Deringer what is it?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Don111, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Don111

Don111 New Member

DSCN0192.JPG Recently bought, 95 style deringer except for ejector, with wood grips, nickel finish, engraved, .41 long, with the #1 stamped on frame right side, bottom of barrel in front of barrel lock, on the ejector, grips, trigger mechanism, firing pin mechanism. Found 2 pictures online same exact gun. Both had Remingtion & Son on the top of the barrel. Mine does not. No manufacturer marks. Was told it was Spanish. Could anyone help with identification?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

3. Don111

Don111 New Member

As I stated in my earlier post, the #1 is all over this gun. Have some pictures this time. Could this be a Remington? DSCN0196.JPG DSCN0192.JPG

Attached Files:

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I don't believe I've seen copy of a Remington derringer that latches like that . The engraving looks Belgium , the gun looks Belgium, might be German, but I bet cha it is Belgium. And one from the 1930's too. But then again, upon careful reconstitution , I don't have the foggiest of its origin

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Firpo likes this.
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

That's not a latch- it's the extractor/extractor.
    The gun latches like any other Remington.

6. Old Guns

Old Guns Active Member

I believe this is an early Remington Derringer that has been modified for the automatic ejector. The early models had a slightly different angle to the trigger like this one does. The shield at the bottom has been filed away to allow for clearance for the ejector system. Notice how the engraving runs off the edges. If it were foreign it would have some sort of proof marks in my opinion. I think the address along the top of the barrel has been worn down or filed off with some of the front sight. These guns were batch numbered so there is more then one No1 serial number. Now the interesting thing to ponder is the question, could this be some sort of Remington prototype? Probably not or the engraving would have fit the frame. An interesting gun to ponder.

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

8. Old Guns

Old Guns Active Member

This gun is marked Remington on top of the barrel. It is an early version.

[​IMG]

9. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

The sights on this do not match the early Remington version. The rear sight notch on Remington's are on the hinge. The rear sight on this one is located behind the frame on the hinge. The front sight is also in the same place as a Remington, it is more forward.

10. Old Guns

Old Guns Active Member

These guns had transitions just like most others, The front sight is more like a later gun. The hammer like an early gun. The rear sight and ejector mechanism are modified. The other details are a perfect match. I have never seen a close copy of this gun before.

11. Don111

Don111 New Member

9387502_6.jpg untitled.png 308-92_Spanish%20Copy-Remington%20Model%2095_2.jpg

To all who had comments Thanks, I found these on the internet, all are similar in one way or another to mine. The gold one is of paticular interest, this looks just like mine. I still don't know what I have.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The gun shows signs of heavy pitting, but the modified ejector does not show such signs ? As if Doctor Frankenstein added the parts later.

13. Old Guns

Old Guns Active Member

Here is another gold plated one. I think it is now obvious that these are early Remington Derringers that were commercially modified including the shape of the hammer on some versions. The E. Remington and Sons is an early address. I can't find much out about the earliest guns. It looks like they did not survive in large numbers compared to the later guns. From the pictures it looks like the front sight evolved some as time passed. None of these modified guns are built on the standard model as we know it. That would leave me to believe that the company making the modification either ceased to exist or stopped doing this before the frame changed.

[​IMG]

RJay likes this.
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The day I stop learning is the day they are shoveling dirt over a 6X3 box I will be occupying ;)

rawright54 likes this.
  15. Old Guns

Old Guns Active Member

This is a page from Guns of the Old West By Charles Edward Chapel, note the description of the Remington first model double derringer.
    upload_2017-9-15_0-37-24.png

Don111 and RJay like this.