The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I bought a 38 special Derringer made by a certain snake salesman in Salt Lake City some years ago. I shot the first time a few day ago. I lined up on a 24 inch DishTV dish from less than 10 feet and unleashed this thunder bolt of retribution. The first barrel missed the Dish completely. The second barrel made a 75 caliber hole 10 inched left of center. I percieve that this hole was a byproduct of a tumbling projectile.

At this point I am probably without remedy from the manufacturer although I emailed them the circumstances but am waiting on a comment. I know the gun is not of a high degree of precision but I consider it unsafe to shoot a card cheat across a 6' table for fear of hitting the dealer by accident.

I think to participate in an upcoming police sponsored gun buy back and get a 100 dollar gift card for this ill fated derringer. I would not sell it to anyone in good conscience . Any ideas?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derringer was manufactured by Cobra Enterprises of Salt Lake City Utah.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Sounds to me like you got a good one. A derringer is a true 'Belly Gun', in that if you poked it into the belly of the attacker you might just hit them.

I bought a .22 derringer on impulse and found it a complete waste of money. They do look neat and you can carry it in any pocket and forget it is there, but they are impractical in that you only have two shots, and you'd be hard pressed to hit your foot if you tried do such a thing.

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Cobras (and the same gun under its previous name, Davises) are junk. Gun buy-back is a good way to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Cobra has an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau, mainly for unresolved complaints about the quality of their products - -

I think you have the right idea; dump it at a gun buy-back and let the police melt it down - -

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Or find some one who lives in Copperhead or Moccasin country to carry as snake gun. Two .38 Spl. CCI shot cartridges is nice too have and effective in such circumstances.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Well, firing a .38 from a barrel that is barely longer than the bullet is not going to get you much accuracy.. mine will hit the 8" target @ 15 feet about 80% of the time (not counting occasional misfires); leaves long tumble-holes.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You're actually lucky that both barrels fired. Usually (in my experience) only one does.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah, I had to do some tightening up here-and-there. The fit where the barrel locks down is not precision, and the lower barrel is usually the one that has too much distance to the firing pin.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I've had several over the years, the best was a Great Western, with it I could hit a man size target ( somewhere on the torso ) at 10 feet. I still have a little Davis .22 Magnum, that on treks in the boon docks when I don't want to carry anything heavier, I load it with CCI snake shot and a couple of regular rounds in my pocket. But unlike Audie Murphy. I could never shoot the buttons off a vest at 30 feet. It is truly a " shoot " and run gun. When you grow up with the Lone Ranger and the Durango Kid ( not even counting Tim Holt, Buster Crabb, Wild Bill Eilliott and all the rest of the B movies heros.) well heck, you have to have al least one Remington type derringer in your outfit:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've owned several derringers, they are really an upclose and personal weapon. Not much good at any distance. Cobra apparently bought out the Davis brand, I've owned guns with both names, they are mechanically identical. Trigger pulls tend to be very heavy, at least one of the 38's threw tumbling bullets too. As a belly gun that might be an advantage....loaded with shot loads they made a decent snake gun. There are much better quality ones out there (Bond, American Derringer) but they are a lot more expensive and heavier too as they are all steel, not zinc with steel inserts.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I also have a Cobra but in 9mm. Its about as accurate as yours. As stated in previous posts, its only meant for up close and personal defense. One thing I do like about it is that I don't need a holster to carry it. Just tuck it in the watch pocket of my jeans. And after a bunch of trigger and spring work I got it so it will fire both barrels reliably with about half the trigger pull of factory.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
.. As a belly gun that might be an advantage....loaded with shot loads they made a decent snake gun.
I had a box (tray of 5) of those .38 CCI shot loads, the darn thing used to get the plastic cap portion stuck in the barrel.. I'd like to try them again. Maybe they've improved in 30 years (?)

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
Nearly bought a Remington style o/u derringer in .45 Colt from a local cop back in the early '70s - can't recall the manufacturer. Had the opportunity to shoot the not so little beastie, and it'd hold minute of 55 gallon drum at 25 feet or so. Decided that two rounds and having to thumb cock the hammer between each wasn't what I was looking for, so stuck with my S&W Centennial .38 five shooter as my backup gun.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
At least I can put this one in a plastic zip lock bag under my motorcycle seat and leave it there. Nice to have something like that when you break down by the side of the road (that's happened once or twice in 38 years of riding).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Use it for trade fodder for something you really want. I did that with a .22 revolver at a gun show and the damn thing would shoot right 60% of the time then the cylinder would bind and or not cycle. You can't check it with that zip tie on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello folks. I was wondering after reading this discussion if the Cobra derringers you were discussing are in any way affiliated with Cobray firearms. I recently acquired the derringer pictured in a trade. It has cobray stamped into the grip and has Leinad inc. DUCKTOWN TN. Stamped into the left barrel. Mod. DD CAL.45. It is not the best made of firearms so I can see it being inaccurate.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts