The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife made us a batch of DEVILED EGGS to munch on this Memorial Day weekend.

She has a few good recipes for them but she made this one from the Martha Stewart Cookbook. We have a couple of her cookbooks but this is a very simple and delicious recipe only 5 ingredients.

Bon appetit !

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A little easier to read version of Martha Stewart's recipe.

I also like deviled eggs with a few drops of Frank's Red ♥ Hot sauce or Tabasco on mine especially together with hotdogs and sauerkraut !

Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    In a medium saucepan, cover eggs with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 12 minutes. Drain eggs; run under cold water until cool enough to handle.
  • Step 2
    Peel and halve eggs lengthwise; remove yolks and transfer to a bowl. Mash with a fork; mix in mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. Press through a sieve to make smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Step 3
    Using a pastry bag fitted with desired tip (we used plain and star tips), pipe yolk mixture into whites. Serve immediately, or chill up to 2 hours.
Cook's Notes
Instead of piping the filling with a pastry bag and tip, you can use a resealable plastic bag with a corner snipped off. Or simply spoon it into the egg whites.

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
At my house Kathy makes 'em, I just do the taste testing. :) Same with tater salad, she adds the stuff and I tell her when it's just right or if it needs a little more of something. For deviled eggs she uses mayo, a pinch of sugar, some yellow mustard and sweet pickle juice and a little bit of dill pickle juice.

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Showed this to the wife and she plans to try them out Monday !!!! My only real (y) or (n) with develed eggs is they got to be cooked firm not squishy .
The main difference for us is that Martha uses only Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar not just vinegar. And S&P to taste of course.

Had them again tonight quite tasty !

·
Registered
414 Posts
Real mayo, spicy brown mustard (or Grey Poupon if i have any) fresh chives (growing on the back deck) splash of Tabasco, splash of lemon juice, dust w/ paprika. Use a ziplock bag to fill the egg whites.

Oldest grandson is a professional chef. He makes SQUARE deviled eggs. Separates the whites, fill square cake pan 1/2 inch deep with egg whites, steams until done, cuts into squares. Steams egg yolks until hard, whips with mayo, mustard, splash of wine vinegar, puts in pastry bag, applies the whites, dust with dried parsley and paprika. People ask him "where do you get square eggs?" He tells them Nepal- land is very steep, square eggs don't roll away. .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Appreciate the recipes. I added a few to my Deviled eggs recipe files. 👍

I have an extensive file of various recipes that have been offered up by various Forum Brothers and Sisters, over the years. Always looking to add to it.

Keep em' coming.

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the ideas on deviled eggs.

This also reminds me that some simple recipes can also be delicious !

Bon appetit !
interjection French.
(I wish you) a hearty appetite.

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use Miracle whip, vinegar, sugar, salt/pepper, garlic powder and a bit of creamy horseradish in my deviled eggs, topped by a smidge of smoked paprika.
Some people have horseradish as a key topping on their deviled eggs...... which I occasionally like too.

I also like S&P and Frank's Red Hot sauce on my eggs, my wife isn't into hot stuff but will make a special batch just for me.

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Do you think balsamic vinegar is a good substitute for the wine vinegar?
I checked with my wife on this one she is big on the vinagrettes and balsamic stuff. She thinks it would be great on salads but questionable with deviled eggs. She's never heard of that in deviled egg recipes. Might be a personal or acquired taste thing you could try it out and let us know how much you liked it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts