The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to attempt to cook a deer meatloaf,
w/ onions, garlic, green pepper and a meatloaf season pkg.
I've been told to mix olive oil in while mooshing up the pre-mix to help keep it moist while cooking.

Time & temp. thoughts also appreciated

Any other suggestions or recipes would be appreciated :D

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you don't want to add olive oil you can mix in beef at a 2/3 ratio more deer fer the flavor. 350 fer bout an hour dependin on how much meat you have. We et a lot of deer when I was growin up. You could forgo the meatloaf seasonin on yer next one and just open the spice cabinet and have fun with it. Garlic onion sage all go real good with deer. "Meatloaf is bout what you make it. Enjoy"--My mother.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
I like to stuff mine with cheeses, typically bleu, cheddar or mozzarella. I also add spinach to the stuffing fairly often.

As for olive oil, I just lightly coat the dish I'm using to bake it in, nothing more.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The meatloaf that my wife makes has ground crackers mixed in . The last time she made it she used pretzels instead of crackers.... turned out wonderful!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The meatloaf that my wife makes has ground crackers mixed in . The last time she made it she used pretzels instead of crackers.... turned out wonderful!
And then that would call for a few shots of beer... sounds like a plan to me.:D

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I use olive oil to brown my meat with anyway but to make a moist venison loaf I add 1/3 pork sausage to it. I cook mine in the crock pat so dryness isn't a problem.

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts
with the seasonings/spices you like , I add eggs, breadcrumbs, A-1 sauce, Worcestershire, and a little olive oil.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Oh please do let us know how it works out. I've never had a deer meatloaf and I love meatloaf and venison!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use a packet of onion soup mix, a little ketchup , eggs, bread cubes soaked in milk , garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Turns out good and makes great sandwiches next day.

·
Super Moderator
28,083 Posts
We mix ours up just like regular beef meatloaf except we add a little bit of Hunts meatloaf sauce (it comes in a can). Then roll it out into a rectangle on some wax paper to about 1/2 inch thick. Layer sliced ham and provolone cheese on it. Roll it up. Pinch the seam and ends shut. Pour some of the sauce over the top and put it in a baking pan and into the oven. When it's almost done, put some provolone on the top and let it melt and just start to brown. Take it out and let it rest before slicing. Some sauteed peeled and herbed new potatoes in butter go great alongside this and some roasted brussel sprouts. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I’m a little late to this thread but here is one version I make. It’s called a venison cheddar roll, but it’s basically meat loaf.

1lb venison burger
1lb venison breakfast sausage
1 egg
2 TBS. of BBQ sauce
1 cup of bread crumbs
Chopped green onion
1 cup cheddar cheese.(I used a combo of plain cheddar cheese & smoked apple wood cheddar cheese)
BBQ sauce to finish.

Combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, and the two tablespoons of BBQ sauce and mix well

Lay out meat mixture onto a piece of wax paper and shape it out 12-14 x 8-9 inches or so. I used a cutting board underneath the wax paper to get the shape and size I wanted.

Top with the cheddar cheese and chopped green onions. Keep the toppings back 1 inch from all edges.

Starting with the short side roll the meat up like a jelly roll, peeling the wax paper back as you go. Seal the seam and pinch the ends together to keep the cheese in during cooking.

I placed this on my grill with indirect heat covered with aluminum foil in a roasting pan. I grilled it an hour with the foil on, then removed the foil and grilled another 20 minutes and then brushed it with BBQ sauce and grilled it an additional 10 minutes. I removed it from the grill and re-covered it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes before I sliced it up.

I make another version similar but I stuff it with tomatoes, spinach, onions, and then wrap it in bacon before grilling it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts