The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my M-1 carbine. Can out deer hunt with it? I seen some carbon ammo with barns bullets.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
My wife did for the 2009 season. I developed a nice shootn load with a 90 gr XTP that was effective on deer inside 100 yds. Ill look for the thread.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The local Indians have a couple 30 carbines, use them for caribou. I remember back east deer that I made bad shots on with 7 mag, went on forever until I finally got them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The local Indians have a couple 30 carbines, use them for caribou. I remember back east deer that I made bad shots on with 7 mag, went on forever until I finally got them.
I went on a hunt up there and asked the guide what he used for the bears for that he said he got the big gun out a savage 99 chambered for .250 savage

·
Registered
742 Posts
That's all my Mom's dad used and he got a big en one year. They've got pics at my folks' house.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I don't know about VA but with under 1000 foot pounds muzzle energy, the .30 Carbine won't meet power requirements in some states, including MD. (They generally use the published factory figures, not the ones you might claim for your handloads.)

Jim

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Savage, There's a couple ole 300 Savages around the village and all kinds of old military guns, usually 308 or 06's. Every Indian has an old 30-30, they believe they have some spiritual power and I've watched them stand there with their 30-30 and talk to grizzly bear 20 yards away; got to wonder about them Indians. Indians down Ft. Yukon killed a sow polar bear with a 223 Ar several years back, I even saw the picts.

I carry my 6.8 stag all the time for protection and we have killed just under a dozen blk bear with that gun. Had a buddy take several shots with a 458 win mag to kill a 350 lb bear, so I figure it's more about karma than knockdown power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know about VA but with under 1000 foot pounds muzzle energy, the .30 Carbine won't meet power requirements in some states, including MD. (They generally use the published factory figures, not the ones you might claim for your handloads.)

Jim
Here are the laws regarding use of rifles and pistols for deer bear and TURKEY.

• Rifles used for deer or bear must be .23 caliber or larger.
  • Rifles (including air rifles) may be used for taking wild animals and wild birds, except migratory game birds and waterfowl, and where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • Rifles (including air rifles), pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting crows, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • Rifles (including air rifles), pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting turkeys, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • Pistols, revolvers, and muzzleloading pistols may be used for small game, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 footpounds muzzle energy or more.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
the .30 carbs got ya covered cpt.. The 90 gr XTP at 2200 is good for double that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Savage, There's a couple ole 300 Savages around the village and all kinds of old military guns, usually 308 or 06's. Every Indian has an old 30-30, they believe they have some spiritual power and I've watched them stand there with their 30-30 and talk to grizzly bear 20 yards away; got to wonder about them Indians. Indians down Ft. Yukon killed a sow polar bear with a 223 Ar several years back, I even saw the picts.

I carry my 6.8 stag all the time for protection and we have killed just under a dozen blk bear with that gun. Had a buddy take several shots with a 458 win mag to kill a 350 lb bear, so I figure it's more about karma than knockdown power.
Ever see native Nat Guardsmen cop a M2 50 cal and try to go hunting with it??:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts