The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reloaded with Vihtauori N320, 6.6g and cases eject up to 20 feet away and have a small horizontal dent at the mid point on the case. Can the long distance they eject and the small dent be explained?

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
I suspect that you have a stock 1911. The dent in the case is caused by hitting the edge of the ejection port on the way out. This happened from 1911 on through at least the 60s. It causes no trouble with shooting the gun but it upsets some people that reload their brass.

They started modifying the ejection port. Making the hole bigger so the brass did not hit the edge.

See how much lower the hole goes on the left port then on the right port.

As to why it's throwing the brass so far, the only thing I can come up with is it is a higher pressure load, so it is recoiling harder, so it hits the ejector with more force, and is thus ejected farther.

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
I suspect that you have a stock 1911. The dent in the case is caused by hitting the edge of the ejection port on the way out. This happened from 1911 on through at least the 60s. It causes no trouble with shooting the gun but it upsets some people that reload their brass.

They started modifying the ejection port. Making the hole bigger so the brass did not hit the edge.

As to why it's throwing the brass so far, the only thing I can come up with is it is a higher pressure load, so it is recoiling harder, so it hits the ejector with more force, and is thus ejected farther.
This pretty much explains it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The gun is a Kimber Custom II. Do not have the situation with factory rounds.

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
What is your bullet weight? I just looked at their load data, and the maximum load for the 185 bullet is 7.0, so you should be fine with that. The maximum load with a 230 grain bullet is 5.9, so you would have a massive overload.

If your load is safe, and you do not wish the brass to be thrown that far, you can upgrade to a stronger recoil spring. Although, if you get a stronger recoil spring, you might have difficulty with factory loads.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

This^^^. Loading for semi auto firearms, requires close attention to the pressure of the load. You need enough to cycle the action, and too much breaks stuff. On a 1911 variant, what Alpo showed for opening the ejection port, is half the equation. The weight of the recoil spring is the other. Get a heavier spring, or get a Wolff variable spring, that takes out the guess work. When you have violent ejections, it's not just hard on brass, you beat up the gun too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Suggest you reload with Bullseye or 3.9 grs. It will just recycle the action and not cause you problems.

Reactions: shootbrownelk
1 - 12 of 12 Posts