The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I DON'T LAUGH AT PEOPLE...I LAUGH LOTS OF TIME WITH THEM, BUT NEVER AT THEM AND THEIR PLIGHTS, WHATEVER THEY MAY BE...ABOUT 8:00 AM THIS MORNING, I WAS ON MY WAY FOR MY ANNUAL MEDICAL APPOINTMENT.. HEY YOU GUYS, IT WAS THAT UROLOGY THING THAT IF YOU CAN'T SPELL THAT PROPER WORD RIGHT, CALL IT THE PEE-PEE DOCTOR FINGER WAY...OKAY, THAT ATTEMPT AT LEVITY ASIDE, I HAD CAUGHT THE TRAFFIC LIGHT CORNER OF 59th AVE/THUNDERBIRD RD...IN GLENDALE IT IS ONE OF THE MOST TRAFFIC ACCIDENT PRONE SPOTS IN TOWN...I WAS THE FIRST AUTO IN THE LEFT HAND TURN LANE . I NOTED THIS YOUNG COUPLE WITH THE VERY YOUNG WOMAN PUSHING A RICKETY STROLLER AND THE LARGE TEEN-AGED LOOKING FELLOW FOLLOWING CLOSE TO THE REAR...HE WAS ABOUT 2 FOOT TALLER THAN THE YOUNG WOMAN...BASEBALL CAP BACKWARDS ON THE BACK OF HIS HEAD AND A HOODY JACKET BUNCHED UP AROUND HIS NECK...OF COURSE HIS TROUSERS WERE RIDING LOW ON HIS TAIL BONE AND HIS SHOES WERE ALMOST BEING COVERED BY THE BAGGY PANTS...NO, NOW MIND YOU, I'M NOT POKING FUN, BUT AS HE STUMBLED ALONG HE HAD SOME ELECTRONIC DEVICE ALMOST ON THE END OF HIS NOSE, OBVIOUSLY READING OR LOOKING AT PICTURES...THERE WAS NOTHING JOYFUL ABOUT THE SCENE AND THE YOUNG WOMAN LOOKED ANGRY, DISGUSTED, AND WORRIED...MIND YOU, ALL THIS TIME THEY ARE CROSSING THE STREET....SEEMED AS IF THE YOUNG GUY HURRIED UP TO THE GAL AND HELD THE ELECTRONCI DEVICE RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER FACE...ANGRILY, SHE SLAPPED THE DEVICE AWAY, RIGHT ABOUT THE TIME SHE HAD REACHED THE CURBSIDE AND WAS LIFTING THE LITTLE STROLLER UP TO THE SIDEWALK... WHATEVER THE ELECTRONIC THING WAS, IT WENT FLYING FROM HIS HAND RIGHT OUT INTO THE STREET...THE TWO LOOKED TOWARD IT, FLABBERGASTED, FOR RIGHT THEN THE LEFT HAND TURN SIGNAL CHANGED TO GREEN AND THAT BUSY MORNING TRAFFIC WAS ON ITS WAY...DID IT RAIN ON YOUR PARADE TODAY? JOHN

THE FOLLOWING HAPPENED ON THAT SAME CORNER ABOUT 2 HOURS LATER...NOONE IS LAUGHING ABOUT IT EITHER..
SCARED IN GLENDALE!
The Arizona Republic-12 News Breaking News Team

Thu Feb 6, 2014 12:00 PM

One person was sent to the hospital after an officer-involved shooting in Glendale Thursday morning, according to Officer Tracey Breeden, a Glendale Police Department spokesman.
No officers were injured in the shooting, Breeden said.
The shooting occurred on 59th Avenue and Thunderbird Road at around 10 a.m. in northwest Phoenix. One person sustained a gunshot wound and was transported to a local hospital, Breeden said.
Glendale police officers were conducting an investigation with a U.S. marshals agent Thursday morning on a suspect wanted for felony warrants when they made contact with the man in a parking lot, Breeden said.
The 43-year-old suspect tried to flee when the Glendale officers contacted him, Breeden said. The suspect then tried to ram the officers who had the man boxed in, Breeden said, forcing the officers to fire.
The suspect was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries, Breeden said.
A dog that was in the truck with the suspect was also injured during the shootout and was taken to an animal hospital, she said.
Chris Matthias, an employee at a sandwich shop in the area, said he heard a series of loud bangs and went outside where police were already starting to gather. A truck in the parking lot had its windows shot out, he said.
The scene is still under investigation and Breeden did not anticipate releasing more information until later Thursday afternoon

·
26,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Glendale police have released the name of a man who was fatally shot Thursday morning while a fugitive task force was attempting to arrest him on felony warrants.

Stephen Wayne Ross, 43, was shot in the parking lot of a shopping center at Thunderbird Road and 59th Avenue. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Glendale Police Wanted Fugitive Task Force detectives were attempting to apprehend Ross on felony warrants and related fraud and forgery cases, according to Glendale police spokeswoman Officer Tracey Breeden. Ross also had outstanding felony warrants for his arrest for dangerous drugs as well as aggravated identity theft and forgery.

Ross allegedly tried to escape arrest after his blue pickup truck was boxed in by undercover law enforcement vehicles in the parking lot. Breeden said Ross was shot after he began aggressively driving his truck toward detectives and ramming their vehicles.

Police have not said how many shots were fired, but 15 bullet holes were counted on the pickup truck's windshield.

Breeden said a handgun was recovered during a search of Ross' vehicle.

Breeden said Ross had a violent criminal history as well as a history of fleeing from police.

Ross and his wife were arrested in August on mail theft charges. Police said there were hundreds of victims.

The Glendale Police Department determined only one of its detectives fired a weapon. He has been identified as Detective Jim Carlo.

Carlo is an 18-year veteran of the Glendale Police Department. He has been placed on paid administrative leave as is standard practice in any officer-involved shooting.

Police said the actual number of shooters cannot be confirmed until the U.S. marshals who were involved are interviewed by detectives next week.

But the U.S. Marshals Service said one deputy U.S. marshal opened fire and will also be placed on administrative leave.

David Gonzalez, U.S. marshal for Arizona, said the agency will also review its training and tactics, which is also typical after a critical incident.

This is the second time in the past two weeks that U.S. marshals have been involved in a shooting, which Gonzales said is rare.

"In these particular cases in the last two weeks, they both pulled out guns and, if they would have gone peacefully and given up, there wouldn't have been a problem," he said. "We do this four or five times a day without incidents."

Last year, five in 5,000 fugitive arrests in Arizona resulted in shots fired.

"When you're dealing with fugitives who do not want to go back to prison, who know they're going to go back to prison, they're going to do everything they can to get away," Gonzales said.

He described Thursday's setup as ideal for making an arrest because the suspect was inside a vehicle and surrounded by police cars.

"But in this case, he decided he wanted to go down fighting," Gonzales said. "He was spinning his tires, he was ramming the police cars to get away ... and then he brandished a weapon. We know the results."

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Dang Chief, your neighborhood is turning into some pretty ruff country. Better start sandbagging the house if this keeps up. lol:cool:

·
26,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings, Berto...having lived in Arizona as you have you may recall the years when crime around Phoenix was "down in the river bottom"...Well, it sure has migrated up to and invaded all the nice areas, even Scottsdale. The police are overwhelmed and county is encumbered by accusations from the illegals that they are being ...hell, I can't even think of that word.. labeled or singled out. Sheriff Joe has been having to use his resources to defend his peoples actions of law enforcement.. The nice late winter days are returning to the valley but we need some more rain...yeah, I've not filled sand-bags in more than 40 years but I bet I still can and it's coming to pass for many of us..Chief

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.