The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma. I want to get a new pistol, and I would like something that is suitable for both concealed carry and also accurate enough to use for target shooting. I am not too concerned with capacity, most situations don't seem to require more than a few rounds, if any, but I can also see the reasoning behind more is better. Knowing that this is an apples to oranges question, would you guys suggest going for a Kimber Micro 9 or a Browning Hi Power variant (Springfield SA35)? I have determined that the SA 35 is a possible candidate for concealed carry due to it's similarity in size to a Glock 19, the only difference being another 1/2 inch of barrel, but I definitely understand that the Kimber is going to be easier to use in that capacity. I recently got the chance to handle the Kimber and found it to be very comfortable in the hand. I was even able to use a full handed grip with the extended magazine floorplate. I have seen some evidence that the Kimber is fairly accurate, as well as the same for the Hi-Power. I know this is a really weird question, but I would like to know what you guys recommend.

Another thing that I forgot to mention on the capacity side is that capacity in semi autos seems like a bit of a moot point, at least in civilian self defense scenarios, considering the ability to reload in less than about two seconds with proper training

·
Registered
21 Posts
The two you mention are worlds apart in size and handling. Your dressing style will also be a determining factor for concealability. I carry a Shield Plus IWB until summer then mainly carry a Ruger LCPII when in shorts/t-shirt all the time. The Kimber Micro 9 is a very nice all year option, but I'm a larger frame Springfield Armory 1911 fan myself for target shooting.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Isn't this redundant from a few days ago?

Reactions: ms6852

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Don't miss in the first place.
Having run handgun shoots for years at our local club, I can tell you that there have been lots and lots of misses. Bowling pin shoots, which I believe were originally designed for law enforcement, really shows just how many misses there can be. But it is excellent practice and also shows a shooter which firearms he is best with and which he is slowest or less accurate with. Scores always dropped and times increased with big bore revolvers and 45 acp 1911s for the average shooters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it have to be 9mm?
not necessarily, just a common and affordable caliber.

A lot can happen in one, one thousand - two, one thousand.
While this is true, the overwhelming majority of situations that a concealed weapon will be used for don't require reloads in the first place. I can see how extra ammunition can be helpful, but I would consider even a 5 shot j frame adequate for normal defensive use.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you have shot the Kimber Micro 9 and it feels good to you and if meets your concealment needs, then you've found yourself a winner. They make a fine pistol.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
While this is true, the overwhelming majority of situations that a concealed weapon will be used for don't require reloads in the first place. I can see how extra ammunition can be helpful, but I would consider even a 5 shot j frame adequate for normal defensive use.
What exactly is normal defensive use?

My class was taught by a few leo's and they were big time high capacity. Yet, I usually carry a 5 shot snub or a 8 shot LCP Custom. Mainly for convenience but there usually is another mag or speed strip in my pocket. Sorry for the play on words, but so many of us go through civilian life and never have to fire a shot. But, there is nothing normal about when one is needed. How good are you at hitting a bouncing, biting dog or maybe a number of dogs. Knowing many average shooters at our club shoots, I'd imagine many misses. Or the person who just can't be stopped with 5 target loads from a 38 or a .22? Or, you walk around the corner and face multiple trouble makers. Most would scatter at the first shot, but again, what is normal and will it always be normal?

If you can stand the extra weight and bulk more is always better because that fickle finger of fate could be anything from normal to unexpected, which most situations usually are.. I know, we like to think, based on statistics that 5 shots is more than enough and hopefully it will be, but..........

Reactions: BlackEagle and BWXT

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Having run handgun shoots for years at our local club, I can tell you that there have been lots and lots of misses. Bowling pin shoots, which I believe were originally designed for law enforcement, really shows just how many misses there can be. But it is excellent practice and also shows a shooter which firearms he is best with and which he is slowest or less accurate with. Scores always dropped and times increased with big bore revolvers and 45 acp 1911s for the average shooters.
Having competed in a lot of matches....and spending a few years in law enforcement, they ain't the same.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Another factor to consider beside the size of the pistol is the weight. You mention Glock 19 vs SA35, the 35 weighs 1/2 a pound more. In my view the 35 is a far far better pistol than the Glock but that half pound is to be considered. Having zero idea of how big you are, the climate you live in or the way you dress cannot give much of a suggestion other than carry the largest pistol that you can comfortably conceal. Most of the year were I live for me that is a LCP or a LCR, neither is a "target" pistol but they are not a burden so they actually get carried. They are backed up by a "better" pistol in the truck or something quite a bit more formidable at the house.
IMHO you should get a gun you will actually carry and get a nice 22 for a target gun, Ruger MK, Browning Buckmark, S&W Victory...........that way you will be able to shoot enough to have some fun without going too broke.

·
Premium Member
21,716 Posts
A lot depends on how much you want to spend. Let us know your budget for this.

Reactions: MPistone

·
13,879 Posts
You may not have realized it but you made a point most people may have missed.
Sometimes your firearm may choose you, you may not realize it but you shoot enough different firearms and you will find THAT ONE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another factor to consider beside the size of the pistol is the weight. You mention Glock 19 vs SA35, the 35 weighs 1/2 a pound more. In my view the 35 is a far far better pistol than the Glock but that half pound is to be considered. Having zero idea of how big you are, the climate you live in or the way you dress cannot give much of a suggestion other than carry the largest pistol that you can comfortably conceal. Most of the year were I live for me that is a LCP or a LCR, neither is a "target" pistol but they are not a burden so they actually get carried. They are backed up by a "better" pistol in the truck or something quite a bit more formidable at the house.
IMHO you should get a gun you will actually carry and get a nice 22 for a target gun, Ruger MK, Browning Buckmark, S&W Victory...........that way you will be able to shoot enough to have some fun without going too broke.
Would you go for the 22 or the carry gun first?

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Would you go for the 22 or the carry gun first?
Probably not but I would become proficient in the safe use of pistols and the 22 is well suited to that task. After becoming skilled and confident I would then decide on a carry gun.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably not but I would become proficient in the safe use of pistols and the 22 is well suited to that task. After becoming skilled and confident I would then decide on a carry gun.
If it is helpful, I have shot pistols owned by friends and family numerous times. I am now just looking at getting one for myself.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend. Let us know your budget for this.
Roughly $600. Maybe willing to go a little more for something special.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts