The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought I would drop in and post a picture as I have not been on here for quite a spell.This is my buck from this year. The Elk I found was a young 2X3 that is now in the freezer. May post pictures of him later. Deer in the yard are kind of pets,well not really but they do not get shot at or the is a real problem by me. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
That is one nice buck. Congratulations! I understand your being protective of your neighborhood deer, we were the same way with the quail on our property.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one buck. Congratulations! I understand your being protective of your neighborhood deer, we were the same way with the quail on our property.
I just look at it this way. The jerks that drive up and down the dang road all dressed in their camouflage clothing give the real hunters a terrible name. My neighbor down the road 1/2 mile had her horse shot by some jerk at night in her yard. Guess they saw eyeballs and just shot. Wish I could have caught them. Well maybe its better I did not catch them. When the deer leave my property they are fair game and I do not hold it against anyone even if I knew it was one of the deer that came for easy meals. To me hunting is more about getting out and enjoying the woods than about killing something. Heck,once the gun fires the fun is over and the work starts!:eek: I live in the woods and mostly hunt something 52 weeks out of the year. Did I mention I love to hunt and I live in the woods.:D

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
that's a good healthy herd there Catfish! nice mature buck hanging there too.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I just look at it this way. The jerks that drive up and down the dang road all dressed in their camouflage clothing give the real hunters a terrible name. My neighbor down the road 1/2 mile had her horse shot by some jerk at night in her yard. Guess they saw eyeballs and just shot. Wish I could have caught them. Well maybe its better I did not catch them. When the deer leave my property they are fair game and I do not hold it against anyone even if I knew it was one of the deer that came for easy meals. To me hunting is more about getting out and enjoying the woods than about killing something. Heck,once the gun fires the fun is over and the work starts!:eek: I live in the woods and mostly hunt something 52 weeks out of the year. Did I mention I love to hunt and I live in the woods.:D
We saw it more as the quail on our property were breeding stock, our neighbors were the same way. We had certain fields we would hunt, all the rest were off limits so they wouldn't be hunted to extinction in our area.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wife and I used to hatch around 2500 Northern Bobwhite and several hundred Ringnecks every year. Sometimes the chicks didn't sell out and we held them over long enough that they could fly. Sometimes one or more would escape by accident of course. Neighbors sure did like it as they fed them around their places. Housecats finally took care of most of them I guess. We also tried to get some Mountain Quail eggs but they were so dang expensive I could not afford them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts