therfore unshootable, or is this an external, superficial blemish that won't affect the guns performance? I understand that it is difficult to tell from the pic, but I'm trying to get the best technical guess available on this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Appears to me to be TIG welded. The heat treatment in that area is gone.
Shooting it would be like playing Russian Roulette

·
Registered
194 Posts
What does the bore look like in that spot? Some one might have removed a barrel dent and failed to polish out the area that was peened.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i agree.. look at the inside of the bore.. if there is damage or discoloration there.. I'd say it was some sort of repair.

if nada.. then a cosmetic blemish on the outside is looking good.

I don't know how gun bbls are repaired.. but I know for many piped musical instruments, ball bearings of the correct OD are forced into the id to push out dends.. or the tube is slid over a mandrel to tap them out.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Looking closely at the pic it appears to have some fine cracks in the repair, so I would think it was more than removing a dent. Looking at The bore should reveal a bit more.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seller says there is nothing inside the bore at this spot, but I only have his word for it at this point.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Really hard to guess on this one, you would need to put your eyes on it and make yourself satisfied or get a gunsmith ok. Are you buying a (premium price) collector gun or a field type shooter? What is the price?

Should the barrel be damaged you can price "tubing" the gun in a smaller guage with Briley/Kolar or similar tubes and have a shotgun that is most assuredly safe to fire.

·
Premium Member
13,251 Posts
Do you know whether the LC has damascus or fluid steel barrels? If damascus, that might be a clue to what you're looking at. Took the image up 400x, and aside from what appear to be three overlappping circles, the uppermost one being on the right, there appears to be an area of fairly deep pitting - deep enough that they seem to cast their own internal shadows - just to the right of the uppermost circle. These pits seem to continue to a lesser and more scattered extent moving left across the uppermost circle (for lack of a better term). There are also several scattered light colored areas not contained in or adjacent to the three circles. That said, I've no idea what the discolored area represents, but if I had to take a wild guess I'd say it might be someone's attempt to fill in and burnish over some ugly (and in a damascus barrel, potentially dangerous) pits. As I said, it's just a guess.

·
Registered
751 Posts
agree with the others,, looks to have been welded depending on what area of the barrel it is located ,, if magazine area would say forget it,, if other end may be ok if not broken or burned thru on inside ??? if your not experienced definately have a gunsmith check it,,if it is cheap enough and not for collecting pickup another barrel for it and have fun,,,check with www.gunpartscorp.com probably get diff barrel cheap

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I think differently - That looks to me like there may have been a rust spot on the barrel that someone tried to clean off. The area is defined with a circular line and another area that appears also to be corrosion. If the inside of the bore is spot on clean then it should be possible to smooth the outside of the barrel with 0000 steel wool and reblue it. This doesn't look like any welding to me. Just simple metal corrosion and probably not enough corrosion to have affected the integrity of the barrel. I would have to see it and feel it for real to know for sure so I would be unlikely to buy this from an on-line auction for example unless the price was dirt cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts