The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this and not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I just have a quick question.

There is a dent in the casing of one of my 5.56 rounds. Is this an issue, or is it okay to fire? It will chamber into my rifle smoothly. I just don't want to damage anything if I can avoid it.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
TFF Chaplain
20,428 Posts
Are those reloads? If so, who reloaded them?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
447 Posts
That round looks rode hard and put up wet. Why is is so scratched and dented? Has it been hand cycled through the firearm a bunch of times? Is that a factory load, someone else's reload, or your reload? Is that the only one like it that you have?

As to whether a dent such as shown will affect the round, the answer is that it will not

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did just buy the rifle and was having some trouble with the magazine that came with it wanting to double feed, so the round may have got scratched up and dented while fixing that. Still pretty new to ARs so I may have done it. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to effect the bullet or gun in a negative way if I fired it.

It is a factory round.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks to me that there may be a weak spot on the top of the dent. Check it out well.

I usually can a round like that.

·
Premium Member
13,492 Posts
Keep track of it, shoot it and examine it afterward. It should be fine but if not, trash it. I fired one very similar to that this morning but not in an AR. It's fine and I'll reload it many more times I'm certain.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I doubt it will cause a problem firing it but the dent look's not so good, doubt I'd re-use the case. Most dents I've seen are in the shoulder and result from over lubing a re-loaded round. Someone already mentioned the sharp edge look. Just guessing but whatever happened to that case would for me ruin it. Now it would become what I'd call weak and might split there. Shoot it one time and dump it. Then there's nothing to concern yourself with. Could very well simply smooth itself out on shooting but I'd dump it any way. Just so you know, it's not generally called a bullet case, it's simply a cartridge case.

·
Premium Member
13,492 Posts
It ain't gonna damage any rifle.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
It looks like it was jammed and somebody used a screwdriver to get it out. It also looks like the bullet has set back in the case which would raise pressure. I would check overall length and if it's the same as the rest I would shoot it. If it has been set back I would not.

·
Registered
Couple wall hangers
9,663 Posts
Take a closer look, the bullet is also pretty beat up, no telling where it will go if fired. Get some fresh ammo, fire it, retrieve the cases and see what the look like coming out.

Question #2 - does the rifle have a forward assist? Those will make that kind of a dent. That one looks like someone might've hammered on the forward assist, or manually extracted the round using picks and screwdrivers. Or both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts