Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Dan Wesson .357 Magnum revolver - Late 70's/early 80's (?)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sonofzell, Mar 1, 2018.

1. sonofzell

sonofzell Member

Dad was a 357 nut, and I remember this being one of his favorites. To my untrained eye it appears to be in near-perfect condition, with virtually no scratches, erosion, rust or discoloring on any material. There is a distinct difference in color between the barrel and frame, which leads me to believe this may not be the original barrel.

I vaguely remember shooting this a few times, mostly because for a relatively heavy revolver, it has great balance and didn't feel like it was going to break my wrist like some of dad's other 357's.

IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG

2. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am not much on Dan Wessons but I can tell you some steel parts will turn a plum color like this over time. It is caused by the alloy of the steel and its reaction to the bluing. It is not harmful and some like the look. I myself do not care for it but others do? These guns have a limited following as compared to a Colt or Smith & Wesson.

3. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member

It appears to me that the barrel was reblued at some time in its life.
    Based on your serial number, it appears yours was made in the early 80s as mine was. Here is a comparison for the barrel blueing. Mind you, this one sat in a safe for all of its life.(Until it got to me. :) )

Your revolver is a Model 15 (Adjustable sights). Made roughly in 1982.
    Wesson1.JPG

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    sonofzell likes this.
  4. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you look at the lettering on the barrel you can see it has never been polished so I doubt it was reblued. I have seen factory blue do this but not as often as a reblued gun. I am guessing the barrel shroud is cast and cast steel is very susceptible to this.

5. Big Mak

It may have started out life (the shroud) as a stainless shroud. Brownells sells Oxynate that allow you to blue stainless without any buffing prep. A plum color is typical of the resulting application.
    If the owner were to remove that shroud with a Wesson tool, I bet we'd find the answer if it were reblued or not.

6. Big Mak

Another option here is that the shroud may not have been part of this revolver originally. If you look at the mismatch of the shroud to the frame, they had much closer tolerances for those revolvers when they left the factory. You could put 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inch barrels/shrouds on the M15s. Barbie dolls for men or women! Dress them up! :)

Well, that's my 2 cents. Nice revolver. Go out and enjoy it! They're very accurate!

joe45c likes this.
  7. sonofzell

sonofzell Member

After another visit to dad's house last evening, I was lucky to find some inventory notes he had tucked away. I don't know if it offers any insight, but the info for this gun reads (verbatim):

"DAN WESSON MOD. I5-2"
    "cal. 375 MAG."
    "DOUBLE ACTION 6 SHOT"
    "BLUED STEEL/WALNUT GRIPS"
    "8" HVY VENT BARREL ADJUST. SIGHTS"
    "SER#322695"

8. Big Mak

Well then that may be the original barrel and naturally faded plum! If you have the tool that came with the DW, remove the shroud and take a photo of the end of the shroud where it connects to the frame.

The 15-2 was simply the model 15 but with more barrel options and a choice of solid or ventilated ribs.