Detail Stripping?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Toklat3, Apr 19, 2017.

1. larryh1108

larryh1108 New Member

Everything you say is 100% correct. I am not insinuating that you are wrong in anything you say and I have no doubt that you do great work at a reasonable price. I also agree that not checking out a gun thoroughly after someone "tinkered with it" is not smart. I guess we differ in I do not feel that detail stripping and cleaning a 1911 is any form of backwoods gunsmithing. I would also not drop what I am doing and run to the guy who brings in a box of parts and you have no idea what he did to the parts. That is foolish. If you have a counter man who is not doing a thing, knows how to assemble a 1911 and a regular walks in and says he needs help reassembling his 1911 and you determine no files and Dremels were used then in less than 15 minutes he can walk out with his 1911 assembled.

I stopped working on guns about 5 years ago when my hands started to get arthritic. I used to work gun shows and charge $35 for a detail clean/function check while they walked around the show. They were assembled when handed over and that makes a difference but you know and I know that a detail strip is not time consuming nor difficult. Of course, experience helps a lot. I can tell by feel and/or sound if something isn't right but that comes with years of experience and hundreds and hundreds of strips and assembly.

We aren't talking replacing parts, fitting parts, doing trigger jobs or anything requiring the next level of experience. We are talking a detail strip, something every 1911 owner should understand. I'm not saying every 1911 owner needs to know how to do it just understand it.

I guess you don't like that I feel that anyone with a decent understanding of working with tools and how things go together can easily learn to detail strip, clean and reassemble a 1911 if they follow instructions. My tips above were for nuances in the process and are usually not covered in the online videos. I'm not trying to write a tutorial on 1911s on a gun forum. Also, the mag lock looks like a tiny screw to the uninformed. The reference, in parenthesis, was to clarify it to someone who does not know what to look for. When I say "mag catch lock" he can visualize it. If that was my "not correct or accurate" then understand it was meant to help someone who may not know what to look for. The truth is it does look like a screw to the uninformed.

I may be understating how easy it is and you may be overstating how difficult it is. If you are not swapping out parts, polishing anything, refining the trigger or action, etc and all you are doing is wiping and oiling parts then you do not need a gunsmith to do this if you can follow directions and know how to use a screw driver and have some common sense. You know that there are guys who like to work with their hands. I'll stand by my statement that if you can do a detail strip you can see how wonderfully simple the 1911 is and how all the parts work together. There is nothing wrong with learning how your gun works if you stay within your limitations.

carver, Toklat3 and goofy like this.
  2. techiej

techiej Member

If you're just trying to get it completely clean you can do a "mostly" detail strip which is what I do every 5,000 rounds or so. In addition to the field strip I will remove the firing pin, extractor and clean those and the channels and replace the recoil spring while I'm at it.

In addition I will remove the grip panels and then clean the frame in a mineral spirits bath with a toothbrush. After letting it drain I use an air compressor to make sure it's completely dry then spray the internals with a dry lube (I use Hornady's one-shot gun cleaner/lube) and the use the air compressor again to make sure it's dry before re-assembling.

I only take it further down if there is a problem or if I need to replace the main (hammer) spring.

Only reason I don't take it down further is it's gotten harder for me with age due to arthritis, etc.

carver and Toklat3 like this.

3. Toklat3

Toklat3 Member

Thankyou Sir for the reply I will try that! I have only put about 400 rounds through since i bought it but dont know about previous owners.

carver likes this.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I would go so far to say that any mechanically minded 12 year old can totally strip and reassemble a 1911 without anything to go by even if he never saw one before. I know I did.

carver, Grizzley1 and Kweeksdraw like this.
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Thanks I needed a good laugh to start out my day:p:p:p;);):D:D:D:D:D:D

carver likes this.
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wait. You mean you have to clean these things???

:eek:

carver and crystalphoto like this.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I was serious. I took my dads Remington Rand all the way down when I was 12 and it wasn't a big deal to put back together. I bought a barreled receiver and a cigar box when I was 15 and a couple of hours later I had a working 94 Winchester and only had one other one in my hands once before then. It's not rocket science.

carver likes this.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I always have parts left over when I clean a forearm.:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've only done a complete strip down of my 1911 once. When I took it out of the packaging. The oil was running out of the thing.

10. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

I carried a 1911 for 20+ years in the army and all we did was field stripping. I've owned a couple of Springfield armory 1911's longer and the same thing . Not necessary to do a detail strip for cleaning,especially if this is new to you. I would recommend the field stripping for now and than purchase a good book on 1911's by Jerry Kuhnhausen

carver likes this.
  11. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I thought you just put them in the dishwasher

12. Jammersix

Jammersix Member

I clean my weapons every time they're fired. I detail strip them once a month.

Detail stripping is something you need to know how to do. It doesn't require a smith.

When you carried 1911s in the army, you had a number of armories and armorers at a few different levels backing you up, and they did detail strip your weapons. That you didn't know that is sort of amazing.

carver likes this.
  13. deingy

deingy Member

Unless there is a good reason to do more, just field strip, clean, oil, and inspect the rest of the gun. Removing the grips will expose anything else you would want to look at. Watch the movies and remember it is nowhere that easy.

PS. I have no idea what they are saying.

Kweeksdraw and carver like this.
  14. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I carried a Jim Clark custom for almost 30 years, and only did a complete strip, once! That won't happen again! I liked to have never got it reassembled. Thousands of rounds, and I only field strip it to clean it. I guess I'm not mechanically inclined!

Kweeksdraw, goofy and gdmoody like this.
  15. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 Member

Never Only field stripping for me, Afraid that I will never get it back together right again.

carver, Kweeksdraw and goofy like this.