The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dented a primer, somehow, its new Winchester brass, will the decapping pin set if off if i decap it in the press? Would it be safe to put powder n bullet in it and shoot it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
It’ll probably be all right if it’s not used in an AR type rifle. AR rifles have a floating firing pin that leaves a light strike dent on the primer when the bolt slams into battery and the firing pin slam forwards that could possibly cause a slam fire. In bolt action rifle it shouldn’t be a problem. Also. That primer mite have a different ignition characteristic then the other primers if you OCD about accuracy like I do.

If you choose to remove it, you could chamber the empty cartridge case and just fire it, of which it will be LOUD, or de-prime it in the sizing die (don’t forget to lube the cartridge case) and slowly push it out. Ware safety glasses and hearing protection if it does go pop. Then soak it with penetrating oil like WD-40 to render it inert. Water will not work. The little buggers are water proof.

I know that primers are as precious gold, but sometimes you just mite have to bight the bullet and go with what is safe.

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
Shoot it, gently deprime it, re-use it, either or any. I have never, ever had one go off depriming many hundreds of them, at least, over the decades and reused them with 100% certainty. Goodness, folks act as if they're handling nitro glycerin.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
It happens all the time when I get a piece of trash on the primer seating anvil. When I see it happen, I just take a brush and clean the trash so it doesn't happen to the next one! I just shoot them without problems - even an my AR's!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Shoot it. Caused by crap on top of the seating stem. On my Dillon 550 I keep a can of computer "air"
next to the press and blow the shellplate/primer system clean as needed.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Pushed out a LOT of primers and re pressed then back into a case with no issues.
Slow and steady gets the job done. Never had one go off that wasn't meant to. ;)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Once many moons ago with a friend when loading a batch of 38 Spl. or 357 Mag., can’t remember which, on a Dillion 550, a primer ignited. The loading room was basically a walk in closet. Needless to say it was LOUD. Scared his one cat so much, it pooped. Then not so many moons ago while priming some 223 commercial, non crimped primer pockets with a RCBS hand priming tool, a Winchester SR primer ignited. Again that was LOUD. Good thing that I always have the tool and cartridge case pointed away from my face.

In both incidents there was nothing between the primer and priming punch/ram.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
I saw two go off in one day while my neighbor was loading on his Dillon, both were Federal primers which are known to be soft. That is the reason I will NOT EVER buy Federal primers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have actually dented a few primers over time. None of them ignited in the press, charged and loaded with bullets and only ignited with the firing pin strikes. I too have also deprimed many rounds with no pops. I would charge, load and fire it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts