The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deep vault pulls - a pictorial essay of hand selected mil spec surplus rifles / collectors reserve super stash unicorns and white whales - unobtanium...

I know some of you love me and some of you hate me...

Per frequent requests here are some sneak peeks from long term deep storage vaults / two safes tha.t don't see much daylight beyond a once a year inspection and wipedown and rotation to breath...

I have not posted pics of these items previously - forgive the picture quality as the concrete basement floor and cheap carpet backgrounds don't make for superb archival material - I tried grass and picnic table and a few other backdrops but most just don't seem to do that well...

Tell me what you think and what you like or what you find confusing...

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more...

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And a few more more...

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the duplicates - when the neuropathy is bad my fingers and hands don't work right and entering / typing / posting data here from my phone can be difficult and frustrating...

I assure you it's not a deliberate attempt to take up bandwidth or memory it's just my body refusing to function correctly.

I did promise to try to keep up with requests for pics and data sent via pm or email or via a thread content reply - and I am honored and humbled by the interest...

Also the intellectual exercise and time well spent on a positive mental acuity based activity is a helpful distraction when the pain and neuropathy have reached alarmingly bad heights...

As you may have noted by this point my interest in French military firearms somewhat naturally led to an exploration into and purchases of imperial Ethiopian pre WWII / pre Italian invasion arms as well as post war French colonial democratic Ethiopian nation state weapons...

I bought many of these guns in the 1986-2000 period were the interest and value of many of these guns from many of these countries was at an all time low - especially when not in gem mint perfect grade condition (as you can see some of my guns are rather rough or are variants / modifications that nobody was interested in)

Some particularly novel receiver crests and proofs in this grouping at least IMHO...

These were often garbage guns that gathers dust and were hated on or scorned - that sat untouched with price tags under $100.00

So for the most part nothing spectacular or noteworthy but through the lens of time and the cycle of interest and the law of supply and demand gun that somehow now are worth more or sought after more to fill holes in collections or to be purchased and curated as a novelty or a gun not often seen or displayed or taken to the range because nobody has ever seen one or handled one or fired one or examined one based on there simply being non in circulation or changing hands - not because they are Faberge eggs or Picasso's sketches...

You could not give away R35 Ethiopian colonial variant modernized arsenal pattern desert warfare or mountain troop types of the 1886 lebel rifle over a 30 year period even if you could find a decent example with matching numbers and a good bore...

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Some very nice weaponry,and some very rare stuff I have'nt seen,thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Army surplus blanket background for pics tested out as well...

A commercial tile utility room flooring backdrop for pics is attempted...

Are any of these picture / photography background / backdrop medias preferable to your eyes of are these okay and just good enough for the purposes of these discussion / debate / educational threads???

Unfortunately I have a rather motley collection of used vintage glass front gun cabinets and some Kmart brand press board el cheapo mini cabinets and some stack on safes and one nice custom made cabinet and a decent large vintage browning brand safe where the guns stack around the perimeter and have a round rack in the center (holds like 20 long guns but you cannot see through a safe so no display value - like 1976 vintage bicentennial model from an estate sale)...

I have a series of wall mount hanging gun racks that line the walls of a deep closet with a security door...

So certain guns get a window seat and are as they say on display while others ride in coach at the back of the plane in a narrow middle seat with no window view or aisle access...

I have maybe a dozen 1888 commission Mauser variants mostly carbines for engineers or fusiliers or grenadiers or cavalry or artillery that are stored together but only two are on display the balance in a safe with no windows or portholes...

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
S-W-E-E-T stuff Mike . You got enough to open your own Cody Museum . Let me know if you do cause I will be there for the grand opening . On your Vetterli loading clip I have seen were some guy is making them know , they look pretty good . Just thought would pass that on .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts