The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our deer population is in trouble, there are very few Whitetail alive after CWD and Blue toung sweept through Eastern Washington. Mule deer seem to surive thoes diseases but in all the State of WA Dept of Fish & Game's infinite wisdom baning the use of hounds for hunting, the cougar population has exploded and a adult cougar will eat one deer per week.
Thousands of dead deer in the streems, ponds and rivers.

We usually limit at 12, this year we got one 3 x 3 mulley.
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Car

my neighbor shot the only whitetail alive in Whitman county, it was a nice 7 x 6
Natural material Wood Fawn Horn Art

We got board so we mixed up 5 lbs of tannerite
Plant community Ecoregion Plant Water Highland

My hunting buddy, who is on the lookout for deer.
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Automotive tire

I won't starve to death. I have a Red Deer tied up
Water Working animal Human body Dairy cow Horn

I trade hunting for fishing! The fisherman brought crabs, guarded very closely by Colt.
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Dishware

55 gl drum launch.
Cloud Sky Landscape Plain Asphalt

PawPaw lets go hunting!
Sky Vehicle Cloud Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a real shame. I guess I should consider the alternative when I get upset about the deer rummaging through my wife's flowers or my tomato garden. The Missouri department of conservation are doing their best to keep those two crippling diseases in check.
The severe drought here is directly related to blue toung, the cougar problem could be controlled but the weather can't.

Hemorrhagic Disease in white-tailed deer (often called "blue tongue") is caused by viruses transmitted by small, biting flies. The virus does not affect humans. Populations of these biting flies peak in summers with a lot of early rainfall followed by dry weather, creating ideal environmental conditions for their reproduction. Affected deer seek out water to drink or cool off, which is why many deer are found near streams or ponds. Hemorrhagic Disease is fatal to some deer, whereas others develop resistance and pass that on to their offspring. After the first hard frost kills the biting flies, reports of sick deer rapidly diminish and few are observed thereafter. Although elk have been exposed to these viruses, there is no evidence that elk are ever affected by the disease.

Hemorrhagic Disease is generally reported in late summer and early fall. Large-scale outbreaks typically occur every 5-10 years.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
we have blue tongue here for the first time ever. I guess a lot of deer are being found dead. We call them up here No SeeUms, but scientific name is midge?
A 9 pointer / or 5 X 4 172 LB got shot just a few hundred yards south of me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Up here (Ontario, Canada) depending on the area, bow season for whitetail is open where I'll be at the end of the week. Rifle season opens the first Mon. of Nov. and it's a 2 week season. We don't have blue tongue, but there are scattered cases of CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease). I've never personally encountered or harvested a sick animal, and our area is awash in doe but the bucks seem to be elusive. To get an "antlerless" tag, also referred to most commonly as a doe tag, you have to enter a lottery system and apply before the end of June. Between my buddy and I, we have one doe and one buck tag. We normally manage to get at least one deer in the 2 weeks. Last year, my buddy shot a nice doe on the first day. I had a buck only tag and the only buck I saw was a little spike horn. If the antler is under 4", it's considered "antlerless" so it wasn't legal for us to take and I wouldn't shoot a small deer like that anyway. For some reason, the rut hasn't come about at the normal time for last 3 yrs. We need the rut to stand a good chance of nailing a buck since there's no resident herd on the property, but since we're the only ones hunting over the 125 acres, it's pretty quiet around us and we're hopeful for a successful hunt this year. I wish all my fellow hunters a safe and successful hunt.

·
Administrator
13,845 Posts
We have about a month before gun season starts her in Alabama. The rut in my area is usually not until the last week of Dec and may run through the end of Jan. We are allowed one unantlered deer per day and 3 antlered deer per year.

·
Administrator
13,845 Posts
In Alabama a 5x4 is called a nine point. But a nine point could be a 6x3 or a 8x1.

I shot a 6x0 one year. It was a 6x6 when I pulled the trigger. It ran thru the brush and dropped one side. I found it while tracking him. He had been shot by an arrow during bow season and he had gotten infected to the point the deer was sick. I found the broadhead in his backstrap. The whole deer went to the dump.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Brown Map Terrestrial plant Grass Soil

This is where I am hunting opening weekend in Texas. This is east of Rock Springs, Texas. My buddy killed a huge Axis there last year

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
267 Posts
Our youth day is Saturday, and a buddy was over last night scouting out back for a place to hang a tree stand for him and his daughter. Rifle season is next month, with my legs acting up so bad, I will be in the ground blind watching the apple trees, hoping for a shot that I don't have to walk or drag anything very far, but I am mostly trying to get a bear that has been hanging around the house all summer, tearing things up, he got the trash again last night.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts