The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took my daughter who just turned 21 to the local gun show. There were hardly any actual gun dealers there, but she zoned in on a RIA 9mm 1911. I tried to talk her into a .45 cal, but she has shot mine and does not like the recoil. I tried to tell her that the recoil would not be significantly less on the 9mm version due to the lighter weight, but she is convinced she needs this particular gun. Does anyone have any opinions on this gun that can convince her to look at something else, Or, can you convince me that this is a good option?

Full disclosure: I have never been a big fan of the 1911 platform, but it is growing on me. My early experience was with the Marines and their issue weapons were very badly shot out. I currently have a PT 1911, which is ok, but It really doesn't impress me all that much, but the price was right for a safe queen.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Rock island is making a good 1911 and I bleed 1911s. Shooter45 bought an STI Spartan 9mm from me about 2 yrs ago and he swears that it is the best gun for the money out there. My opinion is your daughter has good taste. Buy her the 1911.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
I owned a RIA 1911 in 9mm for a while, a really good gun. I now have a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm, I love it. A lot of people bash Taurus but I have always liked them and have had both auto and revolvers. One of the very first revolvers I ever bought was a Taurus .357.

If she likes and wants the 1911, then get it for her. Don't try to push something on her that she doesn't like.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, point taken. Do you all know the going price for the RIA 9mm? I have seen some online for $369, but in our area they are about $520. I have never bought online before, so, I am not sure what hoops I have to jump through.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have bought two handguns from Buds and had no problems other than they ship slow.
They ship the gun to a local FFL and you pick it up there after filling out the form and they do the background check. Buds will have a list of local FFLs they have shipped to for you to select from. Word of warning, I am waiting for a Savage rimfire and this is the 11th day since I placed the order and still no word that it's shipped. Seems the gun hoopla has really got 'em swamped. My previous two purchases took 4-5 business days to ship.

Buds has a 9mm RIA in stock for $428 cash price and says it ships it ships fast.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/411541850/API+RIA+1911A1+FS+9MM+GI+8

·
Administrator
32,507 Posts
The STI Spartan Review:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=85509&highlight=sti+spartan

I still believe the Spartan is the best deal in a semi custom 1911 on todays market.
The Spartan needs no ad ons as they are all there. Match ready out of the box.

I picked up my Spartan, took it out of the box, tore it down for cleaning and oiling,
fired a few rounds and won a match with it a few days later. :)

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
When I bought the 9mm RIA that I had, I ordered it directly from Centerfire Systems and had it shipped to my LGS. They already had a copy of my LGS' FFL. If I remember right, I paid $369 for it but that was a couple of years ago.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
I just looked at Bud's Gun Shop, they are out of stock but the last price they had was $294, now that is a great price for it.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I love my RIA 1911 in .45 ACP. It feeds everything, has a lifetime warranty no matter who originally bought it and customer service should you need it is second to none.

·
Banned
284 Posts
I like 1911 platform. I prefer .45.

9mm has a lot of zip. Again, I prefer .45.

Full size .45 has perfect recoil. Two successive shots within 1.5 sec....right on the money.

If I need the extra zip to hit my target, I will be on the wrong side of the courtroom.

I prefer .45

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If she wants a 9mm get her a 9mm. I'd go with the RIA tactical model. Change the grips out and I bet she'll love it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying to find a local range that has one so she can try it first. I tend to agree with PMK, the 9 will have more felt recoil than the .45. I might be wrong. I have found one on E-Sarcoinc (sp) for $369, but I have never heard of them and I don't want to send my CC info to someone I have never heard of. How is bud's for customer service? I have a friend who ordered a pistol from them back in December and is still waiting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
1. She's the one who has to be comfortable with the firearm, so if it's a 9mm she is comfortable with, I'd get her a 9mm. It's not like she can't change her mind later, which is a woman's prerogative anyway.

2. You might have her try a Springfield XD-9...it feels a lot like a 1911, but the slide safety is optional. I was a 1911 evangelist for most of my life...today I carry an XD.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have 3 1911's in 9mm and love them all. A Colt LW Commander 9mm, a Kimber Stainless II in 9mm, and my newest favorite is a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm:

That said, I second the recommendation of the Springfield XD9. I had an XD40 and sold it. If it had been a 9mm, I would have certainly kept it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I like 1911 platform. I prefer .45.

9mm has a lot of zip. Again, I prefer .45.

Full size .45 has perfect recoil. Two successive shots within 1.5 sec....right on the money.

If I need the extra zip to hit my target, I will be on the wrong side of the courtroom.

I prefer .45
Explain "zip" please

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
I have 3 1911's in 9mm and love them all. A Colt LW Commander 9mm, a Kimber Stainless II in 9mm, and my newest favorite is a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm:

That said, I second the recommendation of the Springfield XD9. I had an XD40 and sold it. If it had been a 9mm, I would have certainly kept it.
Those sure are some pretty grips!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
That pro carry II is really nice! I've Been wanting a 9mm 1911. I like the springer emp's. get her what she likes! My wife won't hardly shoot the .45, but loves to shoot the glock 26. It's a mental thing I think! The heavy .45 felt recoil isn't bad at all, but she sees the bigger bullet and thinks it is worse.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Something else to consider, it has similar operation and was designed by the same guy, the Browning High Power. Plus it carries a few more rounds than 1911s of the same caliber.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought about the hi-power, but they are harder to find than hens teeth around here. Two of the guns shops near us are getting 9mm 1911s in tomorrow and I am taking off work tomorrow to check them out. It will be a belated birthday present to her. Now I just have to get her signed up for instruction from someone other than me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts