desert eagle 50ae jamming

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ultramag, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ultramag

ultramag New Member

i have tried every different kind of factory ammo, several different types of bullets in handloads. dismantled the gun and cleaned every thing, and it still jams. may have to send in to factory for some work unless somebody has any ideas why this is happening. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on the type of jam - feeding or extracting/ejecting. The first think I think about when an autopistol jams is "limp-wristing". I don't know whether DEs are gas-operated or not, but even if they are it seems they would still need some amount of recoil-resistance. If you "give" with the recoil - that is, if you allow the recoil to direct your arm whichever way it wants to - back or up, it doesn't matter - then the gun does not have that recoil-resistance. This causes it to not function properly.

This, obviously, would not be the case if the first shell does not feed into the chamber. It might be, however, if subsequent shells don't feed upon firing.

3. ultramag

ultramag New Member

it is a feeding problem. thought about the limpwristing, it still jams no matter how stiff your wrists are. they are gas operated. i have tried hand loads on the light side and the hot side didnt make any difference.

4. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

My experience was with a .357 DE. I could not make the pistol work. It failed to feed / failed to eject right out of the box. I tried factory ammo, handloads........sent it back to Magnum Research ........still would not reliably cycle.....my advice is to get rid of it.

I have come to a very expensive conclusion, that Desert Eagle pistols are not quality products.

5. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Is the bullet head getting hung up on the feed ramp ?
    Cause if it is you might need to "smooth" it out a bit. From what I understand of it, you have 3 options,
    1 shoot, shoot, shoot, hopefully it will wear in.
    2 take a round file to it to make sure their are no burrs.
    3 (most recomended by the way) have someone like a gunsmith look at it and make some suggestions.

6. ultramag

ultramag New Member

i would tend to aggree with crockett, but it is so much fun to shoot even with the jamming problem. haligan, it is going up and hitting the ramp. i was hoping that someone on here might have had the same problem and may have a soltion. i may give the gunsmith a try. thanks for the info.

7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you tried other mags ?

How long since the recoil spring was changed ?

8. ultramag

ultramag New Member

that is one thing i have not tried is other mags. and i have not changed out the springs. springs never crossed my mind since i have only put about five hundred rounds through it. both are good suggestions.

9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

The recoil spring should be good for another 1000 rounds.

Mags can be a problem for any semi auto. I'd try another one and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

10. ultramag

ultramag New Member

i will get one ordered. thanks shooter.

11. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

If you press the bottom of the magazine while shooting, (Against your non shooting hand , a sandbag etc.) you'll certainly experience feeding problems.

12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have to go with a magazine change, there needs to be only a small error in the angle the round is presented to cause no end of problems. Its a shame you only seem to have the one. When I had a mag that caused problems, it was straight in the bin (trash) with it!!. Though save the spring, follower and base plate for spares.

While your waiting, you can look inside the slide and chamber for any scratch/ scrape marks that shouldnt be there. Often when a little dirty, anything scraping or catching where it souldnt can leave clues. The same for the brass, scrapes or dents will often point to the problem. Its a bit like being a detective!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  13. ultramag

ultramag New Member

inspected the slide and chamber and did not see anything funny there. ordered a couple of new mags and will give it a try. thanks

14. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine jams occasionally, usually due to limp wrist. Thats a hard beast to hang on to so it is easy to limp wrist. Also I think that the mags are the problem I have one original and three after market mags. I hadnt thought about them being the problem so in the future I will make a note which one I am using when jamming occurs. I recently replaced all the springs that I got from Magnum Research for $50. The ejector spring/rubber eraser? was in shreds when I took it apart. After the overhaul, it didnt jam for awhile but then started to jam again. This I attributed to fatigue as I shot 80, yes, 80 rounds in one session. I was not very popular to anyone on my right side that day. I got where I could shoot it one handed. I have about 500 rounds of ammo that I re-load. I use Speer 300 grain hollow points and use 34.2g exact of H-110. I am just under max load of 34.5 g and they perform great! I could load lighter but what the heck, I really get a kick out of the kick and the crowd seems to like it as well. You shoud see see the reaction of other shooters when I let them try a .50 for the first time.

15. ultramag

ultramag New Member

i let people try mine they usually say they would love to have one if it werent for the jamming, hopefully i will have that issue resolved soon. your load sounds pretty close to mine. if you like the 50ae you should try the 500s&w you will really get a kick out that beast.