Dem Congressman calls for 2nd Restoration

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by armedandsafe, May 3, 2009.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I highlighted the portions emphasising "minor crimes" for those who only scan and trolls.

Pops

2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

In this country, as I recall, when a man had paid his debt to society, jail time and probation, his citizenship rights were restored to him. When and how did this change? Sometime in the 60s? Or am I mistaken?

3. primerib

primerib New Member

A democrat introduced this bill?

4. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Two red flags pop up immediately. First this guy is a Dem, and second, the NRA is supporting this (D) sponsored bill.

Now on the other hand, there might be a slight chance (10% +/-) that this is a good bill, but the devil is in the details.

I haven’t’ looked at this bill yet to see what the ‘minor crimes’ are yet, but I know that there are state laws that make misdemeanors as good as felonies for the purpose of disarming folks.

It sounds good on its face, but so does anything that is ‘for the children’ too.

5. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Yeah I'm not sure what a minor crime means exactly in the state of GA but i have a buddy who was convicted of a felony because he got involved in a chop shop and was charged with theft by taking/receiving. before this he was an avid gun enthusiast and hunter and now he cant own any guns for the rest of his life and i don't think that sounds very fair so if theft by taking/receiving is a non violent minor crime than this bill will get him his guns back!! so I'm all for it!!!

6. Marlin T

Second Amendment Restoration Act (Introduced in House)

HR 2153 IH
    111th CONGRESS
    1st Session
    H. R. 2153
    To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to increase the extent to which State law is used in determining whether a criminal conviction under State law is sufficient to deny a person the right to ship, transport, possess, or receive a firearm.
    IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
    April 28, 2009

Mr. STUPAK introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary
    A BILL

To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to increase the extent to which State law is used in determining whether a criminal conviction under State law is sufficient to deny a person the right to ship, transport, possess, or receive a firearm.
    • Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

• This Act may be cited as the `Second Amendment Restoration Act'.
    SEC. 2. LIMITED RESTORATION OF FIREARMS RIGHTS UNDER STATE LAW.

• (a) In General- Section 921(a)(20) of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:
    • `(20) The term `crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year' does not include--
      • `(A) any Federal or State offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices; or
      • `(B) any State offense classified by the laws of the State as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of 2 years or less, or by an indeterminate sentence.
    • What constitutes a conviction of such a crime shall be determined in accordance with the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held. Any conviction which has been expunged or set aside, or for which a person has been pardoned, has had civil rights restored, or has not lost civil rights, shall not be considered a conviction for purposes of this chapter, except to the extent that the pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights, or State or Federal law, expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive any firearm.'.
    • (b) Applicability- The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to proceedings brought or pending before, on, or after the date of the enactment of this Act.

THIS SEARCH THIS DOCUMENT GO TO

7. Marlin T

There is no way in hell that this is going to pass.
    The Dems wouldn’t be able to disarm those accused of domestic violence anymore. This is a no go bill.

8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

We gritch and whine about the liberals repeatedly putting up their ban bills. Then we gritch and whine when anybody repeatedly puts up a bill protecting the 2nd because "it's not going to pass." Whaddya want, egg in your bier? :D

We all know it won't pass, but it is an attempt to get some debate going and bring forth some truth on our side and expose some lies on their side.

Pops

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  9. islenos

islenos Active Member

It's all a bunch of crap.

If a really really bad guy, that served time for assault with a firearm, once he gets released is he going to bother with a 4473 form or will he just get a firearm under the table.

So as it stands, only those that do not want to obtain a firearm illegally are being punished.

I believe in anyone and everyone has the right to a firearm.

10. Marlin T

I’m not whinen because this guy is trying to do the right thing mind ya, but as you know, the odds. Ohhhh the odds of the anti constitutional party given back our rights are about nil.

As a matter of fact, I’ll rub Bingaman’s face in the fact that a fellow Dem authored this piece, so he should be a co-sponsor! J Ahh, but we are back to the odds thing, and power once taken is hard to give back.

11. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Thanks for posting that.
    At this point, whether this passes or not. It is a ray of sunshine, in an otherwise bleak legislative year. Keep a good thought, Maybe, just maybe we have made a inroad on the other side.

12. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

The downside to this Bill, I suspect, could be yet another round of upgrading minor misdemeanors to felonies ala the Lautenberg Law. Folks here do remember its consequences...... ?? !! Some good cops and a lot of folks with decades of spotless behavior suddenly found themselves being arrested.......>MW

13. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

"Ya know, I tried positive thinking once. I new it wouldn't work and I was right it didn't".:rolleyes:

Your harshin' my mellow Marlin T. And stop bad mouthing the NRA.

(closing the hatch on my bunker):D:p