The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only .45 ACP bullets I can find are 185 gr, Hornady, TMJ, SWC. The price was not too bad at $22/100 so I bought 300. Even found large pistol primers. I have several 1,000 .45 brass, and 4 lb of power pistol powder and thought I was looking good.

So I start looking in the reloading manuals to get a recipe and power pistol powder is not listed in any manual for that bullet. I have Lyman, Speer, Hornady, Lee, and the Alliant Powder Reloader's Guide and none of them list power pistol powder for the .45 ACP, 185 gr. SWC. Power pistol is listed for 200 gr and 230 gr, but not 185 gr. - why is that?

I specifically choose to use Power Pistol Powder because it was recommend for use in all the calibers I reload and I didn't want have more than one type of powder on hand. That removes the chance of mixing powders by mistake.

Anybody have any reloading references for a .45, 185 gr TMJ, SWC using power pistol?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition

shows a 185 XTP bullet with Power Pistol starting load of 8.4 max load of 9.5

the other bullets listed for 185 gr are

lead, jacketed, copper plated, XTP and a Barnes X Solid but none of them list the Power Pistol

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition

shows a 185 XTP bullet with Power Pistol starting load of 8.4 max load of 9.5

the other bullets listed for 185 gr are

lead, jacketed, copper plated, XTP and a Barnes X Solid but none of them list the Power Pistol
Yeah, I have Lee's 2nd and saw that one listed, but none of them are jacketed SWC. Hornady has the 185 gr. XTP and SWC listed, but does show power pistol powder for them.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
The Lyman 49th shows a 185 gr JHP starting at 7.4 min and 8.3 max. I know it's not the bullet you have but it is a 185 gr pill and if you start at the min and work up, you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Like howlnmad posted, data for pretty much any jacketed 185gr should be usable for those 185gr TMJ SWCs that you've got. Start at the bottom and work towards the max.
You will need to figure out the correct OAL length for those bullets in your pistol though. I would look for OAL length specs for some other 185gr SWC style bullets and try those as a starting point.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The main problem is COL. In the speer manual the OAL for a 185 jacketed SWC is 1.275. In the Hornady manual it is 1.135 and in Lyman it is 1.175. That is a pretty big spread. Guess I'll just have to make about 5 rounds in several different COLs and see what happens.

The thing I don't understand is why power pistol is not listed in any of the manuals for use with a jacketed 185 gr SWC? There must be some reason, but what? Why would it be listed with a 200 gr SWC, but not a 185 SWC?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You will need to make up some dummy rounds to determine how the bullets fit in your particular gun. The OAL numbers in a manual might not necessarily fit your pistol.
First by doing the "plunk test" to make sure your selected OAL will allow the cartridges to chamber fully. And second to make sure they will function through the magazine, up the feed ramp, and into the chamber.

There have been several threads in here fairly recently that cover how to do the plunk test and what to check for in mag/feedramp fitment.

I don't use it, but I think PowerPistol is on the slower burning side for lighter bullet weight .45ACP loads. It's around the area of the burn rate chart as Unique so should have similar applications.
Also, a lot of the data you might find for the lighter bullet weights is mild target loads instead of full power loads. Generally, you'll see a faster burning powder (like Bullseye or Titegroup) in those loads.
It just plain might not work all that hot with lighter weight bullets. There is some data out there so it might be worth a try.
I guess my go-to powder to try would be WW231/HP38...but that's one that I have on hand for darn near all of my handgun cartridges.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After looking over all the load data for various calibers and bullet weights I load it looks like Bullseye would work for all or nearly all of them. I guess I'll see if anyone has any around here.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
After looking over all the load data for various calibers and bullet weights I load it looks like Bullseye would work for all or nearly all of them. I guess I'll see if anyone has any around here.
HP 38 and W 231 are pretty versitile for pistols too

·
Banned
548 Posts
i have subscribed to loaddata.com
i just put in the 185 grain and power pistol powder and there is lots of data available for it.

Load Title: Number of Loads:

.45 ACP (Alliant Pistol & Revolver Data) (1)

.45 ACP (Alliant Reloaders Guide 2008) (1)

.45 ACP (Barnes X-Pistol Bullets) (1)

.45 ACP (Economical Midrange Loads) (1)

.45 ACP (Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition) (2)

.45 ACP (Speer Reloading Manual #14) (2)

.45 ACP / .45 Automatic (Using 185 GR Hornady Bullets) (5)

.45 ACP / .45 Automatic in a Colt Gold Cup National Match (1)

.45 ACP in a Kimber 1911 (1)

.45 ACP in a Kimber Custom Classic (1)

.45 ACP in an S&W Model 625-6 (1)

.45 ACP Remington Enhanced Model 1911 R1 (1)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts